BPAS PODCAST: 17th May '21 Episode 35: Barry Owen

Having finnaly got to listen to the whole thing one thing Barry said realy struck home as regards the future and that's the fans need to unite as one all the factions need to come together behind a figurehead .whom that figurehead is will possibley br the key .I look to city in the 80s with the forward with franny movement that eventualy restled control of the club a figure head like that could be the catlyst  Joe royle Andy Ritchie or someone similar ?? 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, peanuts2 said:

Having finnaly got to listen to the whole thing one thing Barry said realy struck home as regards the future and that's the fans need to unite as one all the factions need to come together behind a figurehead .whom that figurehead is will possibley br the key .I look to city in the 80s with the forward with franny movement that eventualy restled control of the club a figure head like that could be the catlyst  Joe royle Andy Ritchie or someone similar ?? 

Outside of football Francis Lee was a very successful businessman while Royle and Ritchie as far as we know haven't had any success in that area. Also Francis Lee's time as chairman of Man city was an unmitigated Disaster with 2 relegations.

Having said that if a consortium is trying to buy Latics then bringing a Royle or a Ritchie in in somekind of ambassadorial role would be a very good PR move and would unite the fans.

5 hours ago, mick26 said:

You're right there - the club is worth almost nothing.

The ground does have value and Blitz will get nearer to his valuation than AL will to his!

I think you said this the other day Mick. 

When we go into admin - who is going to pay 6 million for the ground?? Then pump in 2/3 million a year to run it?? 

There’s no way he’ll get that IMO. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think you said this the other day Mick. 

When we go into admin - who is going to pay 6 million for the ground?? Then pump in 2/3 million a year to run it?? 

There’s no way he’ll get that IMO. 

Where has this £2 to £3M per season figure come from?

I'll have to recalculate my Euromillions winnings plan!

The land has a tangible value to it the worst case scenario and Oldham Athletic ceases to be then you have a 20 plus acre site in a residential area which can be turned into houses or several other things even.

The club being valued at £5,million is value of Abdallah loans knowone with any sense will pay that for a business that consistently turns in a loss and with no assets. If the club goes bump then he doesn't getvthat back. 

So yes their is some logic to the ground valuation absolutely none whatsoever to the clubs.

9 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Where has this £2 to £3M per season figure come from?

I'll have to recalculate my Euromillions winnings plan!

The average wage bill in league two between 1 - 1.5 million a year. Then add in stadium up keep, staff costs, travel, medical, the pitch. Yes we get season ticket money and the EFL grant. (I’ll leave out the EFL loans as exceptional) but the short fall is massive. I think 2-3 million is conservative. For instance I think Bolton’s or Salford’s will be much higher. 

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The land has a tangible value to it the worst case scenario and Oldham Athletic ceases to be then you have a 20 plus acre site in a residential area which can be turned into houses or several other things even.

The club being valued at £5,million is value of Abdallah loans knowone with any sense will pay that for a business that consistently turns in a loss and with no assets. If the club goes bump then he doesn't getvthat back. 

So yes their is some logic to the ground valuation absolutely none whatsoever to the clubs.

But even then- 

What’s a developer going to do, pay twice it’s land value because it’s got a shiny a new stand that blitz wants his money back on? 

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The average wage bill in league two between 1 - 1.5 million a year. Then add in stadium up keep, staff costs, travel, medical, the pitch. Yes we get season ticket money and the EFL grant. (I’ll leave out the EFL loans as exceptional) but the short fall is massive. I think 2-3 million is conservative. For instance I think Bolton’s or Salford’s will be much higher. 

The accounts for 19/20 show a loss of £600k so Id say it won't necessarily be that much but it will be a significant amount.

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But even then- 

What’s a developer going to do, pay twice it’s land value because it’s got a shiny a new stand that blitz wants his money back on? 

The £6million includes the stand you can bulldoze it or convert it or turn it into flats. You can still easy make a profit 

That said I don't think that will happen and any one wanting to buy the club will want the ground and could probably will negotiate Blitz downwards.

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The accounts for 19/20 show a loss of £600k so Id say it won't necessarily be that much but it will be a significant amount.

The £6million includes the stand you can bulldoze it or convert it or turn it into flats. You can still easy make a profit 

That said I don't think that will happen and any one wanting to buy the club will want the ground and could probably will negotiate Blitz downwards.

If he sells the ground to somebody buying a football club, then yeah someone will be more amenable to negotiating because they obviously need the stands/pitch etc. So the land it sits on because irrelevant. 

If he sells the ground to tesco, the stand/s are irrelevant to them. The land is what they want. If blitz wants 6 million for the ground, but the land is only worth 2mill why would any company pay for something there going to knock down anyway? 

As you say, I don’t think the second example will ever happen for a number of reasons. So it will come down to how much he is willing to move, history says he doesn’t lose money. Which is a worry for us. 

12 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

The scary thing is I think Barry sees the figurehead as Barry 

14 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

l can probs guess who BO thinks it should be be..

Not a fan of trial by hindsight.  It has been a shitty position to be in for all those involved, including him, made worse by outside economic circumstances and internal politics over many years.

He's correct that it is impossible for the trust to run OAFC without financial backing.  Is the trust and club attractive enough to get that backing?  No... because... without repeating myself... Blitz wants £6m for a shit hole on 3 sides bolted on to a commercial disaster on the fourth side and AL wants his spend back.  Both deluded.

The North Stand ownership situation absolutely reeks and in my opinion he is correct that it makes no sense.

The current North Stand situation is every but as much the fault of the OEC in my opinion. I've always said that.  I think the OEC are playing games every but as much as Al is. He is absolutely correct that people were entering the ground without tickets. That is a fact.  Some individuals were lording up and acting like they owned the club on match days.

There is no doubt (and he admits it) that he is complicit in the dire straights that we find ourselves in along with a lot of other people who for some reason get away scot free.  It's just that for some reason, including some valid reasons, he is the target of all the hate. To be fair he accepts that.

He is not in any way a political animal. Ordinarily I like that but I'm not sure it is suited to the roles he has had.

Pretty clear to me that the club has in the past (and particularly since) the Three Amigo's attracted a low calibre of individuals at all levels... trust, board and ownership included. 

By the way can we avoid having anyone called Simon having anything to do with the club! 

By the way the stuff on Hughes and Evans was an unnecessary diversion, opinion was very split on those issues and dare I say it came across as a bit pompous and condescending from Andy. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but it was a bit off.

I cant see how it can be trial by hindsight when many, many people have been saying the same thing for years. And it took me quite some time.

If the stand is so dodgy, where is the evidence? None has been provided yet. It should be, publish and be damned.

Also the stadium for £6m, whilst unlikely to realise that is not just the stands, it is the land ripe for redevelopment and housing if you include the local plan. That valuation is based in some logic, even if that would not be the final sum paid. The owners £5m for the badge is the valuation that is in cloud cuckoo land, you'd have to spend £20m+ on top players to get that value.

25 minutes ago, singe said:

I cant see how it can be trial by hindsight when many, many people have been saying the same thing for years. And it took me quite some time.

If the stand is so dodgy, where is the evidence? None has been provided yet. It should be, publish and be damned.

I have a different view of Blitz and his current 'buddies' than you clearly. 

39 minutes ago, singe said:

Also the stadium for £6m, whilst unlikely to realise that is not just the stands, it is the land ripe for redevelopment and housing if you include the local plan. That valuation is based in some logic, even if that would not be the final sum paid. The owners £5m for the badge is the valuation that is in cloud cuckoo land, you'd have to spend £20m+ on top players to get that value.

Bet you think OJ Simpson was innocent as well

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Not a fan of trial by hindsight.  It has been a shitty position to be in for all those involved, including him, made worse by outside economic circumstances and internal politics over many years.

He's correct that it is impossible for the trust to run OAFC without financial backing.  Is the trust and club attractive enough to get that backing?  No... because... without repeating myself... Blitz wants £6m for a shit hole on 3 sides bolted on to a commercial disaster on the fourth side and AL wants his spend back.  Both deluded.

The North Stand ownership situation absolutely reeks and in my opinion he is correct that it makes no sense.

The current North Stand situation is every but as much the fault of the OEC in my opinion. I've always said that.  I think the OEC are playing games every but as much as Al is. He is absolutely correct that people were entering the ground without tickets. That is a fact.  Some individuals were lording up and acting like they owned the club on match days.

There is no doubt (and he admits it) that he is complicit in the dire straights that we find ourselves in along with a lot of other people who for some reason get away scot free.  It's just that for some reason, including some valid reasons, he is the target of all the hate. To be fair he accepts that.

He is not in any way a political animal. Ordinarily I like that but I'm not sure it is suited to the roles he has had.

Pretty clear to me that the club has in the past (and particularly since) the Three Amigo's attracted a low calibre of individuals at all levels... trust, board and ownership included. 

By the way can we avoid having anyone called Simon having anything to do with the club! 

By the way the stuff on Hughes and Evans was an unnecessary diversion, opinion was very split on those issues and dare I say it came across as a bit pompous and condescending from Andy. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but it was a bit off.

We appreciate your feedback kowenicki. In response to some of your comments above;

- We said on more than one occasion during the interview, "It's easy with the benefit of hindsight...."

- We believe the Trust could have been & achieved much more, had it been brave enough to take longer term decisions, as far back as 2010 when Blitz left. We respectfully disagree with Barry on this topic and would sight the success of other club's Trusts as tacit proof. Some of which we have interviewed in previous podcast episodes.

- Owing to it's nature/magnitude, It would have been a mistake not to have raised the Ched Evans affair with Barry, and we attempted to show balance while challenging his obvious view point, with the alternative of others - at the same time as acknowledging there were two clear camps.

Anyone is free to come on the podcast and present their view. We welcome all Latics fans and anyone with connections to the club. Everyone who appears will be treated with respect, but equally we will not duck the big questions.

59 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Bet you think OJ Simpson was innocent as well

😀 oh dear we had this discussion last year where you and Lags embarrassed yourselves 9 months on and no further evidence has been found.

Only a fool would believe Barry Owen.

4 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I think Barry Owen came across shockingly in trying to justify the signing. Again, bringing up his power by saying others were not in the meetings he had with Ched and go. 
Bizzare man. 

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I have a different view of Blitz and his current 'buddies' than you clearly. 

I don't think you do. But just hating the situation we are in and who put us there, is not the same as evidence of fraud.

Archived