BPAS PODCAST: 17th May '21 Episode 35: Barry Owen

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it thru. My fave bits-

Mohamed Lim Sang-Um

Abdallah Limzangum

He's worked with two of them from day one, so one of them must be how its pronounced. Wonder if he knows they're brothers and they've got the same name.

Matt goin 'lm sick of hearing the potential of Oldham Athletic, l wana see the [frantically tries not to say] potential of Oldham Athletic.'

😂😂

Barry saying 'we do ourselves down at Oldham' and how we've got loadsa  potential before about an hour later saying there's very little potential left at Oldham bc the Lim Sang-Um brothers have killed it off.

Barry implying that anybody who wants to drink in the north stand bar has to buy and produce a match ticket beforehand to stop terrorism 🙄🤮 then 'resting his case' bc he has 'read the book cover to cover'. It did help me understand why the potential fans bar that died a death could only open until 1300 tho. 

Andy 'Abdallah clearly doesn't care about the fans and..'

BAZZA INTERJECTS

'NO..no.. that is an unfair allegation against me.'

What Barry????

Then he started going on about showing tickets again. Disengeniusm (that a real word?) at its best.

'Do l come across OK, lads?'

🤮🤮 Could almost feel the awkwardness oozing out of my phone!!

Clear annoyance in Andy's voice by the end of it.

19 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The land has a tangible value to it the worst case scenario and Oldham Athletic ceases to be then you have a 20 plus acre site in a residential area which can be turned into houses or several other things even.

The club being valued at £5,million is value of Abdallah loans knowone with any sense will pay that for a business that consistently turns in a loss and with no assets. If the club goes bump then he doesn't getvthat back. 

So yes their is some logic to the ground valuation absolutely none whatsoever to the clubs.

The real value in the land would come if the Hospital ever looked to expand or build a huge shiny new department/centre. BP and the surrounding area then comes prime land and perfectly placed for a sale. 

That isn't happening anytime soon though. Residential land obviously makes a lot of money but we're still in Oldham where land and property are cheaper than most of the rest of the country. Does anyone know how much the land where the Clayton used to be went for? 

39 minutes ago, Roger Ritchie said:

The real value in the land would come if the Hospital ever looked to expand or build a huge shiny new department/centre. BP and the surrounding area then comes prime land and perfectly placed for a sale. 

That isn't happening anytime soon though. Residential land obviously makes a lot of money but we're still in Oldham where land and property are cheaper than most of the rest of the country. Does anyone know how much the land where the Clayton used to be went for? 

Can you answer my question- 

Why would ANY non football investor pay an over inflated price for the ‘land’ because the seller wants to recoup his money for a new building that sits on the land but that the buyer doesn’t want and will need to knock down? 

I can’t think of one example anywhere in society where this has happened. 

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Incidentally. Andy jumping in with a “or woman” made me laugh. 

Loretta life of Brian vibes... 

As much as I don't like what Barry has done, him not having a womb is not his fault. AL has done nothing to try and inprove the situation though. Abdallah out!

I'm trying to do a bit of good with the money I'm withholding from the clowns. I've directed some to the purchase of a BPAS t-shirt. I only ordered it yesterday and it arrived today. I'm very pleased with the design and quality. 

I can recommend getting one. Support the lads and the podcast.

9 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Incidentally. Andy jumping in with a “or woman” made me laugh. 

Loretta life of Brian vibes... 

You ok? Said that twice now yano 😂

*hopes it was actually Kov but asif l'm ever gna check sumat before talking

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Why would ANY non football investor pay an over inflated price for the ‘land’ because the seller wants to recoup his money for a new building that sits on the land but that the buyer doesn’t want and will need to knock down? 

And who wants to be the developer building on the carcass of where a football club used to be, assuming we haven't left of our own accord.

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

And who wants to be the developer building on the carcass of where a football club used to be, assuming we haven't left of our own accord.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Aye. 

I can think of much better PR. 

If it went house building then believe me PR doesn’t come into it - planning for  343 houses has been granted to a developer on open green space near me to the uproar of locals and they quite frankly couldn’t care less despite local news and pressure to the council 

I work in construction, though civil engineering, if the £££’s out weigh the PR they’ll crack on - the football club is worthless as is the land for anything other than the club whilst the club sit on it. If the club went bust Blitz would get his asking price no doubt 

5 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

If it went house building then believe me PR doesn’t come into it - planning for  343 houses has been granted to a developer on open green space near me to the uproar of locals and they quite frankly couldn’t care less despite local news and pressure to the council 

I work in construction, though civil engineering, if the £££’s out weigh the PR they’ll crack on - the football club is worthless as is the land for anything other than the club whilst the club sit on it. If the club went bust Blitz would get his asking price no doubt 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I get the point about PR- money talks. 

Can you answer the above though Chaddy seeing as though you’re in the game. 

It makes no sense to me why anyone would do it. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I get the point about PR- money talks. 

Can you answer the above though Chaddy seeing as though you’re in the game. 

It makes no sense to me why anyone would do it. 

Probably not I’m in Health and Safety not an expert on the commercial side though you get to pick up the gist - the land isn’t worth a great deal whilst the club sits on it as you would need to want to buy the club too and either move it or run it out of business first - that would be a PR disaster and even the EFL should spot that plan before it got there. 

So you are right - as long as the club exists then Blitz and AL are in la la land - if the club ceased to exist ala Bury then that land would be worth a lot more as the cost of demolishing BP would easily be recouped in Housing prices - which is why I’m not quite as sure of Blitz “not allowing the club to die” as others - he stands a much greater chance of recouping his money if it did just that 

AL on the other hand he’s fucked if he thinks he’s getting his outlay back never mind a profit - SC well and truly had his pants down and he’s proven to be fairly thick 

20 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Probably not I’m in Health and Safety not an expert on the commercial side though you get to pick up the gist - the land isn’t worth a great deal whilst the club sits on it as you would need to want to buy the club too and either move it or run it out of business first - that would be a PR disaster and even the EFL should spot that plan before it got there. 

So you are right - as long as the club exists then Blitz and AL are in la la land - if the club ceased to exist ala Bury then that land would be worth a lot more as the cost of demolishing BP would easily be recouped in Housing prices - which is why I’m not quite as sure of Blitz “not allowing the club to die” as others - he stands a much greater chance of recouping his money if it did just that 

AL on the other hand he’s fucked if he thinks he’s getting his outlay back never mind a profit - SC well and truly had his pants down and he’s proven to be fairly thick 

Cheers. 👍🏻

Football Grounds are usually covered by a covenant that says that the land can only be used for sports purposes.

The proposal to build our ground on Clayton Playing Fields was only going to be allowed on the condition that they had to provide football pitches at an alternative place.

It was interesting how strongly BO confirmed that MO interfered with player selections.  

We all kind of know this from players banished and the inexplicable playing of some of the worst players who were then allowed on the pitch again the next match ( usually in very strange substitutions with 10 minutes to go)

Surely Mo can’t keep persuading his brother that things are getting better.  Surely he cannot say to his brother, “it wasn’t my fault, it was everyone else” because he has had a huge say in everything which has gone wrong. Manager recruitment and retention, players recruitment and who to play, CEO selection, sponsors and season ticket gate.  How can he possibly wriggle out of blame for the failure to progress?

8 hours ago, Emcee_Latic said:

Football Grounds are usually covered by a covenant that says that the land can only be used for sports purposes.

The proposal to build our ground on Clayton Playing Fields was only going to be allowed on the condition that they had to provide football pitches at an alternative place.

Ours has a ten year covenant on it during the TTA’s reign - not sure when it runs out 

Considering that their are houses where Highbury stood I can’t imagine it’s an insurmountable obstacle at any rate 

19 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Ours has a ten year covenant on it during the TTA’s reign - not sure when it runs out 

Considering that their are houses where Highbury stood I can’t imagine it’s an insurmountable obstacle at any rate 

yes, it’s pretty much how the big developers get planning through....they first say they are going to build 2,000 houses and napalm the council offices. The council reacts in horror so the developers re-submit the application asking for just 1,000 houses and call off the air strike. The council claims they have won a great victory and approves the build (despite 97% of locals objecting)

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

38 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

yes, it’s pretty much how the big developers get planning through....they first say they are going to build 2,000 houses and napalm the council offices. The council reacts in horror so the developers re-submit the application asking for just 1,000 houses and call off the air strike. The council claims they have won a great victory and approves the build (despite 97% of locals objecting)

There is no covenant. See Blitz Q&A answer from Jan 2020:

https://pushtheboundary.co.uk/blitz-q-a

14 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Have I? 🤪

Think so. Altho once or twice a year l vividly dream sumat and then it happens!!

Usually stuff like words for a weddin/funeral speach or a bet to place, never run of the mill owtb posting before l don't think 🧐

Be mazin if that means l'm set for a nice quiet few years but l highly doubt it ha

I've just asked this on another thread but does anyone know how long is left on the lease that the club has? I could be way out but from memory it's only about 10 years or less which is not long at all. The clock is ticking and we could be homeless. We need an owner who can buy the lot if we are ever to move forward in the slightest. I've always felt Blitz would be happy to see the club go under as it would then allow him to build on the land and in my eyes it's worth far more without a club than with one.

Archived