BPAS PODCAST: 17th May '21 Episode 35: Barry Owen

32 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I agree with you about going to press with it, I certainly wouldn't have done but maybe the club were trying to let the fans know, I don't know the reason for it. I'd hazard a guess the police haven't got the resources to take on the investigation, just as they wouldn't carry out an investigation if you reported you'd have your house broken into and had a TV stolen. They'd come round give you a crime number for you to claim off the insurance and get on with what they believed were more important issues. I'd bet if we were in London, where the Met Police have a dedicated team to deal with reports of financial fraud because the city of london is the financial capital, it just may well have been investigated. Anyway, they are other authorities who can look into these matters.

The Met Police and the City of London Police are entirely different forces.  Hardly surprising that the CofLP have an interest in fraud cases - although having reported several to them as part of my daily work I've never seen anything useful come back

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well Barry said the grants were around £700k.

I've no idea what Barry said regarding the grants, i know what i asked when i wrote to Jim Mcmahon about 5 years ago and i know the answers i got then

3 minutes ago, singe said:

You're going to have to explain the relevance of that red herring. No wonder people are disbelieving if that's the stength of the argument.

You brought Northamptonshire Police into it, i was merely asking if they had been placed under special measures due to failing to report a fifth all crimes reported to them as Greater Manchester Police have which is well known as it only happened fairly recently. Perhaps, being under special measures and a new Chief Super and a little pressure from some other authorities they may well want to take another look if it was reported again.

8 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I've no idea what Barry said regarding the grants, i know what i asked when i wrote to Jim Mcmahon about 5 years ago and i know the answers i got then

and he said the grants were how much?  I'd love the club to own the stand - just don't see it as a very likely scenario unless the grants covered the whole of the construction of it as we all know that club didn't have a pot to piss in then.

7 minutes ago, PeteG said:

You brought Northamptonshire Police into it, i was merely asking if they had been placed under special measures due to failing to report a fifth all crimes reported to them as Greater Manchester Police have which is well known as it only happened fairly recently. Perhaps, being under special measures and a new Chief Super and a little pressure from some other authorities they may well want to take another look if it was reported again.

Nothing to do with me, Barry bought Northamptonshire police into it by comparing our situation to theirs on the podcast. You then said they wouldn't waste their time, so I pointed out even little Northants police did in the situation Barry is comparing it to.

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

and he said the grants were how much?  I'd love the club to own the stand - just don't see it as a very likely scenario unless the grants covered the whole of the construction of it as we all know that club didn't have a pot to piss in then.

You are focusing on the wrong thing with all due respect. Blitz said the club owned the stand when it was completed (not strictly true as it's still not actually completed) so forget about how the club could afford to build it. Let's focus on the club transferring the stand to Brassbank and why? Supposedly to settle a debt of £3.8 million that the club owed Brassbank however, why not re-mortgage the stand in order to pay Brassbank, surely they could have took out a mortgage for £3.8 million on the stand and then ran it to fund the mortgage and also the club. Also, have the club got evidence of this loan from Brassbank and if so what the terms of repayment etc. Only then will we know if the transfer of the deed was above board and who authorised the transfer as i'm led to believe it would have had to be a board decision.

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

You are focusing on the wrong thing with all due respect. Blitz said the club owned the stand when it was completed (not strictly true as it's still not actually completed) so forget about how the club could afford to build it. Let's focus on the club transferring the stand to Brassbank and why? Supposedly to settle a debt of £3.8 million that the club owed Brassbank however, why not re-mortgage the stand in order to pay Brassbank, surely they could have took out a mortgage for £3.8 million on the stand and then ran it to fund the mortgage and also the club. Also, have the club got evidence of this loan from Brassbank and if so what the terms of repayment etc. Only then will we know if the transfer of the deed was above board and who authorised the transfer as i'm led to believe it would have had to be a board decision.

Re-mortgage the stand?  Who with?  Who would provide a mortgage of that size on an unfinished stand when the club was running on fumes and the ability to repay said mortgage was likely to be dependent on the unfinished stand generating revenue?  Remember at the time we were reduced to borrowing form the shadowy Necarcu which suggests mainstream lenders weren't in a rush to provide funds.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Re-mortgage the stand?  Who with?  Who would provide a mortgage of that size on an unfinished stand when the club was running on fumes and the ability to repay said mortgage was likely to be dependent on the unfinished stand generating revenue?  Remember at the time we were reduced to borrowing form the shadowy Necarcu which suggests mainstream lenders weren't in a rush to provide funds.

Well Brassbank managed to get a mortgage on it!

19 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

None of us know the details.  However, the idea that people can point to Blitz’s words as entirely honest and transparent, effectively defending him, is bewildering. 

edit. I include the FLG and (particularly) the current management of the OEC in that too. 

The onus and burden of proof currently sits with Barry as everything in the public domain contradicts him. It's a strawman argument to say that is defending Blitz.

And again it is in most fans interest that Barry is right. To protect themselves from possible future complaint and cesnsure it is also in the police, Council and HMRC to imvestigate if there is even a suspicion of fraud.

Time to put up or shut up.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

They have other assets.  The club doesn't.  

Fair point however, were the club given the opportunity to look into financing a deal to keep the stand or did Brassbank just take the stand?

2 minutes ago, singe said:

The onus and burden of proof currently sits with Barry as everything in the public domain contradicts him. It's a strawman argument to say that is defending Blitz.

And again it is in most fans interest that Barry is right. To protect themselves from possible future complaint and cesnsure it is also in the police, Council and HMRC to imvestigate if there is even a suspicion of fraud.

Don't think it's a HMRC issue to be honest but i get your point. Let's hope some of the authorities have the decency to at least look into it.

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Fair point however, were the club given the opportunity to look into financing a deal to keep the stand or did Brassbank just take the stand?

I don't think even the dodgy Scouse solicitors were prepared to take that big a risk..

10 minutes ago, singe said:

Agreed. My point stands. 

Sick to death of this smoke and mirrors crap that has engulfed OAFC since TTA were in power and has got worse under the tenure of Abdallah. 

99% of the club's long suffering supporters just want all ties cut with TTA/Blitz/ALMO and give us the chance to fight for the club we love that we grew up with. 

I don't know what Barry knows, I don't know what OMBC and what Blitz knows- all I do know is that the North Stand debacle is dragging a once great club through the mire again, meanwhile us supporters get shat on by having what should be the best facilities at the ground not available for use on Match days and the club having no way of generating income from it. 

What a fucking mess this club has become, no wonder fans have turned their back on it in their droves, we get sub-standard players foisted upon us, sub-standard facilities from which to watch, no communication from the owners (meanwhile the fucking Aussies did last season), a complete revolving door of managers (no need for a door tbh), a complete shitshow at the top of the club - rotten to the core, sick to death of the lot of them. 

Just piss off the fucking lot of them and I will just live with my memories of a fabulous little Lancashire club that played in tangerine and blue, scored and let goals in aplenty, went up in 1971 and again in 1974, were great at home until 1994 - reached Wembley and the First Division & Premier League against the odds competing against much bigger clubs. A club that had pride in itself and was loved by many (if not all the townsfolk). A well respected club under the mid 1990s but one which fell apart after Chris Moore and in truth, looks like it will never recover to even a respectable community club under these unfit owners.        

10 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Sick to death of this smoke and mirrors crap that has engulfed OAFC since TTA were in power and has got worse under the tenure of Abdallah. 

99% of the club's long suffering supporters just want all ties cut with TTA/Blitz/ALMO and give us the chance to fight for the club we love that we grew up with. 

I don't know what Barry knows, I don't know what OMBC and what Blitz knows- all I do know is that the North Stand debacle is dragging a once great club through the mire again, meanwhile us supporters get shat on by having what should be the best facilities at the ground not available for use on Match days and the club having no way of generating income from it. 

What a fucking mess this club has become, no wonder fans have turned their back on it in their droves, we get sub-standard players foisted upon us, sub-standard facilities from which to watch, no communication from the owners (meanwhile the fucking Aussies did last season), a complete revolving door of managers (no need for a door tbh), a complete shitshow at the top of the club - rotten to the core, sick to death of the lot of them. 

Just piss off the fucking lot of them and I will just live with my memories of a fabulous little Lancashire club that played in tangerine and blue, scored and let goals in aplenty, went up in 1971 and again in 1974, were great at home until 1994 - reached Wembley and the First Division & Premier League against the odds competing against much bigger clubs. A club that had pride in itself and was loved by many (if not all the townsfolk). A well respected club under the mid 1990s but one which fell apart after Chris Moore and in truth, looks like it will never recover to even a respectable community club under these unfit owners.        

Bit early on a Monday to have been on the Holts

3 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Bit early on a Monday to have been on the Holts

You seem to know a lot about all the shenanigans at the club PeteG, seem to recall you once asking who Mike Halliwell was when he was standing for Trust election even though you actually took him to a Trust meeting.... part of the problem too.  

Never too early to participate in the Holts when thinking about the carnage at OAFC - gone forever I fear.   

3 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

You seem to know a lot about all the shenanigans at the club PeteG, seem to recall you once asking who Mike Halliwell was when he was standing for Trust election even though you actually took him to a Trust meeting.... part of the problem too.  

Never too early to participate in the Holts when thinking about the carnage at OAFC - gone forever I fear.   

I've never taken Mike Halliwell to a trust meeting, I've attended one trust meeting in my life. I'm sure the lad is capable of getting himself to a trust meeting if he wanted to. So i'm part of the problem? What for pointing out i'm not convinced the whole North Stand is kosher? You might want to look at some of your mates role in all this, such as the FLG who look to profit out of the football club.

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I've never taken Mike Halliwell to a trust meeting, I've attended one trust meeting in my life. I'm sure the lad is capable of getting himself to a trust meeting if he wanted to. So i'm part of the problem? What for pointing out i'm not convinced the whole North Stand is kosher? You might want to look at some of your mates role in all this, such as the FLG who look to profit out of the football club.

Not saying you are the problem Pete, more that Mike was - the same Mike you asked about on OWTB when he was going to stand for Trust yet you knew him.  I hear that you are on the same bowling team as him (might be wrong but that was from a fella in Bury who asked if I knew Mike Halliwell and Pete Gladwin).  Mike was going to apply to be on the Trust as a fan but had a business relationship with the club and Mo/ AL as far as his rant shows after his sponsors pulled out.        

The North Stand debacle set me off on my rant, it really shouldn't be beyond the whit of man to sort the bloody thing out but between all parties it hasn't been. 

My mates role???? Who are you on about? I can only assume you mean Paul Whitehead, he is the only member of the FLG I know. I am on nodding terms with Simon Brooke but have no idea who else are in the FLG if anyone.  I am not interested in the slightest about the ins and outs of the North Stand - I have known Paul Whitehead as a fan from the far back days of Barlows coaches in the early 1970s. I have no idea what he does in the FLG or in anything else for that matter, I know him as a fan pure and simple. 

I will agree with you- the North Stand debacle needs fixing on behalf of everyone concerned with OAFC - but that is only one bit of a myriad of issues currently besetting a once great club that has been dragged into the mire.              

I am a supporter of OAFC, pure and simple. I have absolutely no ulterior motive other than to desire the club  that has been my club since 1969 and my family club since the 1930s to return to better health both on and off the pitch.     

4 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Not saying you are the problem Pete, more that Mike was - the same Mike you asked about on OWTB when he was going to stand for Trust yet you knew him.  I hear that you are on the same bowling team as him (might be wrong but that was from a fella in Bury who asked if I knew Mike Halliwell and Pete Gladwin).  Mike was going to apply to be on the Trust as a fan but had a business relationship with the club and Mo/ AL as far as his rant shows after his sponsors pulled out.        

The North Stand debacle set me off on my rant, it really shouldn't be beyond the whit of man to sort the bloody thing out but between all parties it hasn't been. 

My mates role???? Who are you on about? I can only assume you mean Paul Whitehead, he is the only member of the FLG I know. I am on nodding terms with Simon Brooke but have no idea who else are in the FLG if anyone.  I am not interested in the slightest about the ins and outs of the North Stand - I have known Paul Whitehead as a fan from the far back days of Barlows coaches in the early 1970s. I have no idea what he does in the FLG or in anything else for that matter, I know him as a fan pure and simple. 

I will agree with you- the North Stand debacle needs fixing on behalf of everyone concerned with OAFC - but that is only one bit of a myriad of issues currently besetting a once great club that has been dragged into the mire.              

I am a supporter of OAFC, pure and simple. I have absolutely no ulterior motive other than to desire the club  that has been my club since 1969 and my family club since the 1930s to return to better health both on and off the pitch.     

Fair comments except I don't bowl so not sure where that's come from, i couldn't tell you if Mike Halliwell does or not. I was referring to Paul Whitehead and I don't know what role he plays, except that he built the stand, money that Blitz said he lent to the club he paid directly to him (Blitzs words at the Q&A) and now he's running the OEC which i presume is to try and make a profit out of. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but most clubs at our level struggle to get by as it is but when you have 3 different entities trying to run a business out of 1 club/ground it makes it almost impossible and therefore the club suffers and we become less attractive to any potential investors. If they had the clubs real interests at heart they would step aside from the OEC because as far as I can see matters got a lot worse when they involved themselves in it.

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Come on PeteG

You know where the bodies are buried don't you

Spill the beans on the North Stand build 

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

Fair comments except I don't bowl so not sure where that's come from, i couldn't tell you if Mike Halliwell does or not. I was referring to Paul Whitehead and I don't know what role he plays, except that he built the stand, money that Blitz said he lent to the club he paid directly to him (Blitzs words at the Q&A) and now he's running the OEC which i presume is to try and make a profit out of. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but most clubs at our level struggle to get by as it is but when you have 3 different entities trying to run a business out of 1 club/ground it makes it almost impossible and therefore the club suffers and we become less attractive to any potential investors. If they had the clubs real interests at heart they would step aside from the OEC because as far as I can see matters got a lot worse when they involved themselves in it.

The OEC and the ‘management’ of it is a joke. A lot of, what turned out to be, guff spouted in that early period of the FLG. Their site is still there to reminisce too...

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

I don’t know what you’re confused about. 

The council gave grant/s to build a stand. 

There is a stand. 

When Blitz said the club own it, what he may of meant was. . . 

I own the stand because effectively I paid for the vast majority of it, the stand is built which satisfies the grants and I wanted some of my debt back ASAP. So I transferred the stand to my other company, so I could get my money back quicker and set the rate of the SLA. I’d rather do this because if I leave it in the clubs hands, they will want as much of the money as they can can get out of it, and it will take a lot longer to get my money back. 

Putting his interests above the above club- Yes-(as he entitled to) 

Illegal - far from it. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t know what you’re confused about. 

The council gave grant/s to build a stand. 

There is a stand. 

When Blitz said the club own it, what he may of meant was. . . 

I own the stand because effectively I paid for the vast majority of it, the stand is built which satisfies the grants and I wanted some of my debt back ASAP. So I transferred the stand to my other company, so I could get my money back quicker and set the rate of the SLA. I’d rather do this because if I leave it in the clubs hands, they will want as much of the money as they can can get out of it, and it will take a lot longer to get my money back. 

Putting his interests above the above club- Yes-(as he entitled to) 

Illegal - far from it. 

Do you not think it odd though that the owners of the club who had engaged with a local company to build the North Stand, subsequently paid that contractor intermittently to the degree the local company folded owing lots of sub contractors and local suppliers £thousands

The club owners would have saved £tens of thousands by not paying the contractor and get a 3/4 finished build supplemented with Council funding but its not owned by the club 🤷‍♂️its owned by the club owners 

Archived