BPAS PODCAST: 24th May '21 Episode 36: The One After The Barry Owen Episode

17 minutes ago, BPAS said:

We're not finding it tricky..... being balanced, whilst also taking a position on a topic. We're openly supporting PTB's stance on wanting the owner's out. Yet, we'd still treat Abdallah or Mohamed with respect - anybody, Barry included deserves that much - if we got the opportunity to interview them.

We don't want Barry 'involved' any more than you do, but speaking to him and listening to what he has to say can be both revealing and confirming in the same breath. Until the club is under a new owner, ideally one owner of both land and club, why ignore Barry if he can be of help (because of what/who he knows) in moving on those who have cast such a dark shadow over this club for at least 10 years. That's all we're saying. In short, don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

I was trying to look at it from your perspective, but if you don’t find it tricky then fair enough. I’ve misunderstood you’re position if in affect you’re not saying the above to placate certain contributions. 

For instance I’m struggling to see what information you think he has that will help us move forward, and that isn’t- A, Under some sort of self appointed investigation, and can’t be shared.
B. He can’t talk about for legal reasons.

C. Isn’t made up. (I’m not being glib)

D. He’ll share without wanting something in return.

E. The information he gives will be impartial and without agenda or bias. 

In other words, I don’t trust a single word he says. 

I didn’t find one thing he said informative or helpful in shaping our future. Interesting and in places confirming- yes. But that’s akin to being down the pub with an old director whose spilling the beans on his time. Of course it’s interesting because we’re getting an insight into something we all love. However that’s very different to credibility of information, or that person being a reliable source moving forward. For example, you talked on today’s pod with Andy about he still believes the north stand is owned by Latics. I find it frankly astonishing that he deludes himself with that notion, and/or still sticks to it. It’s embarrassing. Meanwhile-  back in the world Blitz takes people to court for what he is owed, and gets paid. 

You had the time with him, and if you honestly think he has something to offer, even in a small way. Then we’ll have to agree to disagree. 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I was trying to look at it from your perspective, but if you don’t find it tricky then fair enough. I’ve misunderstood you’re position if in affect you’re not saying the above to placate certain contributions. 

For instance I’m struggling to see what information you think he has that will help us move forward, and that isn’t- A, Under some sort of self appointed investigation, and can’t be shared.
B. He can’t talk about for legal reasons.

C. Isn’t made up. (I’m not being glib)

D. He’ll share without wanting something in return.

E. The information he gives will be impartial and without agenda or bias. 

In other words, I don’t trust a single word he says. 

I didn’t find one thing he said informative or helpful in shaping our future. Interesting and in places confirming- yes. But that’s akin to being down the pub with an old director whose spilling the beans on his time. Of course it’s interesting because we’re getting an insight into something we all love. However that’s very different to credibility of information, or that person being a reliable source moving forward. For example, you talked on today’s pod with Andy about he still believes the north stand is owned by Latics. I find it frankly astonishing that he deludes himself with that notion, and/or still sticks to it. It’s embarrassing. Meanwhile-  back in the world Blitz takes people to court for what he is owed, and gets paid. 

You had the time with him, and if you honestly think he has something to offer, even in a small way. Then we’ll have to agree to disagree. 

We don't want to be finding ourselves treading on eggshells in order to placate. I hope you'll agree we're trying to ask the difficult questions, of everyone on all sides, nor are we afraid of taking a position if we feel the weight of evidence suggests it is the right one to take. We agree that it's highly unlikely Barry's position on North stand ownership is the correct one. We laid bare what we know on this episode and it seems all is above board. We look forward to speaking with Simon Brooke & in a much detail as we did with Barry in the coming week or two. We'd like to get Simon Blitz on too.

Your A-E points are all valid and worthy of consideration and we're not naïve to any of them, I think we showed as much in the way we conducted the interview, however Barry's contacts experience of working with the EFL/FA for instance and/or with other football clubs, such as Newport, could be of use & arguably come with less of A-E to consider..... and that's all we're really saying. Don't close the door and be prepared to talk. Stockport, Leyton Orient, Portsmouth and Brentford have all been on the pod over the season and all say supporters need to be united if they want to affect change. PTB are meeting Blackpool this week and will be on next week's episode to tell us what they learned from that conversation.

1 minute ago, BPAS said:

We don't want to be finding ourselves treading on eggshells in order to placate. I hope you'll agree we're trying to ask the difficult questions, of everyone on all sides, nor are we afraid of taking a position if we feel the weight of evidence suggests it is the right one to take. We agree that it's highly unlikely Barry's position on North stand ownership is the correct one. We laid bare what we know on this episode and it seems all is above board. We look forward to speaking with Simon Brooke & in a much detail as we did with Barry in the coming week or two. We'd like to get Simon Blitz on too.

Your A-E points are all valid and worthy of consideration and we're not naïve to any of them, I think we showed as much in the way we conducted the interview, however Barry's contacts experience of working with the EFL/FA for instance and/or with other football clubs, such as Newport, could be of use & arguably come with less of A-E to consider..... and that's all we're really saying. Don't close the door and be prepared to talk. Stockport, Leyton Orient, Portsmouth and Brentford have all been on the pod over the season and all say supporters need to be united if they want to affect change. PTB are meeting Blackpool this week and will be on next week's episode to tell us what they learned from that conversation.

Fair enough Matt. 

For the record- I’m not in any way knocking your effort mate. I genuinely love the pod. It’s the only good thing about the club at the minute. 👍🏻

Your over arching point about not closing the door is understandable when we’re in a crisis.  I just really struggle with that where Barry is concerned. 

Let’s see what unfolds in the coming weeks and months. 

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fair enough Matt. 

For the record- I’m not in any way knocking your effort mate. I genuinely love the pod. It’s the only good thing about the club at the minute. 👍🏻

Your over arching point about not closing the door is understandable when we’re in a crisis.  I just really struggle with that where Barry is concerned. 

I second this Matt. 

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fair enough Matt. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I second this Matt. 

Thanks both. We really appreciate you support and your feedback. We're listening and want to help unite so we can force change. To us, it feels like momentum is swinging our way.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:02 AM, Dave_Og said:

I wish we could commonly refer to 'the North stand' as 'the Joe Royle stand'.  I'd have thought it would even give a subconscious emotional, behavioural push to getting the damn thing open again, as well as being accurate.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:19 AM, oafc1955 said:

Absolutely.....Joe Royle must be made up that there’s a stand named after him that we don’t even use!!!

On 5/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, BPAS said:

I suspect folk would be more likely to if it wasn't such a bone of contention. Our subconscious doesn't want to sully the great man's reputation by associating it at this moment in time.

Just a thought, is it possible you could speak to Joe Royle and show him the PTB fans petition.

Then see if he’s willing to back the fans maybe even signing the petition himself and objecting to his name being used on a stand that is at the centre of a lot of the grief.

Maybe this is something that could possibly attract a wider press interest in the petition etc.

Great work guys btw BPAS and PTB 👏👍

1 hour ago, WLYOWD said:

Just a thought, is it possible you could speak to Joe Royle and show him the BPAS fans petition.

Then see if he’s willing to back the fans maybe even signing the petition himself and objecting to his name being used on a stand that is at the centre of a lot of the grief.

Maybe this is something that could possibly attract a wider press interest in the petition etc.

Great work guys btw BPAS and PTB 👏👍

Fantastic idea. 

8 hours ago, WLYOWD said:

I did get my acronyms mixed up though, l meant the PTB fans petition not BPAS. 

Need to be a rapper to keep up with all the acronyms atm 😂

I keep thinking of OASF as SOFA.🥴

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived