BPAS PODCAST: 31st May '21 Episode 37: KC & The Suspect Stand

31 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Manchester Evening News

• 12:14, 28 JUL 2011

Oldham Athletic are set to stay at Boundary Park, we can reveal.

It is understood council bosses want to give the club £5.7m to redevelop the crumbling 107-year-old ground – which would end plans to move elsewhere.

The cash injection will be used to build a new North Stand, we understand.

The plans are expected to be rubber-stamped at a meeting of town hall bosses on Monday.

Oldham council leader Jim McMahon said: "We don’t want the club to leave the town on our watch.

"This mess has been going on for 10 years. It’s now down to Oldham Athletic to make this a success.

"We wanted to keep the club in the town and we have done that."

The League One club had hoped to sell up and switch to a brand new 12,000-capacity stadium which was to be built in Failsworth.

They spent around £5m acquiring land close to Broadway in preparation for the move.

But those plans dramatically collapsed in February when the Charity Commission ruled a stadium could not be built on the site thanks to a covenant dating back to the First World War.

As a result Latics were left facing financial ruin as investors in the project pulled the plug.

Other sites in the town have since been looked at for a new base.

And on Monday proposals for the council to buy the Lancaster Club, part of the land, from Latics will go before a cabinet meeting.

It is thought any funds raised would go towards the Latics redevelopment with the Lancaster Club possibly being turned into a leisure complex.

The deal, which a council source said totalled £5.7m, includes funds from the sale of the Lancaster Club, a three-year loan and a separate land sale.

Nobody at Oldham Athletic wished to comment although a club source said the agreement was verbal and that some scepticism remained.

It is thought the deal includes a clause which stipulates that it will only go ahead if the money is used to build a new facility which will replace the bulldozed Broadway stand.

That is likely to include a hotel, conference facilities and a number of retail outlets, although planning has not yet begun.

Councillor McMahon added: "We have been working hard since regarding control of Oldham Council to resolve the long running saga of Oldham Athletic.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Easy to forget how long this has been dragging on for 😧

All quite accurate that article to be fair except the bit about what the purchase of the Lancaster Club was as it was absolutely nowhere near £5 million. In fact if my sources are correct, it was nowhere near 7 figures at all.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, latics22 said:

I'm not a fan of the flg, what have they actually done ? Paul Whitehouse seems a nasty piece of work on Twitter anyone questions him get a abuse. Another person who uses Twitter drunk I guess. 

I quite like Paul Whitehouse, and certainly prefer him to Harry Enfield!

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

All quite accurate that article to be fair except the bit about what the purchase of the Lancaster Club was as it was absolutely nowhere near £5 million. In fact if my sources are correct, it was nowhere near 7 figures at all.

Well to be fair PeteG, I cant really change bits in an article that's been in the public domain for years

1 minute ago, tGWB said:

Well to be fair PeteG, I cant really change bits in an article that's been in the public domain for years

Sorry, wasn't suggesting you could or should. It was just an observation about the article really. What is clear, all communication from the time suggest it was the councils intention that the club should be the beneficiary of the new stand.

13 minutes ago, PeteG said:

According to Simon Blitz the Lancaster Club price was £3,154,000.

https://pushtheboundary.co.uk/blitz-q-a

Oldham Athletic celebrating after stadium plan backed unanimously by town hall

Latics fans are celebrating after a multi-million pound stadium plan won the backing of the town hall.

• 19:30, 10 APR 2013
  • UPDATED07:36, 11 APR 2013

Latics fans are celebrating after a multi-million pound stadium plan won the backing of the town hall.

Politicians gave the ambitious bid to create a new North Stand at Boundary Park the go-ahead last night, taking just 10 minutes to make a unanimous decision over the planning application.

The plans for a three-storey structure to seat just under 2,500 fans, forms part of the first phase of development hoping to rejuvenate the crumbling 12,500-capacity stadium.

It will be built on the site of the former Lookers Stand - which was torn down in 2008.

The new stand will boast a 500-seat conference facility, 11 executive boxes and a director’s box, new supporters bar, a health and fitness suite, offices and a coffee shop. A 286-space car park, with 26 disabled spaces, was also be given the green light.

Club chairman Simon Corney said he was ‘delighted’ to reach this stage with the plans, with the support of the council.

He said: “We’ve been talking about this for nearly seven years – the fans will see it as very positive news.

“It will be nice to get a four sided stadium once again. There’s still a long way to go, now we’ve  got permission. It’s a long hard process but we ask people to remain patient and understanding. We still have a couple of hurdles, particularly financially, which we will hopefully overcome.

The application forms part of a £5.7m deal struck with Oldham council in 2011 to secure the club’s future in the town after its failed bid to relocate to Failsworth.

"A previous planning application for a similar development was given outline approval in May 2008 but this new vision is of a much smaller scale.

"Only one letter of objection was received by a nearby resident expressing concerns about noise disturbances but the plans received overwhelming support from the public.More than 600 emails and letters supporting the plans were received by the council many citing the benefits for the club and the town.

"Work is expected to start on the site in the summer to be ready for the start of the 2014/15 season. Lifelong fan and season ticket holder John Cooper, 64, described the decision as an ‘important point in Latics’ history’.

He said: “Without this development this club would have died. This stand breathes new life into the club.”

******************************************************************************************************************

New stand is taking shape at Oldham Athletic's home turf

The first steel girders have been placed at Oldham Athletic's new North Stand

• 11:15, 10 APR 2014
  • UPDATED10:59, 14 APR 2014

The regeneration of Oldham Athletic’s home ground is beginning to take shape as the first steel girders appear.

The skeleton of Boundary Park’s new North Stand in Oldham  can now be seen towering above the site of the former Boundary Stand.

Once complete it will boast seating for almost 2,500 fans, a new supporters’ bar, a 500-seat conference facility, offices, health and fitness suite and a coffee shop.

Council leader Jim McMahon was taken on a tour of the site by Latics chief executive Neil Joy and chairman Simon Corney.

He said: “It’s always an inspiring sight when all the talking and planning stops and you start to see the first physical signs of a project like this taking shape.

“This is an absolutely vital regeneration scheme.

“It forms part of what I often refer to as the Oldham ‘to do list’ because the benefits aren’t just for the club and its supporters, but for the whole borough.

“Last season’s FA Cup run once again showed how Oldham Athletic can put this town on the national map in a way that nothing else quite can – and these new facilities will be a huge boost to the community, visitors and the economy.

“It’s been a hard road to get to this point but a better stadium will give the club a facility it can be proud of and one that can start generating vital new off-the-field revenue that currently it simply cannot hope to attract.”

Work on the council-backed scheme is being carried out by local contractor Holroy Developments after the plans were approved last year.

Mr Joy added: “We were delighted to show Jim around and update him on the latest plans.

“The council’s support has been vital in getting us to where we are today and the sight of the first steelwork has created a real buzz of excitement amongst the fans.

“Everyone is excited about what this development can do for the future of the club.”

40 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Don't be silly.

On this question I trust Blitz, unless you name your source!

:sauce:

It’s no use Mark. 

He claimed yesterday that ‘you can’t run a company for somebody else’ 🤦🏻‍♂️

Then keeps trying to speak with authority and/or credibility. 

Laughable. 

That is likely to include a hotel, conference facilities and a number of retail outlets, although planning has not yet begun.

Councillor McMahon added: "We have been working hard since regarding control of Oldham Council to resolve the long running saga of Oldham Athletic.

The new stand will boast a 500-seat conference facility, 11 executive boxes and a director’s box, new supporters bar, a health and fitness suite, offices and a coffee shop. A 286-space car park, with 26 disabled spaces, was also be given the green light.

Club chairman Simon Corney said he was ‘delighted’ to reach this stage with the plans, with the support of the council.

Once complete it will boast seating for almost 2,500 fans, a new supporters’ bar, a 500-seat conference facility, offices, health and fitness suite and a coffee shop.

Council leader Jim McMahon was taken on a tour of the site by Latics chief executive Neil Joy and chairman Simon Corney.

North Stand remains 'incomplete', certainly against any of the above criteria 

In 2013

He said: “It’s always an inspiring sight when all the talking and planning stops and you start to see the first physical signs of a project like this taking shape.

“This is an absolutely vital regeneration scheme.

“It forms part of what I often refer to as the Oldham ‘to do list’ because the benefits aren’t just for the club and its supporters, but for the whole borough.

“Last season’s FA Cup run once again showed how Oldham Athletic can put this town on the national map in a way that nothing else quite can – and these new facilities will be a huge boost to the community, visitors and the economy.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

They never actually stated that they had bought the shares, just that they were intending to. At that point AL decided to dilute the value and everything went quiet. If they did buy them at the time they will have lost quite a bit of money. They were also negotiating to buy the stadium; but decided against it when they discovered that AL was doing the same. No hope of anyone doing that until things get back to something like normal I would guess.

The three people who are now known as the FLG run the OEC for Brassbank and no doubt take a share of the profits. That's how I understand it anyway, but this discussion goes on and on, over and over again.

I doubt they'd have lost much if they did buy the shares because they were close to valueless. 

2 hours ago, tGWB said:

Oldham Athletic celebrating after stadium plan backed unanimously by town hall

• 19:30, 10 APR 2013
  • UPDATED07:36, 11 APR 2013

Politicians gave the ambitious bid to create a new North Stand at Boundary Park the go-ahead last night, taking just 10 minutes to make a unanimous decision over the planning application.

The plans for a three-storey structure to seat just under 2,500 fans, forms part of the first phase of development hoping to rejuvenate the crumbling 12,500-capacity stadium.

It will be built on the site of the former Lookers Stand - which was torn down in 2008.

He said: “We’ve been talking about this for nearly seven years – the fans will see it as very positive news.

“It will be nice to get a four sided stadium once again. There’s still a long way to go, now we’ve  got permission. It’s a long hard process but we ask people to remain patient and understanding. We still have a couple of hurdles, particularly financially, which we will hopefully overcome.

The application forms part of a £5.7m deal struck with Oldham council in 2011 to secure the club’s future in the town after its failed bid to relocate to Failsworth.

"A previous planning application for a similar development was given outline approval in May 2008 but this new vision is of a much smaller scale.

"Only one letter of objection was received by a nearby resident expressing concerns about noise disturbances but the plans received overwhelming support from the public.More than 600 emails and letters supporting the plans were received by the council many citing the benefits for the club and the town.

"Work is expected to start on the site in the summer to be ready for the start of the 2014/15 season. Lifelong fan and season ticket holder John Cooper, 64, described the decision as an ‘important point in Latics’ history’.

He said: “Without this development this club would have died. This stand breathes new life into the club.”

******************************************************************************************************************

Who was the Karen?

2 hours ago, adamoafc said:

This was confirmed with paperwork seen. Not word of mouth. 

So you saw the document that showed Lancaster Club (oldham) purchased the land from BAE? So I would presume that Blitz has never had anything to do with Lancaster Club (oldham)? 

2 hours ago, adamoafc said:

This was confirmed with paperwork seen. Not word of mouth. 

24 minutes ago, PeteG said:

So you saw the document that showed Lancaster Club (oldham) purchased the land from BAE? So I would presume that Blitz has never had anything to do with Lancaster Club (oldham)? 

It’s all very boring now - I just want every single one of them to disappear down a black hole Blitz, Gazal, Corney, Owen, Brooke, Radcliffe, Whitehead and the Lemmies are all shit houses and have brought absolutely nothing positive to Oldham Athletic at all bar one play off season when the Three tosser (sorry, saviours) were still pretending they actually wanted a football club 

Simon Corney would sell his own gran to keep him out of a hole which is exactly what he did with the North Stand and the leech that is Blitz has taken it for all he can 

Scum the lot of them 

7 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

It’s all very boring now - I just want every single one of them to disappear down a black hole Blitz, Gazal, Corney, Owen, Brooke, Radcliffe, Whitehead and the Lemmies are all shit houses and have brought absolutely nothing positive to Oldham Athletic at all bar one play off season when the Three tosser (sorry, saviours) were still pretending they actually wanted a football club 

Simon Corney would sell his own gran to keep him out of a hole which is exactly what he did with the North Stand and the leech that is Blitz has taken it for all he can 

Scum the lot of them 

I agree! But Brassbank still have massive hold over the future of the club as nobody in their right mind would buy the club in it's current state. We, the supporters have lost out and I don't understand the reluctance of some fans to question what has gone on. We need to get to the bottom of all these transactions once and for all and if everything is above board fair enough, it is what it is and we try and move on. But let's put it to bed once and for all.

16 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Scum the lot of them 

Id rank them in a certain order 

1. The Lemmies

2. Blitz Gazal Corney

3. Owen

The likes of whitehead and Brooke I don't consider a problem they don't have any decision making at the football club if they bought the ground the Lemsagams would just move us to Gigg Lane.

But I agree with your sentiment Im sick of people running the football club who haven't taken care of it at all and don't care about the damage that they have done to the towns 125 year sporting institution.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Id rank them in a certain order 

1. The Lemmies

2. Blitz Gazal Corney

3. Owen

The likes of whitehead and Brooke I don't consider a problem they don't have any decision making at the football club if they bought the ground the Lemsagams would just move us to Gigg Lane.

But I agree with your sentiment Im sick of people running the football club who haven't taken care of it all and don't care about the damage that they have done to the towns 125 year sporting institution.

If the FLG bought the ground I'd support a new phoenix club, no way would I travel to Bury.

4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I agree! But Brassbank still have massive hold over the future of the club as nobody in their right mind would buy the club in it's current state. We, the supporters have lost out and I don't understand the reluctance of some fans to question what has gone on. We need to get to the bottom of all these transactions once and for all and if everything is above board fair enough, it is what it is and we try and move on. But let's put it to bed once and for all.

Nope. Only you are interested/obsessed. 

The rest of us can’t be arsed about things that happened a long time ago. We have no material effect over, and no wrongdoing has been proved. 

Just now, League one forever said:

Nope. Only you are interested/obsessed. 

The rest of us can’t be arsed about things that happened a long time ago. We have no material effect over, and no wrongdoing has been proved. 

It's in the clubs best interest! 

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

No it isn't

It is not in our interest to pursue a false claim of wrongdoing that is only going to go and only has gone one way and it is not in our favour.

That's your opinion Neil, the documents I have seen convince me it's worth further investigation so we will see if the next few months what the relevant authorities say.

Archived