Euro 2020 Prediction Competition

18 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Changing the shape and taking Grealish off was one of the bravest managerial decisions I have ever seen. In any field. 

Not really. Denmark were down to 10 men. Had Grealish stayed on we may have scored again.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

We didn't need to 

Exactly

If not for Schmeical we would have been out of sight 

Nothing wrong with seeing the game out as we did last night - had he continued to go for it and we’d conceded a second then lost in penalties everyone would have crucified him.  He managed the situation well 

I wish Big Joe had done similar when deciding not to make a sub at a time when time didn’t get added on for doing so at the same stadium in 1994 

On 7/8/2021 at 5:34 PM, al_bro said:

Not really. Denmark were down to 10 men. Had Grealish stayed on we may have scored again.

Agreed. For all that Italy were the better team in the final, Southgate's cautious streak surfaced again and he proved unwilling/unable to change things up until far too late on Sunday.

There is much to admire about Southgate, and I certainly am happy to see him stay as manager for the World Cup, but he needs to develop a more attacking instinct (cf. Mancini and Italy) if England are to make further progress. 

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Agreed. For all that Italy were the better team in the final, Southgate's cautious streak surfaced again and he proved unwilling/unable to change things up until far too late on Sunday.

There is much to admire about Southgate, and I certainly am happy to see him stay as manager for the World Cup, but he needs to develop a more attacking instinct (cf. Mancini and Italy) if England are to make further progress. 

Agreed. Italy were the best team, but only because we allowed them to be. Spain played them off the park. It was inevitable that they would score eventually, when we were defending a one goal lead and hoofing the ball upfield, only for it to come straight back. He should have brought Grealish on at half time for either Saka or Mount, who weren't doing much. That would have given Italy something to worry about. Grealish is also good at getting free kicks, which could have got us another goal. Southgate deserved to concede from that corner, when he brought Rashford and Sancho on just to take penalties they both missed. I blame him for that as well. 

Agreed the late substitutions backfired on him and Grealish should have been on earlier.

I thought if we should have brought Rashford on to chase the long punts upfield when we were under pressure in the second half but overall he's done OK and conducted himself impeccably, which is more than could be said of his predecessor !   

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

Agreed. Italy were the best team, but only because we allowed them to be. Spain played them off the park. It was inevitable that they would score eventually, when we were defending a one goal lead and hoofing the ball upfield, only for it to come straight back. He should have brought Grealish on at half time for either Saka or Mount, who weren't doing much. That would have given Italy something to worry about. Grealish is also good at getting free kicks, which could have got us another goal. Southgate deserved to concede from that corner, when he brought Rashford and Sancho on just to take penalties they both missed. I blame him for that as well. 

He would have had a hard time … Saka didn’t one on till around 70 mins.

Better late never, innit. It’s all over and, after recovering slightly from Sunday night’s penalty defeat, the final tables look like this. scottakie takes the title - it looks like a three-way tie but I believe Superbru gives the win to the player with most correct results in the event of a tie. Good effort from @jorvik_latic and @andy_b_100 to make up the deficit and go level on points at the top. @danielprops up the table and takes the wooden spoon. 
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thanks for playing all. Was a great tournament until Sunday!

:chubb:

20 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Better late never, innit. It’s all over and, after recovering slightly from Sunday night’s penalty defeat, the final tables look like this. scottakie takes the title - it looks like a three-way tie but I believe Superbru gives the win to the player with most correct results in the event of a tie. Good effort from @jorvik_latic and @andy_b_100 to make up the deficit and go level on points at the top. @danielprops up the table and takes the wooden spoon. 

Much improved performance from me over the OWTB prediction league - hopefully an indicator for the upcoming season 

Cheers for sorting Steve enjoyed that 

On 7/15/2021 at 10:55 PM, Stevie_J said:

😂 as always I start predicting and simply forget half way through. Always the same with fantasy football too. 

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived