Pre-Season Friendlies - July 2021

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fully believe any team in this league is 3 good signings away from promotion, but as it stands us, Swindon and Rochdale are miles behind the rest in terms of quality.

The quality of player teams in our league are signing this season is nothing like the last 3 years. Genuinely believe we’re going into this season with the competition at its strongest, while we’re at our weakest. 

And this is coming from an optimist who believed Sylla and Maouche were a class above this level.

1 minute ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

I fully believe any team in this league is 3 good signings away from promotion, but as it stands us, Swindon and Rochdale are miles behind the rest in terms of quality.

The quality of player teams in our league are signing this season is nothing like the last 3 years. Genuinely believe we’re going into this season with the competition at its strongest, while we’re at our weakest. 

And this is coming from an optimist who believed Sylla and Maouche were a class above this level.

Rochdale will be fine in this league, you can be sure they will have some young players who have come through their system that will ensure a top half finish. 

34 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Rochdale will be fine in this league, you can be sure they will have some young players who have come through their system that will ensure a top half finish. 

Disagree. Similar to us when we got relagated, they’re a club going backwards, fast!! Could easily see them going down again. Anyone on here with a better knowledge of this league than me give me two teams you fancy to finish below us? I’m struggling. 

15 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Disagree. Similar to us when we got relagated, they’re a club going backwards, fast!! Could easily see them going down again. Anyone on here with a better knowledge of this league than me give me two teams you fancy to finish below us? I’m struggling. 

Welcome to the doom and gloom club 😉

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Back to 3 at the back it is then !  😀

To be fair, against Crewe the back 3 looked quite well organised, but any system is only as good as the players.

5 minutes ago, Crowngreen said:

Well you think you have named one in your own post. How much do you know about Sutton United or Hartlepool ? 

Watched Hartlepool a few times and confident they’ll be fine. They’ve rejected wheater who would be by far and away our best defender. Not seen much of Sutton but winning that league is no easy feat. There’s a good 8 or 9 teams in the conference who would comfortably hold their own in this division. 
We need to be looking to pick off teams like orient, scunny and even Bristol rovers who I think will struggle. Still think the afore mentioned teams are in better shape than us, dale and Swindon as it stands.

Speaking of which, will there be a predictions thread again this year? Enjoyable read that one last year.  

It's too early to predict. KC appears to be developing an organised workmanlike team so might do better than expected, on the other hand the track record of sacking managers every few months might drag us down again.

I'm hoping for the former and some stability.

1 hour ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Sylla and/or Fane would walk into this central midfield currently. 

I always rated Sylla. Never got enough credit for his technical ability due to his physique. 
Had many arguments on here about Maouche but those two in this team would improve it massively. 

Fane I wasn’t a fan of, same goes for

missilou (spelling) but they’d all walk into this team. 

11 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Watched Hartlepool a few times and confident they’ll be fine. They’ve rejected wheater who would be by far and away our best defender. Not seen much of Sutton but winning that league is no easy feat. There’s a good 8 or 9 teams in the conference who would comfortably hold their own in this division. 
We need to be looking to pick off teams like orient, scunny and even Bristol rovers who I think will struggle. Still think the afore mentioned teams are in better shape than us, dale and Swindon as it stands.

Speaking of which, will there be a predictions thread again this year? Enjoyable read that one last year.  

Hartlepool have lost their pre season friendlies against non league sides, their main striker was a loaner who is now At Harrogate and their keeper another loaner, injured and back at Boro. I don’t share your optimism about them - and I hope they do do well. 
Looking at their fans’ comments, we seem like sunny optimists! 

Edit. Pools beat Dunston United last night but not many positive vibes emanating from the club. https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/if-we-stand-still-well-be-in-trouble-dave-challinors-honest-pre-season-verdict-as-he-looks-to-raise-standards-at-hartlepool-united-3327283

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It's too early to predict. KC appears to be developing an organised workmanlike team so might do better than expected, on the other hand the track record of sacking managers every few months might drag us down again.

I'm hoping for the former and some stability.

There's no depth to the squad. Two or three injuries and we'll be struggling. Their must be some loans to come in over the next few weeks.

• LaticMark changed the title to Pre-Season Friendlies - July 2021

Archived