Pre-Season Friendlies - July 2021

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Nice to see the usual pre season optimism. 

But let’s have it right, If this team finish top half it’s a great season for the complete lack of quality we’ve got. 

I expect between 17th - 12th. 

Would take 22nd now

1 hour ago, OldhamAthlete said:

Surely it's promotion this year and the year after as per the 5 year plan?

Just had a text from someone who saw the game and said we performed utterly awful and the back 4 was all over. He’s not an oldham fan but was under the impression it was our first team. 

11 minutes ago, super_blue said:

Just had a text from someone who saw the game and said we performed utterly awful and the back 4 was all over. He’s not an oldham fan but was under the impression it was our first team. 

We don’t play with a back 4 so he’s talking Bollocks 😉

Unless KC was looking to teach BP a lesson in pre Christ vs 21st century tactics of course 

54 minutes ago, super_blue said:

Looking at the line up on OS , he was very definitely under the wrong impression. 

Surely the last friendly before the season is when the big hitters should be playing 90 minutes or as close to as possible. Why do we still have so many trialists; either sign them or get rid! I know it's only a friendly but quite a few things there don't make sense to me...

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Bad result but there was only 2-3 max involved who will start next week.

So what was the point of it then?

I agree with LS, rather than experimenting with a team full of trialists we should have a potential starting eleven at this stage of proceedings!

With no reserve games or friendlies played during the season Curle, as per usual,  only has training to check out the form and ability of his players.

I still can’t get my head around the fact that we don’t compete in a reserve league….how fringe players can be thrown in at any given time and be expected to be ‘match fit’ and produce the goods on demand is just crazy!!

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I agree with LS, rather than experimenting with a team full of trialists we should have a potential starting eleven at this stage of proceedings!

With no reserve games or friendlies played during the season Curle, as per usual,  only has training to check out the form and ability of his players.

I still can’t get my head around the fact that we don’t compete in a reserve league….how fringe players can be thrown in at any given time and be expected to be ‘match fit’ and produce the goods on demand is just crazy!!

Starting XI pretty much picks itself at this stage I'd say.

21 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Leaving the reserve league was one of Corney’s great ideas 

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Well I don't know who the trialists were but you could imagine Curle wanted to have a last look at them before making decisions this week.

Majority of the triallists seem to be very low budget options - wonder if a bit more money appears for some foreign signings?

Archived