Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So we are under way. The Italians look impressive, perhaps Turkey sat too deep and paid the price by chasing the ball. Personally I would love the Italian's to win as 10/1 was too big a price to ignore. It could be a decent tournament if the 1st game is anything to go by, we will know more after the weekend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Predicted commentary if Stones and Henderson both play; John Stones on the ball, passes to Henderson, a good 5 yard pass that, Henderson to Stones, back to Henderson, Henderson finds Stones in space, Stones back to Henderson, good possession this, back to Stones he has the ball at his feet, oh no what's this? Rabbit, headlights, crash 1-0 Croatia. England are in with a chance here, Kane wins a penalty, he's got the ball--- but wait Henderson's crying, he takes the ball off Kane and he's going to take the penalty, he places the ball on the spot, runs up and passes the ball to the keeper. Croatia win, we should have played one of the Rolling Stones and Dickie Henderson instead. C'mon England! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well England have started OK in the tournament, Croatia never really threatened but that could have been down to the England midfield of which Phillips and Rice were the stand outs. 1 more win should do it I only hope we give the sweatys a good tonking. 

Edited by disjointed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Well England have started OK in the tournament, Croatia never really threatened but that could have been down to the England midfield of which Phillips and Rice were the stand outs. 1 more win should do it I only hope we give the sweatys a good to king. 

I'll wave to you from the stands :chubb:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, disjointed said:

Anyone still think England can win this tournament? The manager isn't tactically astute enough. 

It seems that Southgate doesn't have much of a scooby, he takes Foden off to put Grealish on when they both need to be on the pitch. Walker and Trippier should also have been playing and who knows what Stones and Sterling do for a living to get a place in the team. Lack of support for Kane makes him look poor too but we can't have Son in an England shirt for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

It seems that Southgate doesn't have much of a scooby, he takes Foden off to put Grealish on when they both need to be on the pitch. Walker and Trippier should also have been playing and who knows what Stones and Sterling do for a living to get a place in the team. Lack of support for Kane makes him look poor too but we can't have Son in an England shirt for him.

I don't have a problem with Stones, Sterling should have been replaced at half time. Walker can defend but is poor going forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More scientific trendy nonsense from England, the latest being yoga tents, a fat lot of good they did.

Scotland played simply and with passion.

Stop filling players heads with this claptrap and just let them go out and play Southgate.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

More scientific trendy nonsense from England, the latest being yoga tents, a fat lot of good they did.

Scotland played simply and with passion.

Stop filling players heads with this claptrap and just let them go out and play Southgate.

 

Agreed, plus select the right players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I don't have a problem with Stones, Sterling should have been replaced at half time. Walker can defend but is poor going forward. 

 

Trippier, one player who always shows passion was dropped for the Scotland  game and Kane who hadn't was retained, says a lot about  Southgate.

Edited by BP1960
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

 

Trippier, one player who always shows passion was dropped for the Scotland  game and Kane who hadn't was retained, says a lot about  Southgate.

Come on BP, kane is a walking chill box, you don't have to show passion to be passionate about what you do. Kane is a must start he has quality in spades the service he got last night was shocking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, disjointed said:

Come on BP, kane is a walking chill box, you don't have to show passion to be passionate about what you do. Kane is a must start he has quality in spades the service he got last night was shocking. 

 

If you like your centre forwards playing like Urko Vera fair enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 8:57 AM, BP1960 said:

More scientific trendy nonsense from England, the latest being yoga tents, a fat lot of good they did.

Scotland played simply and with passion.

Stop filling players heads with this claptrap and just let them go out and play Southgate.

 

Passion yes. 
Success no. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Felt like we lost by the finest of fine margins last night, if Pickford knocks the ball out for a corner they dont get the equaliser, Rashford does the hard work in sending the keeper the wrong way but misses his pen, Saka as great as hes been this tournament shouldn't be on the 5th pen that's a big weight on young shoulders. 

 

That being said we played well and deserved to be in the final, the progression under Southgate has been great to see and there is no reason why we shouldn't be looking to get to the final of the next world cup.

 

Side note.. going in to the tournament I was genuinely concerned our lack of strength in depth with our defence could be our undoing.. that couldn't be further from the truth..

 

Stand out players for me this tournament.

 

Pickford Rice Shaw Phillips Sterling & Saka

 

🦁🦁🦁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wroteforluck87 said:

Felt like we lost by the finest of fine margins last night, if Pickford knocks the ball out for a corner they dont get the equaliser, Rashford does the hard work in sending the keeper the wrong way but misses his pen, Saka as great as hes been this tournament shouldn't be on the 5th pen that's a big weight on young shoulders. 

 

That being said we played well and deserved to be in the final, the progression under Southgate has been great to see and there is no reason why we shouldn't be looking to get to the final of the next world cup.

 

Side note.. going in to the tournament I was genuinely concerned our lack of strength in depth with our defence could be our undoing.. that couldn't be further from the truth..

 

Stand out players for me this tournament.

 

Pickford Rice Shaw Phillips Sterling & Saka

 

🦁🦁🦁

Thought Saka, for the first time in the tournament, was really poor last night.  Presumably nerves played a big part in that and so I couldn't believe he was the one stepping up to take the fifth penalty.  I actually said out loud, "NO! Saka's taking it!"

 

I thought England's first half performance was nigh-on perfect, although Rice should have taken a booking and brought down Chiesa when he was charging down on goal but they got away with that.  For what it's worth, I'm not Rice's biggest fan but he was tremendous last night - best I've seen him play by a distance.

 

Second half England dropped deeper and sat off Italy and invited pressure.  Southgate's approach was too cautious and the subs came too late.  And he kept two in his back pocket for pens but neither paid off - although, I can see why he brought on Rashford as he has scored pressure penalties before.  Really surprised more senior players didn't step up in place of Sancho and Saka.

 

The national team is making progress and should get better with the young talent that's there.  I hope Southgate sticks at it.

 

The abuse aimed at the lads who missed penalties is shameful but, sadly, not a surprise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

Thought Saka, for the first time in the tournament, was really poor last night.  Presumably nerves played a big part in that and so I couldn't believe he was the one stepping up to take the fifth penalty.  I actually said out loud, "NO! Saka's taking it!"

 

I thought England's first half performance was nigh-on perfect, although Rice should have taken a booking and brought down Chiesa when he was charging down on goal but they got away with that.  For what it's worth, I'm not Rice's biggest fan but he was tremendous last night - best I've seen him play by a distance.

 

Second half England dropped deeper and sat off Italy and invited pressure.  Southgate's approach was too cautious and the subs came too late.  And he kept two in his back pocket for pens but neither paid off - although, I can see why he brought on Rashford as he has scored pressure penalties before.  Really surprised more senior players didn't step up in place of Sancho and Saka.

 

The national team is making progress and should get better with the young talent that's there.  I hope Southgate sticks at it.

 

The abuse aimed at the lads who missed penalties is shameful but, sadly, not a surprise.

This tournament I have been won over by Rice, as said he was outstanding last night. Him and Phillips look shoe ins for years to come. Southgate got the substitutions wrong surely Henderson should have been taking a penalty. As for the racial abuse, words fail me, nothing changes as people are allowed to hide behind social media accounts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...