BPAS PODCAST: 14th Jun '21 Episode 39: Euro 2020 Special Part 1

England are off to a flier with a 1-0 win against Croatia, we witnessed shocking scenes in Denmark and Latics are in the news with the PTB home game boycott announced this week. There's a lot to talk about as always on BPAS!

Good listen this folks, summed up how I felt about the Eriksen situation perfectly too. One of the most traumatic things I've witnessed and I'm certain with hindsight the BBC and UEFA will wish they had handled things differently.

I've totally missed potentially questionable funding for the Foundation so will have to check this out.

I wish I could get excited about England - I love a tournament, but just never been able to get into supporting the England football team. Well, not since '90 anyway.

Keep it up!

Unbelievable that the trust have accepted money from an anti club source. . but want/expect to be kept up to date. Also telling that if you just want to support the trust - all critical thinking goes out of the window. Yet if you want to question and challenge decision making they go quiet. Sound familiar.  . . . 

Couldn’t make it up. 

You’ll never get what you want Matt, because it needs people to leave their ego at the door, accept criticism (even if they’re volunteers) show humility and get behind ideas that may not be their own. There are many ‘visions’ for the club from a lot of different factions and not one of them does the above or acts as a collaborative. (With the exception of PTB) 

Let’s remind ourselves. 

ALMO & Blitz - enough said 

The invisible Board. 

Karl ‘I’m only here for a stand that is shut’ Evans. 

Barry ‘I’m out- except I’m not. I’m in B&Q car park waiting for ‘the call’ Owen.

The FLG or KGB it’s that secretive.

The Trust/Foundation which continually shoots itself in the foot, asks for ideas and input then ignores it when it’s not what they want to hear. 

Then the PTB - four lads in a pub who have shown more leadership and desire to galvanise in 12 months than the rest have put together. 

We can’t do it when 6 of the 7 factions each with vested interest don’t get on or won’t talk and genuinely listen. 

The only concern now is protest and how we support PTB. I’m absolutely done with the egos and the bullshit. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Someone has raised some money selling anti ALMO merch. Then given it to the trust’s fighting fund. 

The trust it seems have accepted the money. 

Theres an account on Twitter been doing that - imagine its one and the same 

25 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Someone has raised some money selling anti ALMO merch. Then given it to the trust’s fighting fund. 

Can't say it bothers me. He's not engaged with any fan group 

• Matt featured this topic

Another good listen.

As mentioned above, PTB have shown shown more leadership than anyone with regards improving things at the club, but I'm not sure about the boycott.

The owners seem more arsed about losing face than money.  Reckon being present and loud about our dissatisfaction would get more of a reaction. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Can't say it bothers me. He's not engaged with any fan group 

Quite.

Who gives a toss. But it’s got nothing to with him or his merch. Good luck to him. It’s about the trusts decision making. It’s also pertinent when Matt is still trying or wants to engage (to his credit) with a trust despite them having zero credibility. 

Hi Mo, Can we look at the figures please. 

Did you accept money from a bloke selling derogatory merchandise about myself and my brother. 

Er. . 

It looks awful. 

35 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Quite.

Who gives a toss. But it’s got nothing to with him or his merch. Good luck to him. It’s about the trusts decision making. It’s also pertinent when Matt is still trying or wants to engage (to his credit) with a trust despite them having zero credibility. 

Did you accept money from a bloke selling derogatory merchandise about myself and my brother. 

Er. . 

It looks awful. 

I meant it didn't bother me that the trust took it. They've spent 15 years or more being nicey nicey and it's achieved nothing 

34 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I meant it didn't bother me that the trust took it. They've spent 15 years or more being nicey nicey and it's achieved nothing 

I totally agree Dave. But then they don’t publicly back the PTB and the protest as was mentioned in the POD so it’s not done because they’re showing their teeth.  If there position was ‘we’re sick of trying to get taken seriously by the club’ then fine. But it’s not, they are still playing nice and wanting dialogue with the club. Whilst accepting merch that slags there ‘partners’ off. 

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

My money is on ex sponsors and a former Trust director (not Barry)...

We put an SOS out for sponsors and lottery prize donations on and off since May.

Three businesses contacted us at different times with different ways how how they felt they could contribute to the 1895 contingency fund.

Two were discussed at the last board meeting. 

The third, I will presume is the one on twitter, had started to post already their intentions to give funds to the 1895 contingency fund before a dialogue had opened. We were then conscious that a dialogue needed to be opened and how sensitive this could be. We have explained already we are unable to endorse products of "encourage" fans to purchase. They still want to make donations.

It is a fine balance of what we do, do we turn down "monies" for the fund? is it a case we would be damned if we accept or damned if we don't?

we had the same dilema when we launched our own lottery. There is a club one but it is a shared pot. 

Then again we launched easyfundraising and club launched their version a few weeks later.

Just to confirm that no monies have yet to come in and it will be discussed at the next board meeting

thanks everyone

Ps. Sorry I should have said that we need to investigate how and where funds are coming through to us too....on my way home from work less haste

47 minutes ago, underdog said:

We put an SOS out for sponsors and lottery prize donations on and off since May.

Three businesses contacted us at different times with different ways how how they felt they could contribute to the 1895 contingency fund.

Two were discussed at the last board meeting. 

The third, I will presume is the one on twitter, had started to post already their intentions to give funds to the 1895 contingency fund before a dialogue had opened. We were then conscious that a dialogue needed to be opened and how sensitive this could be. We have explained already we are unable to endorse products of "encourage" fans to purchase. They still want to make donations.

It is a fine balance of what we do, do we turn down "monies" for the fund? is it a case we would be damned if we accept or damned if we don't?

we had the same dilema when we launched our own lottery. There is a club one but it is a shared pot. 

Then again we launched easyfundraising and club launched their version a few weeks later.

Just to confirm that no monies have yet to come in and it will be discussed at the next board meeting

thanks everyone

Nearly 20 years ago with SAFE I was accused of being in league with the BNP at the time of the riots because someone with sympathies in their direction ran a disco and handed over the proceeds. 

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Nearly 20 years ago with SAFE I was accused of being in league with the BNP at the time of the riots because someone with sympathies in their direction ran a disco and handed over the proceeds. 

Its fine margins isn't and highlights the need for good skillets in all areas....I am back at comms so possible I have KO'd this by acknowledging the tweet and asking can we discuss.

21 hours ago, League one forever said:

Quite.

Er. . 

It looks awful. 

Now if I was to be really naughty I could  said

Do you remember what the club wrote about one of our directors in response to our letter of complaint in Dec 2019?

Cast you mind back when a letter addressed to me as acting chair ended up in the public domain in April 2019, simply because I had not responded to an email with 2 hrs?...emergency vet appointment damn dog.

We won't mention the clubs re-write of the MOU in Dec' 2020. I wanted to chuck the towel in on it...bearing in mind it was mainly my work. Others stuck at it

Its David and Goliath every time with the supporter rep stuck right in the middle.....and it should not be.

The owner made promises to us at our first meeting circa Jan 17. We have not forgotten

21 hours ago, League one forever said:

Quite.

Er. . 

It looks awful. 

9 minutes ago, underdog said:

Now if I was to be really naughty I could  said

Do you remember what the club wrote about one of our directors in response to our letter of complaint in Dec 2019?

Cast you mind back when a letter addressed to me as acting chair ended up in the public domain in April 2019, simply because I had not responded to an email with 2 hrs?...emergency vet appointment damn dog.

We won't mention the clubs re-write of the MOU in Dec' 2020. I wanted to chuck the towel in on it...bearing in mind it was mainly my work. Others stuck at it

Its David and Goliath every time with the supporter rep stuck right in the middle.....and it should not be.

The owner made promises to us at our first meeting circa Jan 17. We have not forgotten

Could I offer my two pence worth?

This type of infighting and division is exactly the thing that will have Karl laughing his cock off 

The trust (who I am well documented as being critical of) are restructured and trying to go in a new direction 

Matt with the podcast is amazing as are PTB - all are doing their best for OAFC (as they see)

we as fans need to get behind all

and if Mo asks that question the trust says

”We are a director on your board not the other way around so get fucked and show us the figures we are legally entitled to see”

On 6/14/2021 at 5:02 PM, League one forever said:

Unbelievable that the trust have accepted money from an anti club source. . but want/expect to be kept up to date. Also telling that if you just want to support the trust - all critical thinking goes out of the window. Yet if you want to question and challenge decision making they go quiet. Sound familiar.  . . . 

Couldn’t make it up. 

You’ll never get what you want Matt, because it needs people to leave their ego at the door, accept criticism (even if they’re volunteers) show humility and get behind ideas that may not be their own. There are many ‘visions’ for the club from a lot of different factions and not one of them does the above or acts as a collaborative. (With the exception of PTB) 

Let’s remind ourselves. 

ALMO & Blitz - enough said 

The invisible Board. 

Karl ‘I’m only here for a stand that is shut’ Evans. 

Barry ‘I’m out- except I’m not. I’m in B&Q car park waiting for ‘the call’ Owen.

The FLG or KGB it’s that secretive.

The Trust/Foundation which continually shoots itself in the foot, asks for ideas and input then ignores it when it’s not what they want to hear. 

Then the PTB - four lads in a pub who have shown more leadership and desire to galvanise in 12 months than the rest have put together. 

We can’t do it when 6 of the 7 factions each with vested interest don’t get on or won’t talk and genuinely listen. 

The only concern now is protest and how we support PTB. I’m absolutely done with the egos and the bullshit. 

I am on my personal account for obvious reasons, and am a tad dismayed to read your post. It's disheartening to see voluntary work become toxic and sneered at. Vounteers up and down the country keep football clubs and other institutions afloat.

I'm not on the Trust Board, not a Director, just someone who gave money every month for years and was awarded an honorary membership. I decided to give up a lot of time to help set up the Lottery for th Contingency Fund something that has been clamoured (including by me) for years

I was not expecting an avalanche, I've acknowledged trust has to be regained, but I have been suprised at the reluctance to sign up for the Lottery.  Am I wasting my time? I guess fans will vote with their wallets.

I have no exprience in the areas needed, just my enthusiasm to try and make a difference.

I acted on the suggestions I  was given. Can you give examples of  ideas have been ignored?

re the mech the person offered the proceeds, I  replied Thank you for the offer. I  believe we would have got shot down if we'd have refused the money. So lets focus on the positive of more revenue for the Contingency Fund. We need much more, but we've finally started, the Lemsagams could walk at any time.

My offer to the podcast is still on the table. For now, work commitments may sadly force a change.

PTB and The Foundation have their origins in very different places, and are very different beasts, so it is going to take time but they should complement each other. Better to get it right in the long run.
PTB are undeniably brilliant at the media side of things, the Foundation is just burrowing away in the background on meagre resources. We are where we are, it is what it is.

The Lottery is there to be supported, the launch and jackpot winners there to be commented on, the money raised so we at long last have the beginnings of a Contingency Fund. Other plans are being developed and the Foundation are focussing on those, they all take huge effort.

I have not seen ego's at all as I have got to know the Foundation a little better, so I can't see what you are refering to but all I say is please stop the attacks.

It's up to us collectively. Whether that be PTB, Foundation or both that is for every individual to decide, but let's get to work.

Oh, and sign up for the Lottery here!! https://play.clubforce.com/play_newa.asp?ll_id=2889
what are you waiting for!

1 hour ago, underdog said:

I have not heard the pod cast by the way

And maybe I have missed an email from Matt asking us to comment. 

Matt can you confirm thanks.

1 hour ago, singe said:

My offer to the podcast is still on the table. For now, work commitments may sadly force a change.

Hi both,

There was no email.

Matt was merely musing on the last episode about why there has been no PTB endorsement of the Foundation's Lottery, nor any Foundation endorsement of and/or mention of the PTB petition - signed by nearly 3k people - in the club's board meeting statement, of which the Foundation & Richard Bowden (both fans representatives) could have attended/should have raised. The lack of cohesion between the Foundation & PTB was especially highlighted given the Foundation had seemed to accept money from an anonymous twitter account selling anti-Lemsagam merchandise, which makes the silence in relation to the petition even more curious? If we've learned anything from talking to Stockport, Leyton Orient, Portsmouth, Brentford & Blackpool (content yet to be released) it's that Trust's & independent supporters groups have to work together to succeed.

@singeThank you for contacting us. Matt will be in touch to arrange a date for your chat re the Lottery just as soon as his move is completed. The Foundation are welcome to come on the podcast as frequently as you wish, as it should be seen as a vehicle from which to communicate to the very people you want to appeal to and/or inform of your work/progress, especially as a rep on the board.

Thanks,

The BPAS team.

3 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Could I offer my two pence worth?

This type of infighting and division is exactly the thing that will have Karl laughing his cock off 

The trust (who I am well documented as being critical of) are restructured and trying to go in a new direction 

Matt with the podcast is amazing as are PTB - all are doing their best for OAFC (as they see)

we as fans need to get behind all

and if Mo asks that question the trust says

”We are a director on your board not the other way around so get fucked and show us the figures we are legally entitled to see”

Do you mean me infighting for agreeing with views expressed on the pod? 

Or infighting generally? 

One the best things about the pod IMO is that Matt tells it like it is. For to long we have had to many mostly well meaning people pulling in different directions. We desperately lack cohesion, particularly in this time of crisis.  You even mention it yourself with ‘all are doing their best as they see’ and that’s the issue. As they see. We’ve got lots of effort and hard work but a lot of it contradicts. We need all bodies getting behind one aim (new ownership) and complimenting each other. But it isn’t happening. Matt said recently about the foundation ‘I’m sick of hearing we can’t get people’ And he’s right- they’ve had the perfect opportunity with PTB to look at extra resources and for whatever reason it isn’t gelling. So we’re back to ‘everyone is doing their best’ I think it’s perfectly reasonable to challenge why people of influence aren’t communicating for the greater good. Or aren’t willing to let go of their ‘vision’ for five minutes and pull together. 

It’s not about people’s effort or commitment. It’s about the effectiveness and cohesion of what they are working on.

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Do you mean me infighting for agreeing with views expressed on the pod? 

Or infighting generally? 

One the best things about the pod IMO is that Matt tells it like it is. For to long we have had to many mostly well meaning people pulling in different directions. We desperately lack cohesion, particularly in this time of crisis.  You even mention it yourself with ‘all are doing their best as they see’ and that’s the issue. As they see. We’ve got lots of effort and hard work but a lot of it contradicts. We need all bodies getting behind one aim (new ownership) and complimenting each other. But it isn’t happening. Matt said recently about the foundation ‘I’m sick of hearing we can’t get people’ And he’s right- they’ve had the perfect opportunity with PTB to look at extra resources and for whatever reason it isn’t gelling. So we’re back to ‘everyone is doing their best’ I think it’s perfectly reasonable to challenge why people of influence aren’t communicating for the greater good. Or aren’t willing to let go of their ‘vision’ for five minutes and pull together. 

It’s not about people’s effort or commitment. It’s about the effectiveness and cohesion of what they are working on.

I meant the back biting between views 

3 hours ago, singe said:

I am on my personal account for obvious reasons, and am a tad dismayed to read your post. It's disheartening to see voluntary work become toxic and sneered at. Vounteers up and down the country keep football clubs and other institutions afloat.

I'm not on the Trust Board, not a Director, just someone who gave money every month for years and was awarded an honorary membership. I decided to give up a lot of time to help set up the Lottery for th Contingency Fund something that has been clamoured (including by me) for years

I was not expecting an avalanche, I've acknowledged trust has to be regained, but I have been suprised at the reluctance to sign up for the Lottery.  Am I wasting my time? I guess fans will vote with their wallets.

I have no exprience in the areas needed, just my enthusiasm to try and make a difference.

I acted on the suggestions I  was given. Can you give examples of  ideas have been ignored?

re the mech the person offered the proceeds, I  replied Thank you for the offer. I  believe we would have got shot down if we'd have refused the money. So lets focus on the positive of more revenue for the Contingency Fund. We need much more, but we've finally started, the Lemsagams could walk at any time.

PTB and The Foundation have their origins in very different places, and are very different beasts, so it is going to take time but they should complement each other. Better to get it right in the long run.
PTB are undeniably brilliant at the media side of things, the Foundation is just burrowing away in the background on meagre resources. We are where we are, it is what it is.

The Lottery is there to be supported, the launch and jackpot winners there to be commented on, the money raised so we at long last have the beginnings of a Contingency Fund. Other plans are being developed and the Foundation are focussing on those, they all take huge effort.

I have not seen ego's at all as I have got to know the Foundation a little better, so I can't see what you are refering to but all I say is please stop the attacks.

It's up to us collectively. Whether that be PTB, Foundation or both that is for every individual to decide, but let's get to work.

Oh, and sign up for the Lottery here!! https://play.clubforce.com/play_newa.asp?ll_id=2889
what are you waiting for!

This response typifies what I’m on about. 

Did you read the bit in the previous post that was actually about you? The bit where I said good luck to him???? 

I haven’t said a single thing about your effort or your commitment, and to say my post is toxic is laughable. Seeing as though my thoughts were echoing the pod - I presume this is toxic as well? Do me a favour. 

It’s not about you. Or your effort. Or what you have raised. I’ll say it again- good luck to you. Fair play. As was mentioned on the pod-  It’s about what to do with the money and specifically should the trust accept it bearing in mind it could further fracture an already threadbare relationship with the owners. They didn’t give an answer to that they just put it out there for thought and discussion. I am replying to that discussion on a forum. Now either the foundation go hostile or they don’t. At the minute there is a bit of both and it looks very confused.  They also said that there seems to be a lack of cohesion between different parties, and we seem to have people doing their thing without communicating at whether this would work best. This seems completely counter productive to me. When the for first time we now have a real independent supporters group who could add real value. 

Just in case you had missed it, or maybe I have posted it elsewhere

PTB met with OASF after we released out strategy. They gave us some homework to complete before they felt they could commit. This included FSA input. As we know everyone is busy with the FLR at the moment

They did say they could consider helping with the ACV pre-trigger work.Specifically, grants and fundraising streams. But we are both pretty busy at the moment.

Both groups offer different routes to hold our club to account. We have a membership that has approved an appointment of the rep, voted to accepted the strategy of how we believe we are the vehicle of fan ownership & the 21 steps to do it (we have completed 6 now), voted to accept the manifesto on club improvement - which backs up the MOU that the club are committed too.

You can be a supporter of both and have both, one working on the inside one on the outside. 

Archived