Song Poll

Blue_Guru

What would you like to sing/hear once that oldham goal flies into the back of the net?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Make your selection for our official chant....

• Love love me do ( a suggestion on JK latics)
    • Guns of navarone
    • Glad all over
    • Mouldy old dough
    • Boys in Blue
    • Party all the time
    • Jump around

We can't be singing Blackpool's 'Glad all over' or Swansea's Welsh chant, that's just as worse as Hudds singing 'Oh When the Bluess.' I think the poll suggests that we've got ourself a winner in Guns of Navarone.

Not really a winner is it when as someone else has said only around 20% of our fans look at this site and only about 10% of those have bothered to vote so it is hardly decisive. I've said before that the vote needs to be done on the official website to reach as many as possible. This email franny what you think for a new song won't work, we need a proper vote on ether. Maybe the club should say get in your entries in by the end of the week and perhaps then the players or shez could pick their favourite 5 and then we could have a vote on the OS?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a winner is it when as someone else has said only around 20% of our fans look at this site and only about 10% of those have bothered to vote so it is hardly decisive. I've said before that the vote needs to be done on the official website to reach as many as possible. This email franny what you think for a new song won't work, we need a proper vote on ether. Maybe the club should say get in your entries in by the end of the week and perhaps then the players or shez could pick their favourite 5 and then we could have a vote on the OS?

You put it to the vote on the official site then you get all the ejit's from the other teams voting for the worst song for a laugh. Plus the people on here represent the whole of the club's vote aswell, It's not our fault they haven't been on here. All I'm saying is that our of the options we've had so far It's by far the most popular. At the end of the day It's just a song to have a laugh and dance to when we score, can't see us dancing around like nutters to moldy ol' dough can you?

I have already e-mailed franny and he is very aware of this post and says he is recording some favourites in order to prepare a vote on the official board next week. I will e-mail him seeing if he can make sure only registered users can vote to deter other clubs fans taking the pish! He said he has received loads of e-mails with some suggestions, some of which sounded pretty cheesy and cringe worthy in my opinion i just hope its a real football chant alla cardiffs rather than something crappy like 'another one bites the dust!'

You put it to the vote on the official site then you get all the ejit's from the other teams voting for the worst song for a laugh. Plus the people on here represent the whole of the club's vote aswell, It's not our fault they haven't been on here. All I'm saying is that our of the options we've had so far It's by far the most popular. At the end of the day It's just a song to have a laugh and dance to when we score, can't see us dancing around like nutters to moldy ol' dough can you?

Lol, your right it's not your fault they haven't been on here, but they may not know about this site so you can't just take away their chance to vote and pick a song amongst yourselves for them. Unless you were around when Madness and The Specials and the like were at their peak you are unlikely to have any affinity with their music and probably unlikely to enjoy there music as it is now out of touch with modern styles. It seems many on here are of around that age group and have grown up with that music and so are voting in numbers for a song that they are fond of. For people like myself and many others, who have no connection to the music or the bands or even the era they are from, this song feels a bit old fashioned and uninspiring.

I'm not just talking about people from my generation either as I believe 'older' people will hardly be likely to sing along to a song they don't really know or have any knowledge of. It may be a 'ska anthem' but it seems to me only people from a certain generation seem to 'appreciate' this sort of music as it is music that they grew up with. I don't want to pigeon hole people but that's just the impression I have got. Do you not think the choice should be a song that is an all time classic that people of all different ages will know and remember from something? That's why i've suggested that Frankly Mr Shankley's choices be put to a vote as well. Song's like Louie Louie and Move on Up are ones that almost everyone would know and they would be much more likely to take off when played after a goal. The more people the 'winner' caters for the more likely it is to be a success imo.

PS. If we did try my idea to get the players or management or chairmen or whatever to pick their favourite 5 of all our suggestions it is unlikely there would be a bad one for the 'ejits' to vote for anyway. If in a week of emailing the club with suggestions we havn't got a good 10 or so for them to whittle down it would be a poor show.

Yeh, but the specails version on youtube is quicker and probally would fit in more ... believe this should just be a general chat (which keeps going and going thoughout the game) though and a great excuse for some rather daft dancing in the paddock

listen to the crowd in this ... class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvhnD-pGd0w...ted&search=

The Specials' version is definitely more match-friendly.

I reckon:

Out of the Tunnel: Mouldy Old Dough

Goal (of which there will be plenty): Guns of Navarone (The Specials)

Out After Half Time: Hard To Beat by Hard-Fi (remeber them?)

Full Time, win or lose: The Boys In Blue, re-recorded by Slayer (Surely they could be persuaded?)

not so much music but how about we have air-raid sirens when we play Tranmere?

They played the Steptoe and Son music after the Dippers game last year :applause1: I think a lot missed it as they'd got out by then. I think Z-cars would be more appropriate, see which of their fans start looking around nervously, subtley dropping "taxed" items and pulling their hats over their face

Have we ever had the eye of the tiger played before the players walk onto the pitch? I think we should use this opportunity to play an upbeat song that will get the players blood pumping something i think this song does for everyone. I just feel a pre match song should get the adrenaline going something i feel fanfare for the common man and mouldy old dough dont do... just my opinion of course but if i was running onto the pitch i would want something to psych me up and get my adrenaline going and theres few better than the significance of eye of the tiger from rocky...

They played the Steptoe and Son music after the Dippers game last year :applause1: I think a lot missed it as they'd got out by then. I think Z-cars would be more appropriate, see which of their fans start looking around nervously, subtley dropping "taxed" items and pulling their hats over their face

nope lees. most people where to busy goading the 50 bin dipper scrotes who ran to the bottom of the RRE. :wink::grin: Dunno about the Chaddy that day, but the Lookers was certainly too busy celebrating and bin dipper bashing to notice what song was bursting out over the tannoy. :grin:

I quite like the Guns of Navarone, but another one which I think I remember hearing last season was when the 4th Latics goal went in against Donny and that was the chorus of Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellis. The man I sat next to was very quiet and hardly said a word, but when that one came on he was up and jumping about, and so were a lot more.

Franny Ward tells me that he's going to conduct a full fans' survey via the official site, the programme and over the PA at the start of the season to determine the most popular music.

If you want to submit your suggested music, email him on:

francis.ward@oldhamathletic.co.uk

P.S. I went to oafc_ok's disco in Derby at the weekend - warming up the vocal chords and der der dering to The Guns Of Navarone! :dance:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns