BPAS PODCAST: 28th Jun '21 Episode 41: One Board Seat vs 3,000

On Friday, I made an impassioned plea to fans, via video message, to join OASF and challenge it's board to start representing Oldham Athletic fans in an authentic manner, ahead of them freezing membership on Wednesday 30th June, prior to their AGM this summer. This week, we find out from Exeter City how effective and profitable a well run, fan owned trust and club can be followed by a frank conversation about the shortcomings of our own supporters trust and what we MUST do about it. It's time for the fans of Oldham Athletic to take back control of our trust and our football club.

You can watch the video, read my blog piece on the issue and sign up as a member of OASF, by clicking here.

Please help us do the work we do by visiting www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing and looking in our online shop. We'll be adding more products in the coming weeks and months and would be grateful if you purchased the odd one or two to show your support!

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.

Edited by BPAS
  • Like 2

• Matt featured this topic

Decent listen,there’s no shortage of people who care passionately about Latics,one strong group is obviously more favorable than 2-3 whom all have their strengths and weaknesses.On a personal note I think Andy does a good job with the interviews,always well researched and asks pertinent questions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BPAS said:

On Friday, I made an impassioned plea to fans, via video message, to join OASF and challenge it's board to start representing Oldham Athletic fans in an authentic manner, ahead of them freezing membership on Wednesday 30th June, prior to their AGM this summer. This week, we find out from Exeter City how effective and profitable a well run, fan owned trust and club can be followed by a frank conversation about the shortcomings of our own supporters trust and what we MUST do about it. It's time for the fans of Oldham Athletic to take back control of our trust and our football club.

You can watch the video, read my blog piece on the issue and sign up as a member of OASF, by clicking here.

Please help us do the work we do by visiting www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing and looking in our online shop. We'll be adding more products in the coming weeks and months and would be grateful if you purchased the odd one or two to show your support!

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.

My only interest is the PTB, and getting the owner out. Why has the focus shifted from - we have had 4/5 bids for the club in the last 12/18 months- to the trust and the potential of being fan owned? 

PTB can’t hold AL to account. 

The trust can’t and won’t hold AL to account. 

Even if the trust changed to a PTB mentality, and resigned the seat on the board. Then what- the 3%? To do what with? Send aggressive letters to see the books? To tell us what- we’re skint again? What does control of the trust give us, with an owner who pays the bills, puts his money in and refuses to sell? Nothing.

We’re arguing about who he gets to tell to fuck off first. 

Elaine (who spoke really well) confirmed everything I thought about the trust. I have no interest for the inevitable hostility and infighting. I think it will lead to lots of frustration, and wasted time and effort-  at a time when there is a group (plus yourself) who have already galvanised the majority and are doing a great Job at applying pressure, and raising awareness. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamHughes said:

Decent listen,there’s no shortage of people who care passionately about Latics,one strong group is obviously more favorable than 2-3 whom all have their strengths and weaknesses.On a personal note I think Andy does a good job with the interviews,always well researched and asks pertinent questions.

Thanks. FWIW, I have every admiration for your dad putting himself forward to do the job he is, but we think the Foundation needs to seek its mandate from a broader church of fans & it needs to be much more nimble than it currently is. No other Trust that we’ve spoken to is as laden with bureaucracy as ours. It’s needs an overhaul & those in situ need to represent us all.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Thanks. FWIW, I have every admiration for your dad putting himself forward to do the job he is, but we think the Foundation needs to seek its mandate from a broader church of fans & it needs to be much more nimble than it currently is. No other Trust that we’ve spoken to is as laden with bureaucracy as ours. It’s needs an overhaul & those in situ need to represent us all.

Didn’t know this was you. 

I would second what Graham said, you come across great in the pod. Very balanced and insightful. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, League one forever said:

My only interest is the PTB, and getting the owner out. Why has the focus shifted from - we have had 4/5 bids for the club in the last 12/18 months- to the trust and the potential of being fan owned? 

PTB can’t hold AL to account. 

The trust can’t and won’t hold AL to account. 

Even if the trust changed to a PTB mentality, and resigned the seat on the board. Then what- the 3%? To do what with? Send aggressive letters to see the books? To tell us what- we’re skint again? What does control of the trust give us, with an owner who pays the bills, puts his money in and refuses to sell? Nothing.

We’re arguing about who he gets to tell to fuck off first. 

Elaine (who spoke really well) confirmed everything I thought about the trust. I have no interest for the inevitable hostility and infighting. I think it will lead to lots of frustration, and wasted time and effort-  at a time when there is a group (plus yourself) who have already galvanised the majority and are doing a great Job at applying pressure, and raising awareness. 

The focus/narrative hasn’t shifted to ‘Fan owned’, the Focus is, ‘look at what can be achieved with a successfully functioning Trust’. It just so happens that Exeter are fan owned, so that was the story this week. Last week - with Blackpool - it was about removing an owner via a Trust & an independent supporters group - The Tangerine Knights - working together.

The problem we have as a collective is the owner can claim PTB - and those of us that lend our support to them - are not representative when our Trust do not support them & there is another sympathetic cohort of ‘Realistic’ supporters/sponsors/Barry who lend weight to that view. The latter have now defected, so the last bastion is our Trust. We need everyone to unite behind one cause so we can apply maximum pressure from all angles.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Didn’t know this was you. 

I would second what Graham said, you come across great in the pod. Very balanced and insightful. 

Thanks. We’re doing our best and we genuinely want to unite, not hostility and infighting, as that only serves Abdallah.

Edited by lookersstandandy

37 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

The focus/narrative hasn’t shifted to ‘Fan owned’, the Focus is, ‘look at what can be achieved with a successfully functioning Trust’. It just so happens that Exeter are fan owned, so that was the story this week. Last week - with Blackpool - it was about removing an owner via a Trust & an independent supporters group - The Tangerine Knights - working together.

The problem we have as a collective is the owner can claim PTB - and those of us that lend our support to them - are not representative when our Trust do not support them & there is another sympathetic cohort of ‘Realistic’ supporters/sponsors/Barry who lend weight to that view. The latter have now defected, so the last bastion is our Trust. We need everyone to unite behind one cause so we can apply maximum pressure from all angles.

Your last sentence is confusing Andy, because I’m not sure what one cause is. 

Are we focusing our effort on a trust that we all join - so we’re under one roof? (Effectively meaning we don’t need the PTB because the new trust will truly reflect the fans) 

Or 

Are we focusing on the trust being better run so it dovetails with the PTB more effectively, and pressure’s from all angles? 

My preference is the latter, and I think the trusts position on things is becoming more and more untenable with the work PTB doing, and plans to do. I’d like to see what happens in the coming months. . 

Listening to the pod today, the panel all had different ideas/thoughts on the best way forward. (Nothing wrong with that) But action is being asked, without an understanding of the ultimate goal is. The PTB lads have a clear vision, and communicate it really well. I don’t want to see that momentum lost, by it either being swallowed up by the trust. Or battling for the best way forward. 

In short, the PTB are doing great. And in our circumstances, restructuring the trust at this moment in time feels a backward step. 

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

Your last sentence is confusing Andy, because I’m not sure what one cause is. 

Are we focusing our effort on a trust that we all join - so we’re under one roof? (Effectively meaning we don’t need the PTB because the new trust will truly reflect the fans) 

Or 

Are we focusing on the trust being better run so it dovetails with the PTB more effectively, and pressure’s from all angles? 

My preference is the latter, and I think the trusts position on things is becoming more and more untenable with the work PTB doing, and plans to do. I’d like to see what happens in the coming months. . 

Listening to the pod today, the panel all had different ideas/thoughts on the best way forward. (Nothing wrong with that) But action is being asked, without an understanding of the ultimate goal is. The PTB lads have a clear vision, and communicate it really well. I don’t want to see that momentum lost, by it either being swallowed up by the trust. Or battling for the best way forward. 

In short, the PTB are doing great. And in our circumstances, restructuring the trust at this moment in time feels a backward step. 

The latter.

The Stockport County Supporters Co-Operative, that brought all their groups (inc their Trust - which unlike Exeter failed to run their club), under one roof, as told by Russ & Nick from The Scarf Bergara Wore podcast.

Pompey Trust & SOS Pompey. Ashley Brown told us they worked together.

Blackpool Supporters Trust & The Tangerine Knights, who Christine Seddon referred to as the provisional wing.

Bees United, Brentford Independent Association of Supporters (BIAS) & Beesotted, their Fanzine/Podcast. Stuart Purvis told us Bees United was formed from BIAS and Beesotted was the voice.

Our circumstances are different, but the lesson is the same.

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Just to counter argue the lookersstandandy love-in, I find his obsession with Andy Holt repulsive... 😂

Short of landing a Benham, a Landsdown, a Hemmings, a Sadler, Andy Holt is the best owner/chairman you could wish to have. Pragmatic. Honest. Thoughtful. A man with morals & a great communicator, who serves the townsfolk of Accrington with distinction.

• Like 2

I listened with interest.

I  thought the segment with the Exeter Trust was really good, that seems the closest to our situation and how I personally envisage our club. I thought the middle became familiar with some unfair criticisms, eg about age, the moan about trying to recruit people, haven’t tried hard enough, then sick of hearing how often trying to get people . I’m not yet sick of hearing how hard Matt and Andy work on the podcast…. 😉 There were fair criticisms, a good number admitted by the Foundation,  like prioritising what to do and getting the bank account and guardians resolved.

But the best  was last. The impassioned pleas to join and make a difference raised some great points, and the positivity of what to do next, who should do what needs to be carried forward. 451members out of 1,105, or 30,00 or 4,300 views of Mat’s video shows a huge apathy, and the biggest Immediate hurdle. We can’t even wait for the new season , because the number of fans attending will be dramatically lower.

It's time to work together, stop sling arrows. The negativity has harmed the number of people joining the Foundation, despite a good effort. Time to start collectively working on a strategy for Day 1 after the AGM.

Edited by singe
  • Like 3

• Matt unfeatured this topic
  • Matt featured and unfeatured this topic

Not really kept up to speed with all this and I will have a listen in due course. Seriously, though, if I am reading this right, how can anybody expect fans to "get behind" the Trust? (in whatever guise it has re-invented itself). They have exhibited years of incompetence. Some well-meaning people, no doubt, but they prattle on about peripheral issues and constantly get all excited about some of their board's "impressive cv's" (guess what - a cv is basically a sales document for a person - invariably full of hyped up shite). Meanwhile, they have achieved precisely NOTHING. No way can I back them (and I`m not alone) - ditch the Trust for me and unite behind PTB who, prima facie, appear to have at least been "in tune" with the majority of fans - and possess something resembling a spine.

13 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Hi @BPASplease can we chase Karl Evans to appear again? And maybe a Q and A because that fraud needs to be put on the spot 

Can they catch pigeons?

34 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Not really kept up to speed with all this and I will have a listen in due course. Seriously, though, if I am reading this right, how can anybody expect fans to "get behind" the Trust? (in whatever guise it has re-invented itself). They have exhibited years of incompetence. Some well-meaning people, no doubt, but they prattle on about peripheral issues and constantly get all excited about some of their board's "impressive cv's" (guess what - a cv is basically a sales document for a person - invariably full of hyped up shite). Meanwhile, they have achieved precisely NOTHING. No way can I back them (and I`m not alone) - ditch the Trust for me and unite behind PTB who, prima facie, appear to have at least been "in tune" with the majority of fans - and possess something resembling a spine.

I have to say - I agree. 

All this- let’s change the trust from the inside and make it what we want is a massive sideshow and lead to more division and local parish politics. To argue otherwise is naive to its history. PTB have done more in 12 months than the trust have done in 16 years- maybe that’s unfair- but that is the optics. And again that is indicative of where the trust are. 

IMO- Just resign the seat, and keep the share. (That still has value in the right hands ) And get behind PTB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I have to say - I agree. 

All this- let’s change the trust from the inside and make it what we want is a massive sideshow and lead to more division and local parish politics. To argue otherwise is naive to its history. PTB have done more in 12 months than the trust have done in 16 years- maybe that’s unfair- but that is the optics. And again that is indicative of where the trust are. 

IMO- Just resign the seat, and keep the share. (That still has value in the right hands ) And get behind PTB. 

You say PTB have done so much more in 12 mths than The Trust in 16 yrs, well if listening to employees, ex employees, players, etc floats your boat then crack on, they have.

But what have the actually achieved? Is the club taking more notice of them than The Trust? Has the club altered any of it's modus operandi as a result of PTB actions?

You quote`let's change the trust from the inside is a massive sideshow'-it's the very thing PTB now want to do now. So much that they now realise the only way forward is a seat at the table and so they want you all to vote at the AGM.

For them or their proxies and then what?

Listened to most of the podcast and then decided to have a look at the re-vamped "Trust" website under their new guise of OASF Ltd. The second sentence I read on there was; "As part of a fan lead campaign....." Illustrates perfectly why I won't entertain them. If you don't even know the difference between lead (the metal) and led (as in leading) then what possible chance have you got with regard to galvanising a disgruntled/fragmented fan base and devising a long-term strategy to secure the future of professional football in Oldham?

What is desperately needed is an effective leader of a unified body to take this forward. Disagree with the idea of "changing from within OASF via a vote of no confidence" as mooted in the podcast. Trust/OASF is just too tainted by years of incompetence to be taken seriously, aside from the fundamental issue that its number of members is very poor (and will never be raised significantly because of its reputation).

Some good points made in the podcast but, as always, action will ultimately speak far louder than words.

6 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Listened to most of the podcast and then decided to have a look at the re-vamped "Trust" website under their new guise of OASF Ltd. The second sentence I read on there was; "As part of a fan lead campaign....." Illustrates perfectly why I won't entertain them. If you don't even know the difference between lead (the metal) and led (as in leading) then what possible chance have you got with regard to galvanising a disgruntled/fragmented fan base and devising a long-term strategy to secure the future of professional football in Oldham?

What is desperately needed is an effective leader of a unified body to take this forward. Disagree with the idea of "changing from within OASF via a vote of no confidence" as mooted in the podcast. Trust/OASF is just too tainted by years of incompetence to be taken seriously, aside from the fundamental issue that its number of members is very poor (and will never be raised significantly because of its reputation).

Some good points made in the podcast but, as always, action will ultimately speak far louder than words.

Lead isn’t just the metal 

and is literacy when it comes to a Football Trust really that important?

We aren’t asking them to write a best selling novel thought Jules Verne is thought to have been dyslexic 

I’ve no time for the group and even less after they ignored the petition and back that awful statement the other week but that’s a really low blow in my opinion 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

In additions to Evans let’s also see if Corney fancies letting us know how he think his

“I will only ever sell to the right person who can take this club forward” plan is going 

This all day. I'd also like to know why it took him so long to sell it in the first place.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

You say PTB have done so much more in 12 mths than The Trust in 16 yrs, well if listening to employees, ex employees, players, etc floats your boat then crack on, they have.

But what have the actually achieved? Is the club taking more notice of them than The Trust? Has the club altered any of it's modus operandi as a result of PTB actions?

You quote`let's change the trust from the inside is a massive sideshow'-it's the very thing PTB now want to do now. So much that they now realise the only way forward is a seat at the table and so they want you all to vote at the AGM.

For them or their proxies and then what?

PTB have - in no particular order. 

Galvanised the fan base by creating a true independent supporters group. 

Had excellent lines of communication with the fans, and constantly welcomed input and new ideas. 

Put out consistently professional and balanced statements. 

Organised surveys to actually ask the fans what they want, and what is stopping us from coming. To try and inform the club of the depth of ill will in the fanbase. 

Held various meetings with the incumbent chief executive to try and affect change, before realising it gets them nowhere. 

Tried to ask the owner to meet on multiple occasions. 

Set up a petition which 3000 people signed and sent to the club to show the measure of dissatisfaction. 

Spoke to Angela Rayner MP for Oldham to raise awareness of our plight. I believe another meeting with other MP for Oldham is being set up. 

Plans to boycott at home games, to build financial pressure on the owner. 

So- what have they achieved? 

Well, I’d say a hell of a lot actually. And for the time years they give me something to get behind. Maybe they’ll be ultimately unsuccessful in forcing the owners hand. But it’s inspiring to see people try. 

Where I would agree with you, and because of the above- Is advocating getting involved in the trust. They’re doing just fine without it. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

In additions to Evans let’s also see if Corney fancies letting us know how he think his

“I will only ever sell to the right person who can take this club forward” plan is going 

I'd be interested in hearing what he has got to say for himself..