Local Legends!

Harold Wilson :D

I used to go to St anselms, and when we used to sneak out at dinner time and go to the chippy, we used to see him 'lurking' around the coppice area!

He was dead funny!!!!

He used to chase you down the street, i even remember him 'scoffing' a big handful of what looked like ham before trying to throw it 500yards down the road at us....quality :grin:

The man you seek was known as Foreign Coin Eddie,lived a couple of streets from me with his sister near Hulme Grammar school.He was knocking around Oldham when i was at school nearly 30 years ago.

Originally he used to come and badger you for foreign coins (no,really,never have guessed would you) and he collected lolly sticks as well.Always used to have some sticking out of his top pocket.

The Harold Wilson thing was apparently started by a mate of mine,didn't know the mate back in those days but he lays claim to it.Eddie was a staunch Heathite and the kids then used to taunt him with Harold Wilson shouts which sent him into a mad frenzy.My mate used to make films when he was a kid on an old cine camera round Coppice using Eddie as the main character,he's been threatening to put 'em on video or dvd for yonks.

Eddies dead now has been for a few years but he was certainly one on his own :grin: .

Edited by inspectormorose

Funnily enough I posted the following about Eddie on another forum the other day!

"There used to be another guy in Oldham in the 70s - 80s - "Foreign Coin Eddie" was one of the nicknames he had. He was an older man (Late 50s/60s) and was always trawling the litter bins. The funny thing was, he would go mental at the mention of "Harold Wilson", so kids being kids would shout this at him.

He'd yell and swear and flick the Vs at anyone who had dared mention Harold Wilson! One of those urban legends you hear is that he was "very successful/a Millionaire/ a scientist" who had lost his fortune/status because the government had ripped him off! It makes me piss just thinking about him now! "

Didn't he live on Grendon Avenue? I always remember him acosting me and my sister (I was about 7, my sister 13) outside Romeo & Juliets, he wanted us to go down into the underground toilets (remember them?) to look for cigarette cards. My dad had just pulled up in the car and chased him off.

Funnily enough I posted the following about Eddie on another forum the other day!

"There used to be another guy in Oldham in the 70s - 80s - "Foreign Coin Eddie" was one of the nicknames he had. He was an older man (Late 50s/60s) and was always trawling the litter bins. The funny thing was, he would go mental at the mention of "Harold Wilson", so kids being kids would shout this at him.

He'd yell and swear and flick the Vs at anyone who had dared mention Harold Wilson! One of those urban legends you hear is that he was "very successful/a Millionaire/ a scientist" who had lost his fortune/status because the government had ripped him off! It makes me piss just thinking about him now! "

Didn't he live on Grendon Avenue? I always remember him acosting me and my sister (I was about 7, my sister 13) outside Romeo & Juliets, he wanted us to go down into the underground toilets (remember them?) to look for cigarette cards. My dad had just pulled up in the car and chased him off.

Yeah think your right John,was Grendon couple of streets up from me.

Think after his sister died he was left to his own devices and didn't last much longer himself.

The man you seek was known as Foreign Coin Eddie,lived a couple of streets from me

I remember him well in the 70's when I was a nipper, he certainly did live somewhere on the Coppice, I didn't know it was Grendon Ave.

I used to see him alot on Chamber Road and Heron Street, I only really remember him collecting cigarette cards and trawling through bins looking for them.

He always looked very dishevelled and his clothes were a little ill fitting, he would have food stains down his front and dribbled alot.

I heard all the urban legends about him being a rich eccentric etc.

I did know that he used to live with his sister.

I figured he'd be dead by now but wasn't certain until you just confirmed it.