Club statement

25 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I see Lags is all over Facebook claiming this site is riven with racist posts. 

I don't do Facebook, but that's a pretty misguided claim. There might be a few crackpot on here but I haven't witnessed racist posts. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I don't do Facebook, but that's a pretty misguided claim. There might be a few crackpot on here but I haven't witnessed racist posts. 

It’s not misguided - it’s a bitter twisted individual making libellous comments about a site that called him out and he left in the sad desperate hope the wider internet world take notice 

Hes a tool 

Please debate the points rather than the person making the points, and keep this debate sensible, factual, and generally pleasant - if there's a whiff of prejudice, or the regurgitation of insular chatgroup memes I'll knock it on the head.

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

insular chatgroup memes

image.png

"That was The Insular Chatgoup Memes withThe Ballad of Laurence Fox, probably played at the wrong speed. Anyway, here's The Wedding Present."

5 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Please Latics stop this kneeling  supporting BLM. If they continue then i sadly will stop watching the team ive supported all my life until it stops

May I ask why you have any choice in how a poc and thier collegues choose to protest and show solidarity against racism ? 

6 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Please Latics stop this kneeling  supporting BLM. If they continue then i sadly will stop watching the team ive supported all my life until it stops

We all saw on Sunday night that unfortunately racism is still part of football.

If footballers making a very short peaceful demonstration about this issue generally offends you that badly that you won't attend football matched not only are you part of the problem but I actually feel sorry for you.

People often say they don’t agree with taking the knee because of the link with the BLM movement and it’s political roots.

I think football as taken this gesture and made it their own.  It has now been adopted by footballers, as their own gesture/sign of support for anti racism. 
it is their way of keeping this subject current. 

We can all now afford to forget the link to the BLM movement, because that is broken.

Thats my view anyway.

19 minutes ago, Pidge said:

People often say they don’t agree with taking the knee because of the link with the BLM movement and it’s political roots.

I think football as taken this gesture and made it their own.  It has now been adopted by footballers, as their own gesture/sign of support for anti racism. 
it is their way of keeping this subject current. 

We can all now afford to forget the link to the BLM movement, because that is broken.

Thats my view anyway.

I think they made a mistake in the early stages by using the BLM phrase which inevitably associates it with the political movement but anyone now who doesn't understand the point of it can only be wilfully ignoring it

The footballers taking the knee could not have made their reasons for doing it any clearer.  Anyone choosing to believe what a mail/express/talkradio rentagob says it's "really about" is part of the problem.

And if you understand and believe what the players themselves are telling you its for and still object/boo then you're an even bigger part of the problem. 

51 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We all saw on Sunday night that unfortunately racism is still part of football.

I rather think it demonstrated that racism is, sadly, still a part of society....football was simply the vehicle in that moment.

I also think social media magnifies a single comment far too much and the actions of a handful of scumbags is treated as though the entire population has turned feral and racist which is surely not true

I am old enough to remember when the UK was truly racist and homophobic (although most individuals aren’t per se, they are just afraid of change which is a common human trait). We have made massive progress in changing and should continue to celebrate that and, as we have seen since Sunday, show the country’s true feelings when a few scumbags appear.

We are on the right path and true success comes when we don’t feel the need to mention a players colour....most well adjusted people don’t think of Saka or Sancho or Mings like that, we simply want to debate whether they should start ahead of another player and their best position.

Southgate isn’t perfect, the players aren’t perfect, the country isn’t perfect but you know what, it isn’t bad either and the media needs to reflect the positive progress more and the England football team is not only a reflection of our social make up it is also clearly loved and supported by the overwhelming majority of the country.

5 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I rather think it demonstrated that racism is, sadly, still a part of society....football was simply the vehicle in that moment.

True, but football is so often the vehicle for horrendous behaviour much of which was on full display at Wembley.  Makes me ashamed to be associated with it when I talk to people who have no interest

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

I also think social media magnifies a single comment far too much and the actions of a handful of scumbags is treated as though the entire population has turned feral and racist which is surely not true

I am old enough to remember when the UK was truly racist and homophobic (although most individuals aren’t per se, they are just afraid of change which is a common human trait). We have made massive progress in changing and should continue to celebrate that and, as we have seen since Sunday, show the country’s true feelings when a few scumbags appear.

We are on the right path and true success comes when we don’t feel the need to mention a players colour....most well adjusted people don’t think of Saka or Sancho or Mings like that, we simply want to debate whether they should start ahead of another player and their best position.

Southgate isn’t perfect, the players aren’t perfect, the country isn’t perfect but you know what, it isn’t bad either and the media needs to reflect the positive progress more and the England football team is not only a reflection of our social make up it is also clearly loved and supported by the overwhelming majority of the country.

You are right, in the 70s decent people laughed at racist jokes made by comedians and TV shows of the time, whereas the vast majority would cringe now.

The world is far better for that change in attitude.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

image.png

"That was The Insular Chatgoup Memes withThe Ballad of Laurence Fox, probably played at the wrong speed. Anyway, here's The Wedding Present."

Right time. Right place. Wrong speed. 

What an absolute legend. How can listening to the wireless, on your own, as a kid, ever have been so great?

And the book. Never have l been so devastated not to know the outcome of an anecdote. If l didn't force myself to read on after the first few lines of that following chapter that would have been only the second book, after the bible, which l didn't complete.

😍.

ps l enjoyed the Qu'Ran, even tho it's pretty much the same story as the bible.

10 hours ago, Flemboy said:

I could see this racking up downvotes. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

True, but football is so often the vehicle for horrendous behaviour much of which was on full display at Wembley.  Makes me ashamed to be associated with it when I talk to people who have no interest

tbf if l lived near wembley for the only final of my lifetime and they announced that hundreds got in free for the semi, l'd 100% try and peacefully ride that wave into the stadium.

Personally of the opinion that there was in excess of 100 000 people in that crowd of '60 000'

3 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

That's a very fair point we do need to recognise we have a come a long way in this regard. We also must understand that most England supporters wanted to turn up enjoy the games get behind the team and sing sweet Caroline.

I've also thoroughly enjoyed watching this England team in the Euros. Between 2006-20018 I was quite dissilusioned watching the England football team. They came across as an entitled overpaid detached mercenaries who didn't care about playing for England and couldn't put club rivalries to one side. This group is different they are young men who want to do well for England who have bonded together and also have a social conscience. For some reason we like to bash young people in this country yet this group of young men who come from all across the UK have put their peers to shame. Yes some of them are guilty of the trappings of fame and fortune but they reflect a better version of us.

Gareth Southgate deserves a huge amount of credit for this for not only being a good strategic coach but also the way he's handled the press and lead with dignity and to be capable of shutting that huge noise that surrounds the England team out.

When the dust settles on this summer we will look back and remember an England team and a coach who lead the country on and off the pitch in the right way.

Archived