Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:


Not seen that at all

 

im not a huge fan of taking the knee to be honest purely because as Wilfred Zaha has said it doesn’t achieve anything 

 

Does it negatively affect me in the slightest that they do it for less than 10 seconds before kick off? No

 

So why would I stop going to watch my team over it? I wouldn’t and I find it very very strange that anyone would 

On this subject- totally agree mate. 
 

However just because I may see it differently to you or anybody else on another subject I don’t think my opinion is worth more than yours, nor do I think I’m more intelligent if I happen to disagree with you. Very few are able to debate argument, and genuinely try to see it from the other persons point of view with taking as some kind of personal affront. 
 

It’s a forum- for debate. Sometimes people will hold the polar opposite opinion- that’s life. 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, League one forever said:

 

inferred

 

 

I'm not sure I agree with this, Sealioning is hard to spot and I don't honestly think that goes on around here. We had one member who did do this, and it was so simperingly sickly sweet that it made it very easy to spot. Also, as you probably already know, debate with emotion through typed word on the internet is so difficult to convey - and an inferred situation can be misjudged very easlly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

 

I'm not sure I agree with this, Sealioning is hard to spot and I don't honestly think that goes on around here. We had one member who did do this, and it was so simperingly sickly sweet that it made it very easy to spot. Also, as you probably already know, debate with emotion through typed word on the internet is so difficult to convey - and an inferred situation can be misjudged very easlly.

That’s a very fair point, and I don’t envy you trying to substantiate what is what through written word. (Barring the obvious or blatant) 

I’m reading through my filters, and what I find patronising/belittling others may not. Particularly with the written word, which is difficult to put emphasis or connotation to. You asked for examples, and I thought about highlighting it but I didn’t because the said posters would no doubt say how dare you or similar. And I just can’t be arsed. Notwithstanding, I stick to my opinion that it’s there, particularly when a poster posts something against the popular narrative in whatever subject area. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Defo everybody was stood up couldnt even see the aisles in half the stadium nevermind an empty seat (apart from that part where people pay like £60K per year then never sit in it) and it officially holds over 90 000 l think.

Plus l've watched it four times and subconciously counted everybody.

I was there Monty. Loads of empty seats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s a very fair point, and I don’t envy you trying to substantiate what is what through written word. (Barring the obvious or blatant) 

I’m reading through my filters, and what I find patronising/belittling others may not. Particularly with the written word, which is difficult to put emphasis or connotation to. You asked for examples, and I thought about highlighting it but I didn’t because the said posters would no doubt say how dare you or similar. And I just can’t be arsed. Notwithstanding, I stick to my opinion that it’s there, particularly when a poster posts something against the popular narrative in whatever subject area. 

 

I understand your point of view, and we do have to let go of our convictions sometimes to allow scrutiny, I think that's healthy in debate to move to a better position - however sometimes, like when discussion of prejudice and equality appears, there aren't two sides. There is the side of the prejudiced and how we can all make it better for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Least of all why a group of people who have become millionaires in their twenties I.e. the big winners in a capitalist system would support it.

 

 

Southgate.. right that's all from me, Harry would you like a word before we go back out?

 

Kane.. Cheers Gaffer.. From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, wroteforluck87 said:

 

 

Southgate.. right that's all from me, Harry would you like a word before we go back out?

 

Kane.. Cheers Gaffer.. From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs! 

 

You can imagine the team meetings the day before the game. 

 

Southgate. Right tomorrow's game No tactics, formations, or set piece routines I'm giving you all a copy of Das Kapital and I expect you to read it from cover to cover for tomorrow's game. We are not here to win games but to overthrow the capitalist system.

 

Can you imagine how confused some of them would be with it. 

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I have no problem with @Flemboydisagreeing with the players stance.

Do the latics players decide? . If so that’s fine. We read everywhere that the gesture comes from the players. But in our case:

 

4 hours ago, al_bro said:

I noticed last season that Latics didn't take the knee in all the games. I have no idea why.

After Curle arrived latics took the knee every game. Obviously this may just be coincidence, but on the other hand, it could be inferred that with Kewell the decision was in the hands of the players, who after discussing it with the opposition , made the decision. After Kewell perhaps it was policy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The taking the knee has quite an interesting history. 

 

Colin Kapaernick (?sp) the San Francisco 49ers quarterback stopped standing for the US national anthem (played before every NFL game even those in Canada / Mexico / UK) because of the oppression of black men by various police forces across the US. But instead of standing he remained seated on the bench. 

 

Nate Boyer a former NFL player for the 49ers biggest rivals, Seattle Seahawks, who happens to be a former US Marine was quite publicly outspoken about Kapaernick's activities. Not because he didn't respect the reason behind Kapaernick remaining seated during the anthem but because Boyer felt it was disrespectful to the millions of US service men and women fighting and sometimes dying to "protect US freedoms and values around the world". 

 

So Boyer met with Kapaernick to discuss other methods of protest. Between them they came to the solution of "taking the knee" akin to what people do at graves when showing their respect. So from that point Kapaernick took the knee instead of remaining seated. I think at the next game Boyer was stood behind him demonstrating his approval for the gesture. 

 

That's how taking the knee became a thing. Now a millionaire former US marine and a multi-millionaire 20-something don't exactly sound like radical Marxists trying to convert people to Marxism. But that's just me. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The players have repeatedly come out and said that them taking the knee is purely a stance against racism. Nothing more, nothing less - it really can’t be any clearer. 
 

Anyone pretending otherwise is either completely ignorant or has a problem with people taking a stand against racism.

 

I also happen to think that the act has run it’s course and that there must be other ways of combatting the issue. However I’m not a black footballer getting racially abused on a daily basis so what I think doesn’t really matter and if that’s their way of making a stand, they should be fully supported.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Tbh, if people are going to boo an anti-racism campaign, I'd rather they didnt attend.

Quite.

It's their choice stop smothering them telling them what to do 😂

If they want to lick covid windows, who are we to tell them not to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Tbh, if people are going to boo an anti-racism campaign, I'd rather they didnt attend.

I think you'll find that 'black lives matter' is racist rather than anti racist merely by its name apart from its political agenda. The world is full of racism and other 'isms' that never gets challenged. The police have a black officers association but not a white one, they also have a gay officers association but not a homophobic one, there are Irish clubs but not English ones, there are catholic clubs but not atheist ones. This is because people want to pigeon hole themselves and have a label, perhaps Groucho Marks had it right by saying 'I don't want to be a member of a club who would have me as a member'. If you could have an opposite to all these clubs and associations there would be outrage, if you stand with two arms in the air supporting a white lives matter campaign there would also be outrage, quite rightly by the black community, all lives matter. Can we therefore scrap all these clubs and campaigns and just accept people as people, accept them for what they are regardless of colour, creed, religion, superstition etc. I agree with Voltaire, who said something like, 'I wholly disapprove of what you say and I will defend till the death your right to say it'. I think it used to be called freedom of speech, I'm old enough to remember it!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

I think you'll find that 'black lives matter' is racist rather than anti racist merely by its name apart from its political agenda. The world is full of racism and other 'isms' that never gets challenged. The police have a black officers association but not a white one, they also have a gay officers association but not a homophobic one, there are Irish clubs but not English ones, there are catholic clubs but not atheist ones. This is because people want to pigeon hole themselves and have a label, perhaps Groucho Marks had it right by saying 'I don't want to be a member of a club who would have me as a member'. If you could have an opposite to all these clubs and associations there would be outrage, if you stand with two arms in the air supporting a white lives matter campaign there would also be outrage, quite rightly by the black community, all lives matter. Can we therefore scrap all these clubs and campaigns and just accept people as people, accept them for what they are regardless of colour, creed, religion, superstition etc. I agree with Voltaire, who said something like, 'I wholly disapprove of what you say and I will defend till the death your right to say it'. I think it used to be called freedom of speech, I'm old enough to remember it!

Good grief. That reads like you think homophobic is the opposite of gay! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, LaticMark said:

 

:petesake:  Try reading some of the moderate, sensible, and well written posts above before posting an asinine comment.

 

 

 

Really? Ageism seems to be acceptable to some )Monty Burns for example). Asinine is a bit strong too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pjkent said:

 

Really? Ageism seems to be acceptable to some )Monty Burns for example). Asinine is a bit strong too.

😂😂😂😂

Already said this myself, don't need a lap dog yapping for me pal, worst bit of grassing ever make sure to report it.

l also suggested he don't leave but come along and boo so l must be racist, l drew attention to it myself so l must be a narcissist. l said l'd try n get in Wembley free for the final so l must be a hooligan theif free loader.

Or maybe l'm just fuckin about bored, being lighthearted on a msg board and not takin life so seriously.

Don't be such a precious cunt, especially if youre a daft racist sympathiser.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Good grief. That reads like you think homophobic is the opposite of gay! 

 

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

Not at all, as with others its just an example.


It would have a better example if you had used the word ‘heterosexual’ maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...