Club statement

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It would have a better example if you had used the word ‘heterosexual’ maybe?

Or metrosexual or pansexual or any other kind of sexual, I don't care what people are or how they like to define themselves or what kind of box they want to put themselves into, at the end of the day we are all just people. Perhaps the only ones who have issue with this are the ones who already have a pigeon hole.

Topic title- Club Statement.

Topic contents- Racism, Ageism, Same Sex Bumming, Closed mindedness, Extreme openness (not cavity related), Weasel like Snitching, Snivelling, Childhood Ruining Bad Language, Attentive Thoughtful Moderating, Crying.

Rating- PG.

16 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Not seen that at all

im not a huge fan of taking the knee to be honest purely because as Wilfred Zaha has said it doesn’t achieve anything 

Does it negatively affect me in the slightest that they do it for less than 10 seconds before kick off? No

So why would I stop going to watch my team over it? I wouldn’t and I find it very very strange that anyone would 

l used to love it when Kapernick did it, would have loved to have been in a room with trump every time. Anything to oppose the US and what it stands for 👍🏻.

Well anything except fundamentalist militarised Muzlamics of course. Just.

3 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

I think you'll find that 'black lives matter' is racist rather than anti racist merely by its name apart from its political agenda. The world is full of racism and other 'isms' that never gets challenged. The police have a black officers association but not a white one, they also have a gay officers association but not a homophobic one, there are Irish clubs but not English ones, there are catholic clubs but not atheist ones. This is because people want to pigeon hole themselves and have a label, perhaps Groucho Marks had it right by saying 'I don't want to be a member of a club who would have me as a member'. If you could have an opposite to all these clubs and associations there would be outrage, if you stand with two arms in the air supporting a white lives matter campaign there would also be outrage, quite rightly by the black community, all lives matter. Can we therefore scrap all these clubs and campaigns and just accept people as people, accept them for what they are regardless of colour, creed, religion, superstition etc. I agree with Voltaire, who said something like, 'I wholly disapprove of what you say and I will defend till the death your right to say it'. I think it used to be called freedom of speech, I'm old enough to remember it!

I read it as, and I'm fairly certain this is how the Americans wanted it to be, Black Lives Matter as well as other lives - but that because a bit of a mouthful I guess :D It makes sense when you think about it as all lives do matter but perhaps at this time some need more help right now, there are plenty of analogies that help with this statement - one about the house fire springs to mind.

Like most of these clubs you've mentioned, I assume these are founded as a social club to help the communities - Catholic clubs for example is understandable as it wasn't only dogs that were barred entry to certain establishments.

So until we accept people as people and nothing else, we're stuck with groups supporting each other to help them through prejudice and discrimination - a refuge if you will. Some folk just don't want to accept other folk into their lives, and that's the problem.

I like this: "...if you're neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." 

And there are Atheist clubs, believe it or not!

2 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

God knows!

I see what you did there .

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I wonder what they talk about... 

I say Atheist, but they are more skeptical societies that anything else. Like Skeptics in the Pub, where - from time to time - they would invite guests and scientists to chat and present topics for discussion. They used to be called Science and Lit clubs I suppose, but they've evolved somewhat into events as big as conferences like the QED one in Manchester.

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Topic title- Club Statement.

Topic contents- Racism, Ageism, Same Sex Bumming, Closed mindedness, Extreme openness (not cavity related), Weasel like Snitching, Snivelling, Childhood Ruining Bad Language, Attentive Thoughtful Moderating, Crying.

Rating- PG.

All the best OWTB topics tend to meander gently from time to time.

Sounds to me like he took a bit of stick and decided to play the race card. Unless there's evidence of actual racism I'm going to assume these two have concocted this story to intimidate the fans and make them scared to confront our glorious leaders. 

Going all the way back to the OP, my only observation would be that the moral high ground is precious - so don't abandon it.

As for the wide debate about racism - I'd offer a comparison with Another View From The Tower, which is our main forum. We have a separate Politics Board, and it seems to be a magnet for people with what I regard as out and out racist attitudes - always there when race is discussed to offer mealy-mouthed apologies for it, have usernames based upon figures from Aryan folklore and WW2 Luftwaffe operations - we've got them all. You seem very civilised, by comparison. 

We also  have what I think is  a pretty laissez-faire approach to moderation on these issues. It doesn't help.

Archived