Wigan Athletic pre season

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

From jan onwards he was in the top 3 of performances. Dont know why he's getting so much hate. I think people on here have an opinion and stick by it no matter what. I was critical of him early season but he massively improved and if it wasn't for him we would have conceded double what we did concede. By far one of the better performers and that's in a defence basically on his own. Imagine what he will be like with half decent defenders with him. He will be his usual solid self and not have to try and clean up others mistakes. Id have him in all day. He's a bully and I love watching him kick strikers off the field. Dont make em like that anymore

I'd say it's because he's the best of a bad bunch. Being the best defender in the best defender in the worst defence doesn't seem much of an achievement. He is a leader, but I think a good side has several leaders in the dressing room and doesn't just leave it upto one man to rouse the rest of the players.

He's a great guy he will head the kitchen sink if it's thrown in the box. He's not someone I would ever question his commitment to the cause. But like alot of this squad I feel he's the type of player who will keep you in this division but won't take you much further.

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd say it's because he's the best of a bad bunch. Being the best defender in the best defender in the worst defence doesn't seem much of an achievement. He is a leader, but I think a good side has several leaders in the dressing room and doesn't just leave it upto one man to rouse the rest of the players.

He's a great guy he will head the kitchen sink if it's thrown in the box. He's not someone I would ever question his commitment to the cause. But like alot of this squad I feel he's the type of player who will keep you in this division but won't take you much further.

Hence Salford binned him off. l don't see him doing much leading tbh, loves a last ditch tackle and a header tho l can see that. This is me trying to work thru my prejudices btw. For the third time in Pidge's case.

14 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Are we genuinely thinking that Pidge is going to get in the starting XI??? Oh fuck, dreading the season starting if that's the case.

14 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Dont know why he's getting so much hate. I think people on here have an opinion and stick by it no matter what. I was critical of him early season but he massively improved and if it wasn't for him we would have conceded double what we did concede. By far one of the better performers and that's in a defence basically on his own. Imagine what he will be like with half decent defenders with him. 

I have to agree with @Chris15Arm - why does he get so much stick?

On Saturday Piergianni played in the middle of a back three comprising Jameson (poor) and McGahey (slow). Pidge constantly receiving the ball from the keeper as we adopted a ‘play out from the back’‘ approach. His distribution was decent and he defended well. He made a poor decision for the first Wigan goal in my opinion  but, that apart, he had a solid game.

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I have to agree with @Chris15Arm - why does he get so much stick?

On Saturday Piergianni played in the middle of a back three comprising Jameson (poor) and McGahey (slow). Pidge constantly receiving the ball from the keeper as we adopted a ‘play out from the back’‘ approach. His distribution was decent and he defended well. He made a poor decision for the first Wigan goal in my opinion  but, that apart, he had a solid game.

I too dont see an issue with Pidge, very capable defender at this level, just needs a bit of pace with him.

Better places to use whatever money, budget or free slots we have available.

14 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Hence Salford binned him off. l don't see him doing much leading tbh, loves a last ditch tackle and a header tho l can see that. This is me trying to work thru my prejudices btw. For the third time in Pidge's case.

Mostly has to do a last ditch tackle because he is in the wrong position in the first place...

31 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I too dont see an issue with Pidge, very capable defender at this level, just needs a bit of pace with him.

Better places to use whatever money, budget or free slots we have available.

Not a bad defender for Div 2 , there aren't many Richard Jobsons around today, He's very good in the air, very committed, doesn't mess around with the ball at the back , what you see with him is what you get...

57 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Mostly has to do a last ditch tackle because he is in the wrong position in the first place...

Because he's often covering for missing defenders.

53 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Not a bad defender for Div 2 , there aren't many Richard Jobsons around today, He's very good in the air, very committed, doesn't mess around with the ball at the back , what you see with him is what you get...

Fully agree.

Some peoples expectations are just unrealistic to be fair.

He's not going to be in the right place all the time, win every header, make every tackle and be the greatest leader on the pitch all the time.

He has flaws, he makes mistakes but who doesnt in league 2, if he didn't he'd probs be playing higher up the leagues.

But we all see players differently I suppose like i've said before but some on here are so adamant they are right its laughable.

1 hour ago, Frankies6 said:

I'm also in agreement with what you've said, it's a shame those around him don't have the same mindset, we'd concede far less imo.

18 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I'm also in agreement with what you've said, it's a shame those around him don't have the same mindset, we'd concede far less imo.

Every game I've seen Carl P play I don't think I've ever seen him lose out on the high ball, Personally I would like to see Carl and Harrison play in a 442. Ive never really been a big fan of 343, 533 , but everyone is different.  

23 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Well lets face it, any of the players from last season who came through with some credit were massively let down by a few players who were very very poor at the basics, keeping and passing the ball to your own players, if you have two or three players consistantly losing posession then the whole team and formation suffers.

Thats why we conceded so many last year.

Most teams will have that one defender who gives 100%, is good in the air but lacks pace, pidge is a threat at corners so with good service will score a few goals too.

Just partner him with pace. 

Up tops a worry for me, weve lost 30/ 35 goals in MaCelany and Rowe, so hopefully Hope can bag a few, DKD may develop even more, he's soft and can't tackle, but he's a forward so if he scores goals and contriutes thats fine, if they can keep Bam then thats good but I just dont see him being the type of player Curle wants.

Wing backs in Adams and Hart will put plenty balls in the box, just need people on the end of them.

Centre mid of Whelan and another, not too sure how this works just yet.

25 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

If hes going 3 at the back I would prefer 352 over 343

But I prefer 442, covers all bases and is much easier for the less adaptive players to play imo

Yes I'm old school in terms of formation especially at Div 2 level. I've stuck by the following for a good few years now and it's this KISS , I think football is being over complicated tbh and one of my bug bears is playing the ball out from the 6 yard box, which lets be honest we have div 2 defenders and midfielders, but this is how the FA wants league teams to play...

On paper 352 looks a great system and with the right player is very effective.

442 for me you cant go wrong, narrow the pitch out of posession, widen it in posession.

Easy really but I agree, pressure put on managers due to the new systems that seem to be taking over in this country by the premier league, fa etc.

Stick to what your good at, stick to basics and 442 should be good enough to get you out of this league with decent players, decent manager and the right attitude.

52 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Yes I'm old school in terms of formation especially at Div 2 level. I've stuck by the following for a good few years now and it's this KISS , I think football is being over complicated tbh and one of my bug bears is playing the ball out from the 6 yard box, which lets be honest we have div 2 defenders and midfielders, but this is how the FA wants league teams to play...

I think I'm winning a few over.😉

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I think I'm winning a few over.😉

I'd quite like to have this debate with you but sadly not possible.

It has to be right that kids start their footballing journey playing it out from the back for a number of reasons:

1. Skill should be encouraged

2. Kicking it long just helps the big lads who have grown quickest

3. Heading the ball is only going to come under increasing scrutiny

4. Asking young kids to kick it long enough to be meaningfully cleared just doesn't work

So, bearing in mind that only very talented footballers make it even as far as our standard, at what point does it become not worth playing it short and just focusing on clearing the lines?  There probably is a point where that is the case , though not al the time, but if the points above have any merit then coaches ae essentially telling good players to forget the way they have played all their lives.

Archived