Wigan Athletic pre season

14 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

You can’t miss what you never had and we never had any of that in his time here 

You wouldn't do with our managers playing him in a deeper role.

Many on here would have him back I reckon.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheltenham played 3 at the back all last season and went up

Cambridge played 4 at the back all last season and went up

Bolton played 3 at the back half the season, 4 half the season and went up

Newport played 3 at the back all last season and almost went up

Grimsby played 4 at the back almost all last season and went down

It's almost like the number of centre backs isn't some magic recipe success or failure, even at this level.

Having a formation that suits the players, and not chopping and changing every week is far more important.

7 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

People are saying Bahamboula is a luxury player we can't afford.

Gardner gives the ball away more and has failed at this level before.  That's a luxury we can't afford.

Yet played in a  division higher than us last season and being checked out by another above us...Having said that its unlikely they will sign him..https://the72.co.uk/241955/doncaster-rovers-take-dan-gardner-on-trial-after-wigan-athletic-exit/

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yet played in a  division higher than us last season and being checked out by another above us...Having said that its unlikely they will sign him..https://the72.co.uk/241955/doncaster-rovers-take-dan-gardner-on-trial-after-wigan-athletic-exit/

Wigan were in the drop zone until they dropped him, and their fans thought he was a big part of their problems.  

Nice of another ex-manager to give him a trial though.

19 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

There's always an odd mild drinker left ! 🦕

Ah, mild, that brings back memories. Down here Banks still do a decent mild if you can find it. Chesters was always very drinkable, fighting ale they used to call it ! Don't know if Chesters is still around?

14 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Wigan were in the drop zone until they dropped him, and their fans thought he was a big part of their problems.  

Nice of another ex-manager to give him a trial though.

So one player was responsible for them being in the drop zone and it took 36 appearances for them to realise that?

I always thought it was a team game.

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Ah, mild, that brings back memories. Down here Banks still do a decent mild if you can find it. Chesters was always very drinkable, fighting ale they used to call it ! Don't know if Chesters is still around?

Always loved a pint or many of mild. Grew up on Thwaites. Suppose it was fighting ale as your legs remained stable.

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Chesters mild was a belting pint and brewed in Ardwick and later in Salford I think…production of their mild ceased sometime in the late 80’s and the brewery closed completely in 99.

On 7/19/2021 at 6:05 PM, Chaddyexile84 said:

Many or you? 

let’s find out 

how do you do a poll? 

I don't know I wouldn't be against us having him back at the moment we are well short in midfield so he gets in more by default though than anything.

We have enough players to club together a defence and we have a goalkeeper. We are short in midfield and attack at the moment. I think we are 3-4 bodies light interms of putting together a team that will finish 18th in L2 again Let alone do anything more than that.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Chesters mild was a belting pint and brewed in Ardwick and later in Salford I think…production of their mild ceased sometime in the late 80’s and the brewery closed completely in 99.

i used to run a village beer festival until three years ago.  The only criteria was that the beer had to come from the county the village is in or a neighbouring county - so Essex,, Herts, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, largely because I used to have to rive round and pick it up.

A surprising number of the many micro-breweries did a mild.  Here's one example, barely ten minutes drive from where I live now:

Suffolk mild ale and Essex porter scoop top beer accolades | East Anglian Daily Times (eadt.co.uk)

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

That's sad news. And to think I'm always being told to stop banging on about the good old days!

22 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Cheltenham played 3 at the back all last season and went up

Cambridge played 4 at the back all last season and went up

Bolton played 3 at the back half the season, 4 half the season and went up

Newport played 3 at the back all last season and almost went up

Grimsby played 4 at the back almost all last season and went down

It's almost like the number of centre backs isn't some magic recipe success or failure, even at this level.

Having a formation that suits the players, and not chopping and changing every week is far more important.

I guess it just depends on how good they are.

On 7/19/2021 at 3:03 PM, Monty Burns said:

lt's more after we concede where it's noticable, that's when you need a rousing shouting at sometimes. He just stares into space and ten men walks back to the position where he should have been that would have stopped us conceding in the first place.

Big man need shout and wave arms more. Alright BP 👀

On 7/19/2021 at 4:22 PM, BP1960 said:

And how often have we seen keepers concede goals by playing out from the back, either trying to dribble past an opponent or robbed chasing a pass back to them?

How often do you see goals conceded after lumping it to nobody and giving possession constantly away? 🦕

😂😂😂

Nice try. Youre right about giving the ball away, but youve ruined it by attempting and failing to change what lve said and tryna belittle a standpoint l'm nowhere near based at. Youve also made it obvious that you mustnt have ever played the game any higher than junior school playtime, further lessening any future opining. Unlucky. Just to spell it out, because you clearly need it, l'm laughing at you. 

On 7/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, al_bro said:

I guess it just depends on how good they are.

I'm not against any particular formation, I've seen them all since the 1950s and if you have better players than the opposition most can work. However, I feel at the moment we don't have the 3 quick and quality centre backs for KCs system. That can change of course and one answer may be for Hart to play there similar to how Kyle Walker plays for England. You are then losing a good left full back so it's a case of what fits best.

McGahey would be better in the centre of a  3 IMO with Pidge and Hart wide of him.

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Pidge playing on the right ?

And people think he gets stick now !!

Needs must under the KC preferred formation, certainly I'd have him there rather than McGahey. If you watched most of his matches he has come out of the centre to cover the flanks.

Personally, I'd try new signing Clarke there though.

Archived