So, The Boycott...?

54 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I know some will always go because of  routine, or because they go with family. They accept it will be shit, but hey ho- that’s what we do. Fine. 

But there does appear to be section of fans who seem genuinely excited at our prospects. And even more bizarrely seem to wantonly ignore the facts in front of them. 

Which are. 

A thread bare squad with one quality player. 
A comfortably lower bottom half budget. (As says KC) 
An interfering SD who influences and at times tells the coach who can and can’t play. 

Boycott or not, surely no fair minded fan can be going to games thinking we’ve a got chance of anything above finishing in the bottom five? 

Reckon the Dog and Duck would stand a chance of finishing above the bottom five in this league... 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

In this league I believe we have a chance of finishing better than bottom 5.

I think we may have more than 1 decent player, but I can't confirm that yet as the season hasn't started.

Do I think we will go up, no not really, but I hope we do.

Do I accept that there is interference from Mo, yes, but Curle may handle that differently than previous managers due to his character.

Am I excited, yes because I have missed the football and the normality, I have worked throughout all the lockdowns and this feels like a bit of something to look forward to.

I have no idea how we will do as a team, if Curle will walk after a fall out with Mo or if the North Stand fiasco will continue.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are further problems off field.

But I'm going on saturday to have a good day, I have no issues with those who want to boycott or voice their concerns / opinions during the game within reason.

But please dont ridicule or make assumptions about the likes of me based on the fact I feel differently to you.

I hope one day we can all be sat in BP watching a good team on the up with a club to be proud of again, how we get that is out of my control.

Ridicule? 

You really need to stop taking counter opinion so personally. 

I didn’t question why you enjoying going to games. I didn’t question whether you should go. Each to their own. 

I’m challenging the view of where this baseless excitement for what chances are, because from my point of view it’s based on blind hope.  You answered in part, and we don’t agree. That’s life. 

The thing with the boycott is that some people who are boycotting will find other stuff to do on a Saturday and eventually they won’t be boycotting they will be lapsed fans. Some may still rock up for big cup games but that will be it. The club really needs to buck its ideas up on and off the pitch to stop that from happening. With 2 of the biggest clubs in the world just down the road there won’t be loads of kids supporting Oldham like there was in the late 80s / early 90s. 

Having moved 150+ miles during Lockdown 2 I’m not going to be going to many home games, but I’ve still got a ST as I thought I’d probably make enough home games to make it worthwhile, plus I like the seat so want to hang on to it as much as possible. That and I may end up moving back to the NW. 

If my ST was going to the usual £270 - £300 I wasn’t going to bother as I know I won’t make enough games to make it worthwhile. 

Oldham was something I shared with my Dad and it’s something I share with most of my mates. A boycott isn’t going to change that but some of my mates stopped going a few years ago, before AL. Eventually there will only be one of us left and it probably won’t be me.

I don’t blame AL for all of Oldham Athletic’s issues but despite being in charge for a while he isn’t making things better and is often making things worse. He occasionally shows signs of learning from his mistakes but then he or his brother or one of their underlings cocks up and the learning is undermined.

I suppose it has never been all that dull supporting Oldham and a brief look at the OAFC hashtag on Twitter in the last 36 hours shows that more. Lots of clubs have been in worse situations and have re-emerged. Something tells me, unless things change in the next year or 2, Oldham’s re-emergence will be too late for quite a few, including me.

After a couple of years boycotting, believe it or not I'm going, with a different approach of the football is a sideshow to the social, see how long I can suffer it for. I've got low expectations but you never know and if you can't even have an ounce of optimism 48 hours before the new season starts then it is probably time to give up, here's hoping. 

4 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Well can those boycotting the games go and start there own forum and fester away on there own. And leave the rest to talk about football.

And miss such intelligent and thought provoking debate?

54 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Dead simple. Go if you want. Boycott if you want. 

Yup.

There's no point anyone boycotting though if it's not significant numbers.  If we're still getting crowds of, as estimated, circa 2,000, that's not a significant boycott I don't think.  Who cares if we're still getting that many?  It's a number that suggests people aren't going due to poor team performance rather than any sort of message being sent to the owners.

Personally have never been in favour of the boycott - the owners don't seem to give a shiny one about whether the fans turn up or not.  God knows how they're funding the club, but a few hundred more deciding not to attend as part of the boycott isn't going to effect them that much, in my opinion.  I'd rather be loud and make our feelings known in and around the ground - that'll get more media coverage.

I'd like nothing more to see a Latics promotion which, in this terrible division, isn't beyond the realms as it shouldn't take much luck for the ducks to line up.  But that will then vindicate the way that owners have been running the club and we'll be stuck with them for longer.  Rock and a hard place.

11 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

People must make up their own minds As they are doing.

I found this thread a bit sad, to be honest. Because it reflects both sides of the argument?

The "life is too short" argument is one that plays both ways I feel ; you may have a long, long time without a club if you don't fight for it while you can.
The ‘life is too short’ argument is all about the short term so doesn’t really play both ways though does it?

For those who are boycotting, it won't take hold overnight. I wasn't among the very first boycotting at Blackpool, but a trickle turned into a flood for us. 

Time will tell as to whether that will be the case at Latics

7 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

It's a fair bet, that most of the people saying that they will boycott games, don't even go anyway.

That's a boycott in itself though, isn't it? I used to go to games with up to 12 mates; now it's just me. Not many of them are actively "boycotting", just drifted away and now have found other things to do on a Saturday...

6 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Well can those boycotting the games go and start there* own forum and fester away on there own. And leave the rest to talk about football.

If you're not happy with this board then you can start your own football only one. I don't know how long you've been around but it has never been purely football on here. I think the way the government are mishandling Covid is leading to such ridiculous comments. 

*their

56 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

It's a fair bet, that you are wrong.

All the ones that don’t go anyway, wouldn’t bother there arse mentioning anything to do with the the club at this present time.

28 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Can't wait to get on and see a Hope header nestled in the top corner along with Bam running the show

Saturday's are what you make em

I hope he does, looking forward to seeing him this season.. cracking signing, definitely a KC player. I don't think he's a 15/20 goals a season player but many in the side who can score goals.

Archived