So, The Boycott...?

51 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Can anyone name a club where a boycott has worked? Blackpool had the best supported boycott, but had their not been a court case it would have failed. Unfortunately we can only hope that either AL is learning from his mistakes, which may be happening, slowly slowly. Or he gets fed up and leaves. A boycott won't force him out. That and pressure in other areas may just make him dig his heels in deeper. The best action is to go to the games and make it loud and clear what we think of him and his brother. Embarrass them and make them have to explain themselves to the oppositions board.

The @BPAS podcast interviewing the lady from Blackpool trust (Christine I think, apologies if wrong) discusses their boycott and it's merits in very interesting detail and how it tied in with the court case.  She also talks about how it will be slow going at first, but this is not a reason to give up.  That's also been mentioned earlier on by the Blackpool fan on this thread.  If the boycott has little effect at the start this will no doubt be seen as some as proof it's pointless, but any effective action will need time to take hold.

My feeling on the boycott is that something needs to be done.  No proposed action would be perfect or have 100% backing of the fans, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try anything at all.

As for what needs to change for me to show the club is heading in the right direction...

1. Sacking of Mo. He had no credentials to be appointed in the first place, and has performed dreadfully in the role (obviously won't happen)

2. SLA agreed so hospitality can be sold to the benefit of the club again (I'm aware this is a very complicated issue due to ownership set up, but where there's a will there's a way)

3. A season of not treating staff, players or fans like absolute shit

I don't think any of that is unreasonable to expect of a normally run football club.  Be shocked if any of that happens though.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

How many do we think we'll take to Bradford the following week? The club could do with getting the tickets sorted. If we play well Saturday we could take 1500 maybe 2000?

If we had tickets then maybe 2000. At this rate itl be zero 

In the midst of my Latics depression I have been searching for some sort of good luck omen for the coming season to lift the gloom. Today Mrs S and I went to Coventry (UK City of Culture) and visited the Music Museum. As we entered, we were greeted by the sight of the piano used by Lieutenant Pigeon on ‘Mouldy Old Dough’. We explained what the song means to us, and the Curator insisted on taking our picture by the piano. Next year will be the 50th anniversary of it reaching No. I and the Museum plans to have a special display to commemorate it. This has got to be a positive sign!

http://www.covmm.co.uk/2016/mouldy-old-dough/

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not wanting to answer on ShireBlues behalf but as the North Stand is now open and Barry Owen now gone. A shitstorm free season plus a solid top half finish in the league without the need to sack the manager when we hit a bad run of form would represent massive progressive to me and should see alot of people myself included get back on side.

So stability off the pitch and us finishing mid table in the 4th division not exactly a difficult hurdle to get over is it.

Thanks. Good answer.  Quite simple really and SHOULD be easy to achieve. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

If we start badly, or when the inevitable poor spell comes. It’s nailed on that fans will let them know their feelings. 

Nah. Other than the Royton CC forum, I haven't heard anything other than the usual low-level grumbling at games. If we haven't done it by now, I'd say we're never going to do it.

As a fan-base, I'd say we've become far too accepting. Guaranteed that some fans will clap our players off the pitch if the day we get relegated ever comes..

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Nah. Other than the Royton CC forum, I haven't heard anything other than the usual low-level grumbling at games. If we haven't done it by now, I'd say we're never going to do it.

As a fan-base, I'd say we've become far too accepting. Guaranteed that some fans will clap our players off the pitch if the day we get relegated ever comes..

You haven’t been to a game in 16 months. . 😂 To be fair, I know where you’re coming from. I’ve often thought myself how low do we have to keep sinking before the tide turns. But as others have said, there is a large section of our fans who don’t care about the politics, they just watch the football and that’s it. Fair enough. 

Maybe it won’t turn at home. 

But away - without question- probably due to the day out/beer. 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Bore off pal. I’m very sorry that I’m not permanently miserable and angry… 

I don’t like much of yours but agree completely 

Im looking forward to Saturday and even to the feeling of despair as I walk back to my car 

Hope and Bam out with Covid is the cherry on the cake 🤣

1 hour ago, oafc 123 said:

You obviously don't give a fuck then...

That is just an absolutely ridiculous statement!

I and many others have said why they are going to games - I haven’t been since 2019, I’ve starved them of plenty of cash 

I used to go with my dad and my grandad, my dad has long ago lost interest and my grandad in recent years has gone on his own.

I have seen him once in nearly 2 years, his health has declined massively, he lives with my increasingly volatile gran who’s Alzheimer’s gets worse and worse added to the cancer and whilst he probably won’t see the season out he wants his Saturday afternoons back at the ground he was lucky enough to play on in his army days - does he not “give a fuck”?? 

im going because after 3 years away I miss football, the smell of the grass the emotion good or bad and have struggled with my own fragile mental health over the last 18 months I thought at £200 I’d go back and get back to actually mingling with humanity which I struggle with at the best of times and maybe buy my grandad a pie whilst I still can!!

Do I “not give a fuck”???

Stay away boycott if you want I have no issue with it but don’t dare accuse me or anyone else of whom you have no idea of the reasons we go of

“not giving a fuck”

13 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I and many others have said why they are going to games - I haven’t been since 2019, I’ve starved them of plenty of cash 

I used to go with my dad and my grandad, my dad has long ago lost interest and my grandad in recent years has gone on his own.

I have seen him once in nearly 2 years, his health has declined massively, he lives with my increasingly volatile gran who’s Alzheimer’s gets worse and worse added to the cancer and whilst he probably won’t see the season out he wants his Saturday afternoons back at the ground he was lucky enough to play on in his army days - does he not “give a fuck”?? 

im going because after 3 years away I miss football, the smell of the grass the emotion good or bad and have struggled with my own fragile mental health over the last 18 months I thought at £200 I’d go back and get back to actually mingling with humanity which I struggle with at the best of times and maybe buy my grandad a pie whilst I still can!!

Stay away boycott if you want I have no issue with it but don’t dare accuse me or anyone else of whom you have no idea of the reasons we go of

“not giving a fuck”

Enjoy saturday 

22 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

“not giving a fuck”

You have a good day mate and no need to make any excuses as to why you'll be doing what comes natural, hope you both enjoy the match and your pie's 👍

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

“not giving a fuck”

You are looking too much into what I said.  It was just a dig at kowenicki.

Your reply struck cord though.  I hope we win and you enjoy the game with your granddad.

And for the record, I'm not boycotting.  Latics mean the world to me.   

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

“not giving a fuck”

Enjoy the game with your grandad mate and best wishes to you in dealing with your mental well being. 

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

You haven’t been to a game in 16 months. . 😂 To be fair, I know where you’re coming from. I’ve often thought myself how low do we have to keep sinking before the tide turns. But as others have said, there is a large section of our fans who don’t care about the politics, they just watch the football and that’s it. Fair enough. 

Maybe it won’t turn at home. 

But away - without question- probably due to the day out/beer. 

Maybe the tide will turn if or when the away following numbers approach the home numbers.

If OAFC away days were an enjoyable (and noisey) experience, with large numbers for the size of the club. The media would start to take notice, and OAFC's plight would be highlighted.

To me, the Lemmies don't take criticism/negative publicity well. Therefore, if we ever we got this type of media coverage, it would get them out quicker.

Disclaimer: This is only a theory not a rigid belief, so please take it easy on any replies. I also apologise for any possible spelling or grammar mistakes in this post (pulls out couch to hide behind).

3 hours ago, Ex_pat said:

Maybe the tide will turn if or when the away following numbers approach the home numbers.

If OAFC away days were an enjoyable (and noisey) experience, with large numbers for the size of the club. The media would start to take notice, and OAFC's plight would be highlighted.

To me, the Lemmies don't take criticism/negative publicity well. Therefore, if we ever we got this type of media coverage, it would get them out quicker.

Disclaimer: This is only a theory not a rigid belief, so please take it easy on any replies. I also apologise for any possible spelling or grammar mistakes in this post (pulls out couch to hide behind).

The full stop after "size of the club" should be a comma. 

24 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Booorrrriiinnngggg. 

Just go and watch the match, enjoy it then come home. End of

If you're bored by chat about the boycott, why are you reading (and replying to) a thread about the boycott? 

11 hours ago, oafc 123 said:

You are looking too much into what I said.  It was just a dig at kowenicki.

Your reply struck cord though.  I hope we win and you enjoy the game with your granddad.

And for the record, I'm not boycotting.  Latics mean the world to me.   

Fair enough - it wasn't just you I was ranting at in the overall message 

13 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

“not giving a fuck”

Priorotise your mental health or you will end up like me. lf ever there was a motivator, that must be it 😂😂

Going, I echo the same thing that many have said in the fact that life is short and I’m going to take every opportunity I can to spend time with the old man at the footy.

Not relevant to the boycott - but I’ve just read about Curle’s aim of top ten and it got me thinking when was the last time we actually finished in the top ten? Must be nearly 15 years? 

Archived