So, The Boycott...?

30 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Simple fact is that most people do not stick to their principles. I`ve always strived to do so, even when it is difficult. Personally, I cannot fathom anyone wanting to give this regime one single penny of their hard-earned cash - and I never will again.

I agree - the boycott failed miserably - what a message it would have sent to have had a sub 1000 attendance first game of the season. Wouldn't really have been that much of a sacrifice (i.e. not to attend) to possibly achieve the greater good would it?

As much as I agree about our owners and the demise of our club, I really have to disagree about boycotting, I have really thought about it over the last year or so and I dont believe it would have a positive outcome.

I don't believe the two clowns would just pack up and go because fans conducted a mass boycott.

I believe there are alot of fans who would come and watch a good Oldham team that is going for promotions etc. Since 1976 I have seen small crowds, big crowds and decent crowds. The people are out there but they wont watch crap. These people are and have been boycotting without knowingly boycotting. We are pretty much back to our through thick and thin fans again, like in the mid to late 70s and early 80s.

The two clowns are useless in my opinion and the sooner they go the better, but we have to get the right people in, in the end the 3 amigos left the club in a mess, these two clowns have inherited a mess and they have no idea how to correct it and change the dynamic slide we are suffering.

For the last 3/4 thousand to walk away would just kill the club I believe, but I respect why people feel this way. 

I choose to support the club and team as much as I can, I don't support those two clowns and I want them out just the same as you.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s a difficult one to manage if everyone is honest in relation to fans not turning up to home games, especially off the back of the first game with fans in the grounds for 12 months. Without Covid playing it’s part I have no doubt the numbers would be down. I think only 2167 buying season tickets suggest the decline is still there, when tickets are at a massively reduced rate. When you look at the likes of Port Vale who have sold nearly 5000 ST priced at £320 it shows where this club should be.  

The premier league not starting until next weekend may have increased the attendance slightly but it’s about supporters individual choice. At no point have PTB said you must protest or boycott, it’s about putting a message out there in the press which highlights the concerns which is exactly what it has done. It is supporters individual choice and circumstances which will decide on whether they go. Plenty of people I know who have gone to the game yesterday want a change of ownership but either have young kids who want their younger years to be memories of supporting the team or those who go to games to spend time with their families. 

If it hasn’t worked then it will not be for a lack of trying! At the time when we announced the boycott very little push back was received from supporters but when the real test of questioning your loyalty to the club by attending games or not, it becomes real and very hard to separate. 

I do struggle to see why by not going or going to games suggests you love the club more or less than anyone else. When we spoke with Blackpool they said they hardest thing for their supporters was breaking the attachment from now to what could be left in the future. If you went to the game yesterday fair play it’s an attachment that grips us all, I hope for a day in the future where we can as a fan base move on and have the backing from an owner who really appreciates the fan base / customer base and sees the potential Oldham has. 💙

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Simple fact is that most people do not stick to their principles. I`ve always strived to do so, even when it is difficult. Personally, I cannot fathom anyone wanting to give this regime one single penny of their hard-earned cash - and I never will again.

I agree - the boycott failed miserably - what a message it would have sent to have had a sub 1000 attendance first game of the season. Wouldn't really have been that much of a sacrifice (i.e. not to attend) to possibly achieve the greater good would it?

You mustn't lose sight of the fact that the attendance yesterday was not a vote of confidence in the Lemsagams. Just look at the people on this thread who went and look at their reasons for going it was more about getting to do something normal after the far from normal 18 months that we have just experienced. If you did a straw poll of those who went yesterday the vast majority would want the Lemsagams out the fanbase is on the same page regarding this.

Having not renewed my season ticket by choice for the first time in 30 years this season me and my Dad are picking and choosing our games this season, I wouldn't be surprised if many are in the same boat. If yesterday's fair was anything to go by many will choose not to go more often than not. We might struggle to see over 3500 home fan's many times this season.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

You mustn't lose sight of the fact that the attendance yesterday was not a vote of confidence in the Lemsagams. Just look at the people on this thread who went and look at their reasons for going it was more about getting to do something normal after the far from normal 18 months that we have just experienced. If you did a straw poll of those who went yesterday the vast majority would want the Lemsagams out the fanbase is on the same page regarding this.

Having not renewed my season ticket by choice for the first time in 30 years this season me and my Dad are picking and choosing our games this season, I wouldn't be surprised if many are in the same boat. If yesterday's fair was anything to go by many will choose not to go more often than not. We might struggle to see over 3500 home fan's many times this season.

Far more eloquently put than my response so thank you 

46 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

It’s a difficult one to manage if everyone is honest in relation to fans not turning up to home games, especially off the back of the first game with fans in the grounds for 12 months. Without Covid playing it’s part I have no doubt the numbers would be down. I think only 2167 buying season tickets suggest the decline is still there, when tickets are at a massively reduced rate. When you look at the likes of Port Vale who have sold nearly 5000 ST priced at £320 it shows where this club should be.  

The premier league not starting until next weekend may have increased the attendance slightly but it’s about supporters individual choice. At no point have PTB said you must protest or boycott, it’s about putting a message out there in the press which highlights the concerns which is exactly what it has done. It is supporters individual choice and circumstances which will decide on whether they go. Plenty of people I know who have gone to the game yesterday want a change of ownership but either have young kids who want their younger years to be memories of supporting the team or those who go to games to spend time with their families. 

If it hasn’t worked then it will not be for a lack of trying! At the time when we announced the boycott very little push back was received from supporters but when the real test of questioning your loyalty to the club by attending games or not, it becomes real and very hard to separate. 

I do struggle to see why by not going or going to games suggests you love the club more or less than anyone else. When we spoke with Blackpool they said they hardest thing for their supporters was breaking the attachment from now to what could be left in the future. If you went to the game yesterday fair play it’s an attachment that grips us all, I hope for a day in the future where we can as a fan base move on and have the backing from an owner who really appreciates the fan base / customer base and sees the potential Oldham has. 💙

Adam if PTB are not fully on board with the Foundation's lottery/fundraising efforts would you (PTB) fancy fronting a Euromillions syndicate? (tenner a month 1/2 on entries 1/2 for charity or war chest).

Appreciate it's the longest of long shots and some won't approve but you never know!!!

50 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

I think only 2167 buying season tickets suggest the decline is still there, when tickets are at a massively reduced rate. When you look at the likes of Port Vale who have sold nearly 5000 ST priced at £320 it shows where this club should be.  

You are comparing apples with pears though- Port Vale-locally owned, invested a lot of money in a new manager and now a new team.

Does that sound anything like our situation? If it did I am sure we would be pulling in similar numbers.

Otherwise a good comparison-decrepit stadium in a very poor area and a lemon of a new stand.

I wonder if the new owners have completed that once new stand yet? 

1 minute ago, mick26 said:

Adam if PTB are not fully on board with the Foundation's lottery/fundraising efforts would you (PTB) fancy fronting a Euromillions syndicate? (tenner a month 1/2 on entries 1/2 for charity or war chest).

Appreciate it's the longest of long shots and some won't approve but you never know!!!

The plan at the minute is to see what the new Foundation board do regarding the contingency fund. Once we have an idea what the new basis of this will be, we can then make a decision as to where we go from there 👍

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

You are comparing apples with pears though- Port Vale-locally owned, invested a lot of money in a new manager and now a new team.

Does that sound anything like our situation? If it did I am sure we would be pulling in similar numbers.

Otherwise a good comparison-decrepit stadium in a very poor area and a lemon of a new stand.

I wonder if the new owners have completed that once new stand yet? 

In a very poor area - you have clearly been to Burslem then! 😂

Joking aside, the Port Vale model is a dream for a club like us at present isn’t it! The point I was making is that is what is achievable should fans be on board. The stand is finally finished instead of being an eye sore which will have obviously helped! 

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Sanctimonious post of the day award 

2 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Can we have one in the division above at these prices?

https://ibb.co/WBR0YKf

With regards the boycott, why not everyone meet half-way and have a boycott for just one game?

Do it for a month or so's time, so everyone can be aware of it, against one of the most unattractive teams, midweek even and promote it as a "protest game"...

22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

With regards the boycott, why not everyone meet half-way and have a boycott for just one game?

Do it for a month or so's time, so everyone can be aware of it, against one of the most unattractive teams, midweek even and promote it as a "protest game"...

After seeing lord Voldemort glance that header in, I think I'll go sit in the carrion crow next home game

On 8/4/2021 at 6:15 PM, League one forever said:

You’re conflating the understandable joy of returning to normal- with some new found love affair for our team. 

I give it till 15.03 before you look around and think- ffs. 

No, it was when Newport scored that I thought "ffs". Until then I thought we might well get a point here, a decent result under the circumstances. Still, we'll see how the next few games go eh ?

6 hours ago, adamoafc said:

The plan at the minute is to see what the new Foundation board do regarding the contingency fund. Once we have an idea what the new basis of this will be, we can then make a decision as to where we go from there 👍

I'm really hopeful good news is in the horizon. I do understand the vast majority of the concerns.

It's plain to see that PTB support would fuel inject the Lottery & ultimately the Contingency Fund. 

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Pretty lame stuff blaming ticketing arrangements for one away game, if your boycott was the right thing before Saturday then surely the basis for it still stands?

There is suggestion the same is being done for Bristol, I think the update is pretty clear to say it’s on hold pending further information becoming clear. Each to their own though, if that’s your opinion fair enough! 👍

I`m man enough to apologise if my last post came across as sanctimonious - so apologies. I suppose what I am saying is that throughout this debacle not one collective body has had an "ultimate aim" and had the drive and tenacity to see it through. If a strategy is ultimately the correct one, you have to have the will and tenacity to see it through - not run to the tune of those who "shout loudest" when they don't agree.  We had the farce from the old Trust over the "we support - erm... no we don't"  the boycotting of the televised game a couple of seasons ago. Now, PTB have done a very swift turn-around after just one game (albeit explaining their reasons in a thoughtful manner). Like many others, my support for Latics started with my dad and my uncles taking me as a 4 year old on the old Rochdale Road terrace and, emotionally, Latics has been a huge part of my life. However, in my opinion, it's a battle/war we are involved in here and battle tactics are long overdue. When you are fighting a battle/war you HAVE to fight as one disciplined unit or you will fail - no doubt. So, all I was trying to get across is that if everyone could forget about their own self-interest, just for a little while, and support a boycott it would be the single strongest message ever sent out. Surely, no one could disagree that a sub 1000 crowd on Saturday would have sent absolute shockwaves to the very top of the hierarchy?

That is the power of an effective and unified boycott. I realise now, it will never happen...until it's too late.

Archived