PTB/Trust meeting with Lemsagam.

I find it really hard to believe there wouldn't be people wanting to step in. We do ourselves a disservice at times.

We all know we haven't been run right for decades. I don't think we have ever made best use of sponsorship opportunities.  Its a huge town with so many potential fans. Granted we have two huge clubs on our doorstep.  Things in our favour:

Long history

Potential fanbase

Great location

Clearly it needs to be all in - ie buying the club, land etc. 

But I'm confident people would be interested. 

We just need to get to that stage.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/1/2021 at 4:03 PM, Andy b said:

I’d like to think our fans would protest and boycott like Blackpool did if we were top. However in the context of AL’s current rating amongst fans we clearly wouldn’t. 

Where is this rating you mention? I agree we have a lot of older supporters who may well be unaware/put blinkers on for the social aspect.

In a way thats so damning for the future and the way they have treated the Athleticos shows there is no long term plan. The future "customers" for maybe 70 years treated appalling. 

27 minutes ago, Gary_P said:

I find it really hard to believe there wouldn't be people wanting to step in. We do ourselves a disservice at times.

We all know we haven't been run right for decades. I don't think we have ever made best use of sponsorship opportunities.  Its a huge town with so many potential fans. Granted we have two huge clubs on our doorstep.  Things in our favour:

Long history

Potential fanbase

Great location

Where are they then Gary? Plenty of the much coveted media coverage in the past few weeks and yet not heard so much as a whisper about someone putting their name forward.

28 minutes ago, Gary_P said:

Long history

Potential fanbase

Great location

We have a population of over 463300 combined with Oldham and Tameside, Oldham alone has a population of over 237000 people.

We are attracting less than 1% at present of that potential.

I know we have the two big boys down the road but theres still scope for potential fans if things could be made appealing.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

I'm hungry for it! (although saddened that Kidderminster have changed caterers)

Manna from heaven for the groundhoppers and hipsters. Not sure if your bread and butter Tic is so hungry to lock horns with your Maidenheads and Wokings.

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Where are they then Gary? Plenty of the much coveted media coverage in the past few weeks and yet not heard so much as a whisper about someone putting their name forward.

They really aren't going to push their name in the media though are they. Why would they if it doesn't come off. Continuing as we are is pointless. Continue pushing, i think we could be suprised how much interest there could be.  Whats the alternative?

48 minutes ago, Gary_P said:

I find it really hard to believe there wouldn't be people wanting to step in.

TTA were actively trying to sell the club (not the stand or land) for years and then some. There's scant evidence anyone wanted us. 

48 minutes ago, Gary_P said:

Things in our favour:

Long history

Potential fanbase

Great location

History is great... but for 20+ years we've not been making any. We are a long, long way from the days of "favourite other team" and the like. I met a guy on a course last week who was mid-20s and had basically no idea who Oldham were. He was a United fan (obviously- the course was in south London) and plenty knowledgeable about the PL and such. Just didn't have a clue about Latics. Those days are just so far gone.

Potential is one thing, application is another. No sensible businessperson is buying a club like Latics on potential. We've had that potential for the same 20+ years and haemorrhaged fans. We can certainly stop the rot and balance things, we can be a solid L1 team maybe. But the money doesn't start there, and the chance of Latics making the Championship are miniscule when it comes to someone looking to take a calculated risk and make money.

7 minutes ago, Gary_P said:

They really aren't going to push their name in the media though are they. Why would they if it doesn't come off. Continuing as we are is pointless. Continue pushing, i think we could be suprised how much interest there could be.  Whats the alternative?

It took Corney best part of 10 years to offload it to this lad. I would have expected someone to have at least publicly expressed an interest in it by now.

Just now, Ackey said:

TTA were actively trying to sell the club (not the stand or land) for years and then some. There's scant evidence anyone wanted us. 

History is great... but for 20+ years we've not been making any. We are a long, long way from the days of "favourite other team" and the like. I met a guy on a course last week who was mid-20s and had basically no idea who Oldham were. He was a United fan (obviously- the course was in south London) and plenty knowledgeable about the PL and such. Just didn't have a clue about Latics. Those days are just so far gone.

Potential is one thing, application is another. No sensible businessperson is buying a club like Latics on potential. We've had that potential for the same 20+ years and haemorrhaged fans. We can certainly stop the rot and balance things, we can be a solid L1 team maybe. But the money doesn't start there, and the chance of Latics making the Championship are miniscule when it comes to someone looking to take a calculated risk and make money.

Sorry i do not agree with that. 

There are very real reasons we don't make money. Some won't resolve it overnight but will add to it.

Buying tickets and the confidence is zero

Lack of commercial awareness - we pass one of the busiest motorways and cities in the country

Our own food and drink offerings are terrible- even at League 2

Why when we offer freebie tickets not follow up with some more offers to get the kids interested? Ie 50% off the next 3 games, 25% off the next 6. Discount shirts for those to get people wanting to support the club.

The whole commercial aspect is terrible. And thats from someone worldy knowledged in Business.

There are opportunities that we don't take

36 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

This frustrates me. I know for a fact there are people interested in buying the club. They could make life much more uncomfortable for the Lemsagam bros by coming out and publicly declaring an interest in buying the club, but they just sit remaining silent...

1 hour ago, Gary_P said:

Where is this rating you mention? I agree we have a lot of older supporters who may well be unaware/put blinkers on for the social aspect.

In a way thats so damning for the future and the way they have treated the Athleticos shows there is no long term plan. The future "customers" for maybe 70 years treated appalling. 

AL isn’t universally seen as a major problem. No fan in their right mind backs him but I don’t believe the level of animosity towards him is that the level needed. Yet.

2 minutes ago, Andy b said:

AL isn’t universally seen as a major problem. No fan in their right mind backs him but I don’t believe the level of animosity towards him is that the level needed. Yet.

Really? What will it take?

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

This frustrates me. I know for a fact there are people interested in buying the club. They could make life much more uncomfortable for the Lemsagam bros by coming out and publicly declaring an interest in buying the club, but they just sit remaining silent...

Do you see them as credible to provide the very significant funds needed?

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Indeed Pat, I think it would be tremendously helpful if they came forward and showed some intent.

21 hours ago, kowenicki said:

What are these legal reasons regarding Scholes and the JR stand he can't talk about?

Scholes could have used interference as an excuse to get out when he found out managing a L1 team was harder than he thought, but he could bring a string of ex managers and players to court to back him up. AL only has Mo to back him up.

Barry Owen said that AL wanted to fund a legal case regarding the ownership of the JR stand, but had changed his mind and was no longer willing to fund it.

He's also talking about legal action against the former owner. What's holding that up after all this time?

57 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

49 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Indeed Pat, I think it would be tremendously helpful if they came forward and showed some intent.

You both keep trotting this out- and yet I can’t think of one example in the history of the football where potential buyers publicise early talks or feelers to the incumbent owner. 

Hi all Latics fans. 

Im X - I recently held preliminary discussions about buying the club. 

Last week I texted a source at the club to get a price from the owner. He talked to the owner and I was given a figure.  This price vastly over values the badge and so I counter offered for a quarter of what he asked. He turned it down, and until he lowers this figure I won’t be taking discussion further.

Even If by some miracle someone was naive enough to put that or similar into public domain- what does that get us? What does it achieve? 

Nothing. 

Never has or will happen. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Sit silent as we continue to fall, saves them money. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You both keep trotting this out- and yet I can’t think of one example in the history of the football where potential buyers publicise early talks or feelers to the incumbent owner. 

Hi all Latics fans. 

Im X - I recently held preliminary discussions about buying the club. 

Last week I texted a source at the club to get a price from the owner. He talked to the owner and I was given a figure.  This price vastly over values the badge and so I counter offered for a quarter of what he asked. He turned it down, and until he lowers this figure I won’t be taking discussion further.

Even If by some miracle someone was naive enough to put that or similar into public domain- what does that get us? What does it achieve? 

Nothing. 

Never has or will happen. 

From the potential buyers pov it achieves nothing, in fact it will probably burn bridges.  That's why it won't happen.

But from a fan's pov it proves they are lying.

3 hours ago, Gary_P said:

Long history

Potential fanbase

Great location

Defo good potential, the club having had 20 years of finishing in bottom half is still prob a league 1 club on fan base alone atm. Could easy match Rotherham/Peterborough/Luton but not owning all the ground puts us at a huge disadvantage. Hopefully the same pressure on blitz will help us align this in the future 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

If this is the case I’d personally like to hear about it and prob a lot of others. I want ALMO out but not at the expense of a worse case scenario. A few mentioning there are people interested which is good but we could do with knowing if the price is being set at a ridiculous level 

Archived