Any ideas what this means

57 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Kids read this, are they allowed to swear in pubs?

That would be up to the parent who allowed them in a pub unsupervised. The same parent who allowed them on this forum unsupervised. The internet, collectively and entirely, not just this forum, is a very dangerous and difficult place to be and is certainly not safe for children without precautions and protections. 

I said it above - it's not the words that are the problem, it's their use. 

I can say "I feel like a right twat today" about myself and that word is innocuous, it's just some noise that we've associated a meaning to. I can also say "PersonA is a twat" and that person can read it. That person then experiences things as a result of my behaviour, and that's changed my word - it is no longer just a noise, it now has purpose. I have used it as a weapon. In those instances, as always, the word changes from being swearing to hate speech or an attack. At that point, quite simply, it should be reported and it will be moderated accordingly.

It's that simple really.   

3 minutes ago, Ackey said:

It's that simple really.   

I should add, this forum is now just shy of 15 years old (good lord time flies!) and the rules on swearing and hate speech have remained the same throughout that 15 years. One has always been banned and the other has always been OK.

Nothing has changed, and if the last 15 years are anything to go by then nothing will.

Also: penis. fanny. wazzers. 

58 minutes ago, Ackey said:

I can say "I feel like a right twat today" about myself and that word is innocuous, it's just some noise that we've associated a meaning to. I can also say "PersonA is a twat" and that person can read it. That person then experiences things as a result of my behaviour, and that's changed my word - it is no longer just a noise, it now has purpose. I have used it as a weapon. In those instances, as always, the word changes from being swearing to hate speech or an attack. At that point, quite simply, it should be reported and it will be moderated accordingly.

. . . which reminds me of . . . 

Archived