Club statement from Abdallah its everyone elses fault but his.

Speaking as an outsider, I found that fascinating. 

It was a good tactic to begin by acknowledging past failings. But having set out a list of examples of poor judgement and poor decision making, to simply assure you that the latest set of decisions and appointments leave you in a good place doesn't wash for me. The current evidence belies it.

I thought the section about the North Stand was a bit strange. Making a moral case for a change in the current arrangements is fine, I suppose, but if I read that correctly he want to re-negotiate whilst holding no cards. Apologies if I have misunderstood that.

I agree with others that the comments about racism were at best misjudged and at worst an attempt to deflect blame. The threat to play games behind closed doors is bluster, I think, and not practical. I can't see other clubs being supportive, the EFL certainly won't be and I can't  imagine the police would be keen on him turning an Oldham Athletic security issue inside the stadium into a potential public order problem outside it. 

My final point is that the very fact of this statement reinforces the power of protest. Would you have got it without it? 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Speaking as an outsider, I found that fascinating. 

It was a good tactic to begin by acknowledging past failings. But having set out a list of examples of poor judgement and poor decision making, to simply assure you that the latest set of decisions and appointments leave you in a good place doesn't wash for me. The current evidence belies it.

I thought the section about the North Stand was a bit strange. Making a moral case for a change in the current arrangements is fine, I suppose, but if I read that correctly he want to re-negotiate whilst holding no cards. Apologies if I have misunderstood that.

I agree with others that the comments about racism were at best misjudged and at worst an attempt to deflect blame. The threat to play games behind closed doors is bluster, I think, and not practical. I can't see other clubs being supportive, the EFL certainly won't be and I can't  imagine the police would be keen on him turning an Oldham Athletic security issue inside the stadium into a potential public order problem outside it. 

My final point is that the very fact of this statement reinforces the power of protest. Would you have got it without it? 

Good points thanks @basilrobbie, in fact I was hoping you would give your thoughts on the owner's statement. Different situation I know, but do you see any parallels between Lemsagam's reaction to the protests as expressed in his open letter, and the way in which the Oystons responded to demands for them to go?

I agree with your final point, and think that AL is a very worried man, albeit it may be a long time yet before we get to the end game.

PS As others have said, I don't doubt that AL (and Mo) have been racially abused, which is despicable, and I hope the perpetrators are investigated and brought to book. At the same time the racists are a minority and it will not help matters at all if he spreads a message, deliberately or not, that the demand for him and his brother to go is fuelled by racism. It absolutely is not.

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Good points thanks @basilrobbie, in fact I was hoping you would give your thoughts on the owner's statement. Different situation I know, but do you see any parallels between Lemsagam's reaction to the protests as expressed in his open letter, and the way in which the Oystons responded to demands for them to go?

I agree with your final point, and think that AL is a very worried man, albeit it may be a long time yet before we get to the end game.

PS As others have said, I don't doubt that AL (and Mo) have been racially abused, which is despicable, and I hope the perpetrators are investigated and brought to book. At the same time the racists are a minority and it will not help matters at all if he spreads a message, deliberately or not, that the demand for him and his brother to go is fuelled by racism. It absolutely is not.

Agree with your final paragragh 100%

The vast majority of our fans want him out, the club with new owners blah blah blah..... but as long as we have a tiny selection of braindead, uneducated balloons who tarnish the good fans name, then the media & AlMo will focus on the actions of the worst case scenario sadly.

Take the upcoming Rochdale game, if we take 3000, there will be a minority in that who will be intent on causing trouble, fighting home fans, Police, Stewards etc and more than likely being totally OTT with their aggression towards the owners and any fans who don't play along.

Cheers Worcester.

I don't see as many parallels as you might think, although there are some - the Oystons made very few attempts to engage and as best I can recall never accepted that any mistakes had been made. And of course at our club although under-investment was also an issue, the back story was very different to yours. They did work hard to divide and rule, singled out prominent fans for special attention and generally didn't respond well to the pressure. So some similarities are there, but it's not an exact match, and I'd never pretend otherwise. Your situation is unique to you, and from outside it looks a tricky one.

You make a good point about racial abuse - we all know that when some people lash out in anger it is the first weapon they reach for. But it makes all the stuff that Matt (?) has been saying about how the Foundation has to behave and engage all the more relevant. Everybody who resorts to that kind of response might feel good for two minutes, but by doing so they hand the owner a free pass and make the job of the organised groups harder. 

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Meanwhile Congo lose 3-1 and Bahamboula doesn't come off the bench. What a waste of time for him and the club.

Except he got 11 minutes after coming on in the 87th minute and there being 8 minutes of injury time.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/qualifiers/caf/match-center/400198016

10 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

Nah another £50k on the price come January 

We probably lose 50k on his valuation because he will only have 6 months left on his deal. And with the greatest of respect, this is Congo we are talking about, not Brazil. I reckon if I was Congolese, I'd have a chance of playing for their national team...

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

We probably lose 50k on his valuation because he will only have 6 months left on his deal. And with the greatest of respect, this is Congo we are talking about, not Brazil. I reckon if I was Congolese, I'd have a chance of playing for their national team...

It's a Congo team Bahamboula can't get in though making it a mockery of wasted journeys and missing club games. Leutwiler is another example of this folly.

These countries could find local players to sit on the subs bench without bringing them in from abroad. 

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I caught the end of that he is rattled big time.

Simon Jordan a man who lost £70million on crystal Palace and took them to administration (look what happened to them after he left) is siding with the owner.

I don’t think SJ is siding with the owner as he previously seemed to be. He seemed a lot more informed and sympathetic to the fans cause this morning. 

Sinclair seemed to fall for his interview answers and open letter though. 

1 minute ago, super_blue said:

No. He said they don’t and won’t condone illegal activity. (Pitch invasion)  He certainly didn’t call off all protests. 

Fair enough, it sounded like Jim White was forcing him into calling off protests

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Fair enough, it sounded like Jim White was forcing him into calling off protests

Yeh Jim white was pushing and Matt sounded like a true politician and didn’t commit to anything direct and specific. Understandable he can’t condone the pitch stuff as he now sits on the foundation board.

100% if he wasn’t on the board and just on the podcast he’d say crack on! 

11 minutes ago, super_blue said:

I don’t think SJ is siding with the owner as he previously seemed to be. He seemed a lot more informed and sympathetic to the fans cause this morning. 

Sinclair seemed to fall for his interview answers and open letter though. 

Sinclair, the former Latics junior player?

Might be wrong, but  if its him I thought he was also a former youth team coach here under AL?

Credit when its due

Abdallah is getting some good advice

> open letter to fans with admission of mistakes

> interview on @talkSPORT stating he’s trying and willingness to communicate

He said he aint selling 

He’s flushing out potential buyers

14 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Credit when its due

He said he aint selling 

He can still get to fuck for me.

17 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Credit when its due

He said he aint selling 

On the interview his stand on selling wasn’t as strong as the letter. He said ‘every buisness is for sale’ but then proceeded to say who would want it and I’m sure he’ll have an inflated price to get back his losses. 

Archived