5 hours ago, bluehobbit said:

Curle was talking pre match about being imaginative. So why did we wait until 2-0 to bring on another forward and then when we did stick with one up front?

Why not try Hope and Dearnly, Stick Bam up front? Bettache he at least looks like he can carry the ball? At no point did we see anything imaginative just the same old dross of a team setup to complete a fixture not win in. Last weekend there was some fight and we were mostly solid bar the odd bit of luck. We didn't have much of that this time out.

I've said on the other thread. Harrogate in the first half were a poor a team as you will see. Yet one decent touch outside the area after some hold up play and they score, because our defense didn't see any danger in Harrison being dragged out wide. 

Hard to see where wins are coming from. We are just devoid of quality. Out of the squad maybe 5 or 6 are league level.

Leutwiler - Underwhelmed so far. 

Pidge - OK as a defender but not great with the ball at his feet, terrible playing short to him he doesn't have the quality to pick passes

McGahey - Looked decent at Dale but struggled when people ran at him v Harrogate. Dived in a bit too much but I think he will do over the course of a season.

Stobbs reminds me of Joe Colbeck looks quick, hugs the line, but can't beat a man or provide any quality crosses -  doesn't look league level

Bahamboula - Is a good lower league player but that's it. He's not Messi but he took 3 players on and provided what should have been a goal, and goal's change games. We have to take some chances and he needs some help from others.  

Hope - Is lost - can't so anything up front on his own. It's pointless persisting with it. Something needs to change here. Either we try him with a partner or we do something drastic and shove someone else up top.  

Fage - Another one that I've never been convinced by - should only play as a winger for me as he isn't reliable or strong enough as a league defender

Bowden - No idea why we signed him solid sideways and backwards player offers little else. Just a clone of Whelan. We are crying out for forwards surely there were some available on loan who would do a job? either give us some extra pace or what we really need some decent hold up play. We can't create pressure on defenses to create chances. 

Whelan - Not in the game enough - i think its a lack of quality rather than effort.

Davis - Can we not play him as part of front two in attack rather than trying to play him as some number 10? 

Dearnly - Doesn't look right does he? - he was quick - now he looks scared to run full throttle looked like he was hobbling at times to me. 

Diarra put his foot in a few times but again he can't do anything going forwards. 

Hart - Has looked at times OK but he's not a wing back he's never sure when to go forwards or backwards. 

Jameson - Lottery winner - Just a big lad near hopeless with the ball 

Sheehan - Shouldn't play anymore he can't do it. Far too slow. 

Clarke - Has done  OK at full back but some his passing was so poor on Saturday. Either couldn't be bothered or genuinely careless

Adams and Cisse might give us something more in midfield in terms of tackling and physicality even tho I haven't been blow away by Cisse so far. 

I gave Curle a bit of a blast after an hour cause i'm sick to death of us going through the motions for 60 minutes conceding x amount of goals and that being it. Where is the effort? Why are not trying to press quickly at least and aggressively and working hard to keep tight as a unit? Work hard and close down? We don't even do that well. 

Sick of it at the minute. 

Agree with most of that, except Adams may make a difference. I haven't seen any evidence that he would. He has been poor and nothing like the player we saw at Bury.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, bluehobbit said:

Stobbs reminds me of Joe Colbeck looks quick, hugs the line, but can't beat a man or provide any quality crosses -  doesn't look league level

Stobbs looks a decent player to me and will get better as he gains match fitness. 

12 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Stobbs looks a decent player to me and will get better as he gains match fitness. 

I'm hopeful too but his shooting is as diabolical as the rest of the squad.

The number of times we blast it way over the bar is incredible, that's when we actually manage to get a shot off.

There's very little composure in any of our players when facing goal, most seem to think that if you hit it as hard as you can one will go in sooner or later.

There doesn't appear to be any plan to shoot in our player's thought processes, which surely is a basic principle of the game.

20 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I'm hopeful too but his shooting is as diabolical as the rest of the squad.

The number of times we blast it way over the bar is incredible, that's when we actually manage to get a shot off.

There's very little composure in any of our players when facing goal, most seem to think that if you hit it as hard as you can one will go in sooner or later.

There doesn't appear to be any plan to shoot in our player's thought processes, which surely is a basic principle of the game.

This has baffled me all season - our inability or reluctance to take a shot. It is compounded by so many of the team mishitting passes and clearances.

Definitely a confidence issue with a large majority of the team.

40 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I think we should wait for him to complete a pass, keep a cross in play or get a shot on target before we start talking about a decent player.  

He did hit an early cross in the first half against Leeds which Da Silva headed bringing a save from their goalie. He does seem to hit them early, which is great if your forwards are on the front foot, so perhaps if he slowed down a bit and took his man on it would give our "strike force" time to get in position, alongside their markers !!  🥺

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I think we should wait for him to complete a pass, keep a cross in play or get a shot on target before we start talking about a decent player.  

A tad harsh on his performances to date.

I have seen two or three times this season - he put in two promising performances against Tranmere and Bradford before picking up his injury at Bristol Rovers.

In my opinion he will come good as he gets his match fitness back. 

Time will tell I suppose.

52 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

A tad harsh on his performances to date.

I have seen two or three times this season - he put in two promising performances against Tranmere and Bradford before picking up his injury at Bristol Rovers.

In my opinion he will come good as he gets his match fitness back. 

Time will tell I suppose.

He runs around a lot, gets involved, makes himself available, pushes forward past defenders and seems to have a good attitude.  It's definitely not all bad.

It doesn't change that he's had zero end product so far, and that has to change to be called decent in my book.

Someone compared him to Colbeck, I think that's pretty much spot on so far.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, BP1960 said:

The folly of 2 year and even longer contracts for managers, the number of pay offs to failures at all clubs must be in the billions.

With our record he should have been given a 6 month contract with a rolling option.

The problem is, with our management merry-go-round and openly diabolical Ownership, no manager with any sense of dignity or common sense is going to take a job here without a decent financially beneficial contract being agreed. You offer 6 months after our recent record and you may as well tell the manager not to worry about how we perform, your just a seat warmer.

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

he is on a 2 year contract - they probably can’t afford to sack him 

It'll all depend on the break clauses in his deal, I can't imagine he will be on a full 2 year pay up if he leaves. I know of managers who have had two year deals who have settlements of 4 months in their contracts if they get binned...

Just now, Lee Sinnott2 said:

It'll all depend on the break clauses in his deal, I can't imagine he will be on a full 2 year pay up if he leaves. I know of managers who have had two year deals who have settlements of 4 months in their contracts if they get binned...

Agree but it took him a while to sign - surely that was him getting the best deal possible?

I think he should go btw 

We've tightened up at the back. Actually have a midfield. Creating (if not scoring, admittedly) lots of chances. Improving generally, in spite of the behind-the-scenes car crash. But yeah, let's sack him..

Even by it's own standards, this place has gone fucking bonkers this weekend...

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We've tightened up at the back. Actually have a midfield. Creating (if not scoring, admittedly) lots of chances. Improving generally, in spite of the behind-the-scenes car crash. But yeah, let's sack him..

We are 91st in the football league...

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Depends who you ask. Fans of Derby, Scunthorpe, Carlisle and United fans would all beg to differ...

If you're judging Curle because we're 91st in the football league, then it's only Scunthorpe who have a strong argument to put forward on that front..

Just now, JoeP said:

If you're judging Curle because we're 91st in the football league, then it's only Scunthorpe who have a strong argument to put forward on that front..

I'm judging Curle because he told us to judge him on what goes on on the pitch and this season, and the back end of last season (can't believe we even gave him a new contract), has been shambolic from him and the players...

Get some of the ridiculous amount of injuries back in action and then see where we are, which I imagine will be between 15th and 20th, which is about right for our 🐶💩 squad.

Although sacking Curle now would at least share the blushes of the #automaticpromotionlads.

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

Bang on Joe. Some generally sensible posters have lost the plot

Archived