Jump to content

MATCH: vs Walsall (H) 19/10/21


Recommended Posts

Another (winnable) game this evening.

 

I presume that our captain and central defender Piergianni will miss out due to accumulation of 5 yellow cards.

 

Jameson to replace him (😮)

McGahey to take the armband 

Dearnley and Bahamboula to play up front

Larger than actual attendance to be reported…

 

And a few stats from the ‘fishul:

 

The Saddlers’ Last Six: W2 D2 L2

  1. Leyton Orient 0-0 Walsall
  2. Walsall 2-1 Salford City
  3. Northampton Town 1-1 Walsall (EFL Trophy – Walsall won on pens)
  4. Exeter City 2-2 Walsall
  5. Walsall 1-2 Bristol Rovers
  6. Newport County 2-1 Walsall

Head-to-Head

Meetings: 62

Latics wins: 23
Walsall wins: 24
Draws: 15

Scored - 84
Conceded - 95

 

I’ll be watching on iFollow - let’s hope that we continue to build on the improvements shown recently 🙏 

 

 

 

Edited by TheBigDog
add some stats
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a winnable game and one that I expect a manager of Curle's experience to find a way to win (pretty or not) against a relatively inexperienced manager like Matt Taylor.  Any win with a 5th clean sheet in 6 would be ideal.

 

However my Exeter-supporting brother was impressed with Walsall in the match a few weeks ago, saying that they were the better team on the day despite being a lot lower in the league.  George Miller was a threat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

It's a winnable game and one that I expect a manager of Curle's experience to find a way to win (pretty or not) against a relatively inexperienced manager like Matt Taylor.  Any win with a 5th clean sheet in 6 would be ideal.

 

However my Exeter-supporting brother was impressed with Walsall in the match a few weeks ago, saying that they were the better team on the day despite being a lot lower in the league.  George Miller was a threat.

And they have just signed Otis Khan as a free agent whose career has stalled after an impressive spell with Yeovil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, astottie said:

And they have just signed Otis Khan as a free agent whose career has stalled after an impressive spell with Yeovil.

He played for Mansfield when they thumped us 6-1.

 

He also got hauled off at half time for Newport when we beat them 5-0.

 

Always seem to be plenty of goals either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tonight’s referee is Ross Joyce, if that name is familiar he has earnt himself a reputation in Oldham games, most notably when we lost at home to Charlton 3-4 in one of Shez’s last home games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Groundsmans last game according to his Twitter, joining the former head at Blackpool 

 

anyone know how our latest recruitment drive is going? 

 

He should be given a medal for the great work he's done with the pitch, but I guess at this club no one will even see him leave through the doors.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Tonight’s referee is Ross Joyce, if that name is familiar he has earnt himself a reputation in Oldham games, most notably when we lost at home to Charlton 3-4 in one of Shez’s last home games. 

Was that the incompetent oaf who reffed us at Bradford a few years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Matt changed the title to MATCH: vs Walsall (H) 19/10/21
  • Matt featured this topic
1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Was that the incompetent oaf who reffed us at Bradford a few years ago. 

Quite possibly, we’ve had a few incompetent refs at Bradford over the years. Joyce did ref a game where he gave Bradford a soft penalty and refused us a stonewall penalty, plus gave us 5 bookings to their 0. It was August bank holiday weekend 2016.

 

But we’ve also had Ben Toner have a shocker at Bradford and someone else, I think Stockbridge, wander around trying to find the right player to book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Quite possibly, we’ve had a few incompetent refs at Bradford over the years. Joyce did ref a game where he gave Bradford a soft penalty and refused us a stonewall penalty, plus gave us 5 bookings to their 0. It was August bank holiday weekend 2016.

 

But we’ve also had Ben Toner have a shocker at Bradford and someone else, I think Stockbridge, wander around trying to find the right player to book.

The Stocksbridge fiasco was legendary, takes a certain type be that bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Bradford away game he booked 8 of our players and sent one off for 2 bookings.  When we played Charlton I walked into Joe Royle stand and he was warming up with his linesmen. He was only 10 yards from me and I shouted to him "hope you have a better game than last time". He and his assistants came across to me and he said " I may have made a mistake with the penalty appeal at Bradford". One of his liners said " I was lining that match but was on the other side so don't blame me."  He sent Fane off in the Charlton game and it probably sent us down at the end of the day. Worst ref I have ever seen in football league. We had better in Oldham Am League.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I think Stockbridge, wander around trying to find the right player to book.

 

24 minutes ago, disjointed said:

The Stocksbridge fiasco was legendary, takes a certain type be that bad. 

That was Chris Sarginson

 

Wasn't Ross Joyce the muppet who denied us a penalty against Tranmere when one of their defenders "rose like a salmon" to palm the ball away in full view of the ref and linesman

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Matt unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...