OASF new website 25.10.21, official launch event on 30.10.21

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I`ve said it before but I cannot get excited about an organisation that cannot even get basic grammar etc. correct on its official website.

One minute it's "Oldham Athletic Supporters' Foundation" (i.e. with a possessive apostrophe on the plural) - and then shortly afterwards the apostrophe is dropped. Whatever way you want to do it - at least be consistent!

Then it says, "at the heart of it's community" - there should be no apostrophe in "... its community" - that's just from a cursory glance at the site. Sorry but poor once again. If you are going to do something like this then please do it properly.

Perhaps the time it took to type your displeasure could have been spent on the phone offering to help. . .

Oh sorry I forgot. . . You don’t care. 

Except you do care. . . just enough to criticise and tell us you don’t care. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Perhaps the time it took to type your displeasure could have been spent on the phone offering to help. . .

Oh sorry I forgot. . . You don’t care. 

Except you do care. . . just enough to criticise and tell us you don’t care. 

😂

20 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Professional would be good for starters on an official website, don't you think? Don't want the world thinking Oldhamers are a bunch of uneducated, northern, pigeon-racing thickos do we?

Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

22 minutes ago, disjointed said:

The problem with grammar is that it's gives people an air of superiority, the majority of people who I have met in life wouldn't give a shit for a comma or a full stop, these are the people who aren't stuck up their own arse. 

You think people who know how to punctuate are "stuck up there own arse"? 

I hate all people who can't punctuate nearly as much as those who make gross generalisations. 

3 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I hate all people who can't punctuate nearly as much as those who make gross generalisations. 

I couldn’t care less about a missed comma or apostrophe- modern day auto text makes a lot of mistakes inevitable 

10 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Perhaps it came across wrong, I just think that those that use grammar in its correct form shouldn't come across high and mighty to those that haven't been given access to the same sort of education. 

4 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Perhaps it came across wrong, I just think that those that use grammar in its correct form shouldn't come across high and mighty to those that haven't been given access to the same sort of education. 

Furry muff. 

Off at a slight tangent here but I just thought I would highlight this and bring it to the debate.

This here is an example when people unite behind an effective trust what can be done. Obviously the majority of this has come from Ollie Watkins sale but they have run the club on sound principles.

Exeter New £2.2million Training ground

On 10/27/2021 at 8:40 PM, Magic Mikey said:

So his ‘generalisation’ was correct then Mikey. 😂

Nothing wrong with the appreciation and use of language. Picking others up on it, and then making assumptions about their intelligence is quite different. 

On 10/27/2021 at 8:54 PM, disjointed said:

Spot on. 

Or people who are ‘academic’ presuming that grammar or use of language has a greater relevance or importance than emotional intelligence. 

I’m not great with grammar,  but I’ve got more self awareness in my little finger than some on here. 

Which has more value?

Answer- none. 

Just accept that people are doing their best with what they’ve got. 

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

So his ‘generalisation’ was correct then Mikey. 😂

Nothing wrong with the appreciation and use of language. Picking others up on it, and then making assumptions about their intelligence is quite different. 

I'm not sure if you're being serious. I thought it was obvious that I was making a silly generalisation to emphasise how ridiculous they are. Would you make assumptions about people's intelligence based on what they post on here? Oh, hang on. 

For the record, I don't ever criticise use of language on here. 

On 10/26/2021 at 7:56 PM, wiseowl said:

I`ve said it before but I cannot get excited about an organisation that cannot even get basic grammar etc. correct on its official website.

One minute it's "Oldham Athletic Supporters' Foundation" (i.e. with a possessive apostrophe on the plural) - and then shortly afterwards the apostrophe is dropped. Whatever way you want to do it - at least be consistent!

Then it says, "at the heart of it's community" - there should be no apostrophe in "... its community" - that's just from a cursory glance at the site. Sorry but poor once again. If you are going to do something like this then please do it properly.

The problem is that once you put your head above the parapet on behalf of the fans you get nit pickers trying to derail you. The same thing happened to you when you organised the meeting with Corney. No wonder many fans don't step forward in sufficient numbers to help get our club back.

1 hour ago, laticsmarra said:

The problem is that once you put your head above the parapet on behalf of the fans you get nit pickers trying to derail you. The same thing happened to you when you organised the meeting with Corney. No wonder many fans don't step forward in sufficient numbers to help get our club back.

And you use the phrase nit pickers about others whilst this fella was nit picking about apostrophe's. Where in his diatribe was he "acting on behalf of the fans"

8 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

And you use the phrase nit pickers about others whilst this fella was nit picking about apostrophe's. Where in his diatribe was he "acting on behalf of the fans"

There's an unnecessary apostrophe in your post, thought you'd want to know... 

Good punctuation and grammar can provide clarity, accuracy and create a good impression.

This can be important in many fields.

I would not necessarily comment on errors in rapidly typed comments on a football forum but I'd want some things to be correct.

For the foundation this would include any legal documents, minutes  and ideally any publicity.

There will be others on here with a better grasp of these things than me but I'd be prepared to proof read some of the foundation's output. I don't have a lot of spare time and don't always check social media or personal emails so would probably add some delay to the process which will probably provoke some negative comments from a few. 

I'd be happy for someone else to take this on but if there isn't anyone else I can try and do ' my bit'

Regarding mistakes even the best can get it wrong. I remember a match report in the Oldham Chronicle during the 1970s when they printed 'David Shaw scored the winner in the 90th day'.

Another one was 'He is the first Saddleworth batsman to score a double century since 1066'.😆

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Regarding mistakes even the best can get it wrong. I remember a match report in the Oldham Chronicle during the 1970s when they printed 'David Shaw scored the winner in the 90th day'.

Another one was 'He is the first Saddleworth batsman to score a double century since 1066'.😆

Indeed, and one might also mention the tale about the typo in a newspaper headline of the Second World War. Apparently it should have read:

”British push - bottles up Germans”.

Unfortunately, the typesetter missed out the hyphen.

On 10/29/2021 at 10:30 PM, whittles left foot said:

I wasnt teferring to him acting on behalf of the fans.I was referring to those who have spent their free time and energy developing a website etc. Only to have people nit picking their efforts

On 10/26/2021 at 2:03 PM, GlossopLatic said:

A few things here that we are going to have to accept.

1. It is going to take a long time to raise a significant amount of money.

2. We don't have to decide right now what we are going to do with it. The important thing is building up the pot.

3. Regardless what is decided we will not all agree with what it should go towards.

But there has to be some guiding principles as to what it will be used for. Some parameters linked back to the overall objectives of the trust. Those parameters need to be sufficiently tangible so people can see how their contributions would secure the clubs future. 

it’s all too vague at the moment.

am convinced this fanbase could raise 500k overnight with the right messaging and objectives behind the fund raising effort. Until then, it will take 10 years to get to that point  

On 10/28/2021 at 5:20 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Off at a slight tangent here but I just thought I would highlight this and bring it to the debate.

This here is an example when people unite behind an effective trust what can be done. Obviously the majority of this has come from Ollie Watkins sale but they have run the club on sound principles.

Exeter New £2.2million Training ground

It’s not off on a tangent. It’s very relevant 

Archived