You are Oldham Athletic Manager what do you do?

Right here's the Scenario you are helicoptered in as Oldham Athletic Manager tomorrow morning you need to pick the players up of the back of 3-1 home defeat and you have to prepare this team for a tough FA cup game on Saturday at Ipswich. You have the same group of players to pick from:

I want to know the following?

- What team are you selecting first 11 plus subs

- What formation are you playing.

- What instructions are you giving the team.

- How are you going to pick them up from the defeat on Saturday.

- What you working on in training this week.

Don't just say "play 2 upfront" Which 2 are you playing? No point saying play 4-4-2 tell me who plays where and how. You only have the same players at your disposal that Keith Curle has so don't say "we need a striker" which ones you picking.

I want to see if anyone can come up with some creative solutions to the problems our manager is currently facing.

I've not even factored in the fact you will be having to deal with the useless sporting director and the useless owner.

Go!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GlossopLatic said:

Right here's the Scenario you are helicoptered in as Oldham Athletic Manager tomorrow morning you need to pick the players up of the back of 3-1 home defeat and you have to prepare this team for a tough FA cup game on Saturday at Ipswich. You have the same group of players to pick from:

Don't just say "play 2 upfront" Which 2 are you playing? No point saying play 4-4-2 tell me who plays where and how. You only have the same players at your disposal that Keith Curle has so don't say "we need a striker" which ones you picking.

I want to see if anyone can come up with some creative solutions to the problems our manager is currently facing.

I've not even factored in the fact you will be having to deal with the useless sporting director and the useless owner.

Go!

1. Tell AL and Mo they have absolutely no say in any of my decisions and the latter is barred from coming within 5 miles of BP

2. clear my desk 

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

Go!

Am amazed that anyone cares.

manager is totally irrelevant 

the 3k that went yesterday need to have a look at themselves

5 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Thanks I will and I’ll still sleep tonight 

I’m sure my grandad welcomed the chance to distract himself from hospital visits and pissing blood for a while too 

What a bastard he is 

I am sick to the back teeth of people slagging off those that go - I never say anything about the ones that don’t but maybe if a few of you got off your keyboards and into the ground there would be more of that protest you want to see but seemingly not want to do 

4-3-3. Clarke, pidge, mcgahey, couto, whelan, diarra, bowden, wide left of 3 baha, wide right, dkd, hope target man. Dkd working back as much as poss. Reasonably attacking style as we have no defensive players and baha won’t work but he prob has to play seeing as we are so week going forward. Think that’s everyone playing in their position at least 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Thanks I will and I’ll still sleep tonight 

I’m sure my grandad welcomed the chance to distract himself from hospital visits and pissing blood for a while too 

What a bastard he is 

I am sick to the back teeth of people slagging off those that go - I never say anything about the ones that don’t but maybe if a few of you got off your keyboards and into the ground there would be more of that protest you want to see but seemingly not want to do 

You have your reasons mate, personal to you. 

i find it amazing that 3k people turned up and I doubt all have such poignant reasons for attending.

I will criticise the fact that fans are still attending in numbers and am sorry if you are sick of it. However, attendance amounts to endorsement in my view. Appreciate that there is a split view on this but it’s something I feel strongly about.

thanks 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's a really good group of questions and I was thinking about asking similar things after last week's match.  

Assuming that the same 18 (plus youth) are available again, I'd go with a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield:

Leutwiler

Clarke

McGahey

Piergianni

Couto

Diarra

Whelan

Bowden

Bahamboula

Hope

DKD

Clarke and Couto to push forward into crossing positions when needed, Diarra to sit in front of the centre backs to get stuck into the opposition and give physical protection to Whelan and Bowden, who could hopefully get their foot on the ball and dictate play.  Give Bahamboula a free role to get in between the opposition lines.  Hope can run the channels and at least drag the defence out of position if he isn't scoring.  There are many things that DKD can't do in a midfield/wing role, but one thing he can do is finish.  So I'd have him playing on the last man.

I've honestly not seen enough of Bowden and Bettache, Bowden seems like the lesser of two evils to be in a midfield battle, whereas Bettache is left footed and more creative which could add balance to the team.

Aside from the fresh start that any new manager should bring, I'd say to any player other than the keeper, two centre backs and Diarra to get forward to support attacks without fear.  Personally I'm not too fussed about the result at Ipswich as long as the performance is respectable.

Movement off-the-ball and the passing to go with it.

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

You have your reasons mate, personal to you. 

i find it amazing that 3k people turned up and I doubt all have such poignant reasons for attending.

I will criticise the fact that fans are still attending in numbers and am sorry if you are sick of it. However, attendance amounts to endorsement in my view. Appreciate that there is a split view on this but it’s something I feel strongly about.

thanks 

I haven't seen you out hunting down paedophiles so I assume you endorse what they do

Whichever way you look at it there's few goals in this squad and that's down to KC, I'd release the vast majority and sign players who have heart, desire with a willingness to dominate the opposition and score goals from all angles. You can find these in non league and on loan if you look hard enough.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Whichever way you look at it there's few goals in this squad and that's down to KC, I'd release the vast majority and sign players who have heart, desire with a willingness to dominate the opposition and score goals from all angles. You can find these in non league and on loan if you look hard enough.

Right there are few goals in this team but we spent the summer under transfer restrictions and we can't sign anyone until January so we have 2 months with what we have how does he change that for this Saturday? 

So who does he pick from what he's got?

What formation?

What tactics?

What's he working on in training?

2 hours ago, Careca9 said:

4-3-3. Clarke, pidge, mcgahey, couto, whelan, diarra, bowden, wide left of 3 baha, wide right, dkd, hope target man. Dkd working back as much as poss. Reasonably attacking style as we have no defensive players and baha won’t work but he prob has to play seeing as we are so week going forward. Think that’s everyone playing in their position at least 

Fair enough not a bad solution

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

It's a really good group of questions and I was thinking about asking similar things after last week's match.  

Assuming that the same 18 (plus youth) are available again, I'd go with a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield:

Leutwiler

Clarke

McGahey

Piergianni

Couto

Diarra

Whelan

Bowden

Bahamboula

Hope

DKD

Clarke and Couto to push forward into crossing positions when needed, Diarra to sit in front of the centre backs to get stuck into the opposition and give physical protection to Whelan and Bowden, who could hopefully get their foot on the ball and dictate play.  Give Bahamboula a free role to get in between the opposition lines.  Hope can run the channels and at least drag the defence out of position if he isn't scoring.  There are many things that DKD can't do in a midfield/wing role, but one thing he can do is finish.  So I'd have him playing on the last man.

I've honestly not seen enough of Bowden and Bettache, Bowden seems like the lesser of two evils to be in a midfield battle, whereas Bettache is left footed and more creative which could add balance to the team.

Aside from the fresh start that any new manager should bring, I'd say to any player other than the keeper, two centre backs and Diarra to get forward to support attacks without fear.  Personally I'm not too fussed about the result at Ipswich as long as the performance is respectable.

Movement off-the-ball and the passing to go with it.

Good answer that's what I'm looking for, although the fact Diarra is anywhere near the starting line up tells us how bad things are.

The managers options are very very limited and even if we were to replace him, his successor will be faced with these same issues, I can see people calling for his head I can't see too many coming up with any solutions to his problems.

2 hours ago, Andy b said:

Well according to some it just requires a change in tactics I want to know what these peoples solutions are.

20 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well according to some it just requires a change in tactics I want to know what these peoples solutions are.

We looked "better" in the second half after switching to a back 4. With the players we have now I'd like us to try 433 with Hope and Bahamboula either side of Dearnley.

Curle will no doubt switch back to his preferred formation though!

3 hours ago, Andy b said:

We all know there is not a chance there were 3k there. Not even 2k IMHO. TheNorth stand and RRE were very sparsely populated.

Those that go, could take photos of each stand and we could try and count, there is technology that could do it too. Let's see how many actually turn up.

13 minutes ago, mick26 said:

We looked "better" in the second half after switching to a back 4. With the players we have now I'd like us to try 433 with Hope and Bahamboula either side of Dearnley.

Curle will no doubt switch back to his preferred formation though!

So a front 3 of Hope (0 goals so far) Dearnley (constant fitness issues) and Bahamboula (moments of magic but inconsistent)

What's the rest of the team looking like?

Honestly - I'd have little idea what to do with this current lot. I think we are doomed due to some essential gaps in recruitment.

Personally, I think the only thing that saves us is two fundamental signings. An actual centre forward (as we don't currently have an out and out striker on the books) who can make the ball stick upfront and meet balls in the box.... and a centre mid who isn't built like a kid, not afraid to rough up the opposition and who can grab hold of the game from the middle of the park.

Not easy to find, especially with an embargo and clubs probably less than willing to lend us a player.

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I haven't seen you out hunting down paedophiles so I assume you endorse what they do

If you want to use that analogy surely the equivalent would be to proactively contribute to the paedophiles cause rather doing nothing to stop it? 

4-1-4-1. First I'd play those that have done reasonably well this season plus some kids, Instructions would be simple, attack, cup shocks are common. 

Leutwiler

Back 4 Clarke, Mcgahey, Pidge, Couto 

Whelan as the one defensive midfielder

Wide right Modi

Central AM DKD

Central AM Vaughan

Wide left  Bahamboula

Striker Simms

Subs

All kids.

Crazy I know, but at least there's some willingness to attack in there,

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

4-1-4-1. First I'd play those that have done reasonably well this season plus some kids, Instructions would be simple, attack, cup shocks are common. 

Leutwiler

Back 4 Clarke, Mcgahey, Pidge, Couto 

Whelan as the one defensive midfielder

Wide right Modi

Central AM DKD

Central AM Vaughan

Wide left  Bahamboula

Striker Simms

Subs

All kids.

Crazy I know, but at least there's some willingness to attack in there,

Totally genuine question. Who is Simms? 

Prolific goal scoring youth team striker, scored and impressed in the youth cup win at Carlisle up against some big defenders.

Modi was praised by the Carlisle commentary team as the best player on the pitch.

21 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Prolific goal scoring youth team striker, scored and impressed in the youth cup win at Carlisle up against some big defenders.

Modi was praised by the Carlisle commentary team as the best player on the pitch.

Surprised he's not made the bench yet as he looks a good prospect and goalscorers mean money!

Archived