MATCH: vs Ipswich Town (A) 06/11/21 #FACup 1st Round šŸ†

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Well, I'd like to say that I'm looking forward to my first game of the season and since I don't know when but...Ā  I've emailed Ipswich to see if I'm allowed to bring a sofa into the ground to hide behind.

Ā 

You neverĀ  know in the FA Cup, If Simon Blitz is there its an omen we will win.šŸ˜‰

1 minute ago, daniel said:

Anyone know the TV rights situation for the FA cup this season? Will it be on Ifollow for our ā€œoverseasā€ fans?Ā 

Ā 

Not on anywhere this time, not even highlights.

Seems the TV people think this will be a boring formality for Ipswich.

At last I can join inĀ Ā šŸ˜Ā  Ā  Ā Quick introduction, Ipswich fan of many years, seen just about everything with the club except champions of england (1962 was a little far back for some) and looking forward to playing you in a short time.Ā  Ā  Ā We have had Joe Royle as manager of course and a few of your old players over the years.

Ā 

I always remember Oldham around the time of 1990 when still at school and the great team you had back then with players like Ritchie, Milligan, Holden was it, Bunn and Earl Barrett i'm sure it was before he left for other things.Ā  Ā League Cup Final, Fa Cup semi-finals and old second division champions 1991, we won it the following year (the last of the old division before Premier League began)

Ā 

i'm not expecting to win, you may be a league below us but our FA Cup record in recent years is absolute rubbish.Ā  Ā Cook won't even try and put out a side resembling a junior kick about.Ā  Ā  The league is all important to us, need to make it back to Championship level but we're making a right meal of it in actual fact.

Ā 

Oldham have a great chance to win, believe me I follow us week in week out and can honestly say the Cups do not matter to us.Ā  Ā We simply give up and often, very often, go out to teams in lower divisions.Ā  Ā If you turn up on the day and want it more than us you'll win, take the opportunity.

Ā 

I saw your result with Swindon at the weekend and think you're better than that.Ā  Ā  Speak again another time.

Ā 

Ā 

18 minutes ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

At last I can join inĀ Ā šŸ˜Ā  Ā  Ā Quick introduction, Ipswich fan of many years, seen just about everything with the club except champions of england (1962 was a little far back for some) and looking forward to playing you in a short time.Ā  Ā  Ā We have had Joe Royle as manager of course and a few of your old players over the years.

Ā 

I always remember Oldham around the time of 1990 when still at school and the great team you had back then with players like Ritchie, Milligan, Holden was it, Bunn and Earl Barrett i'm sure it was before he left for other things.Ā  Ā League Cup Final, Fa Cup semi-finals and old second division champions 1991, we won it the following year (the last of the old division before Premier League began)

Ā 

i'm not expecting to win, you may be a league below us but our FA Cup record in recent years is absolute rubbish.Ā  Ā Cook won't even try and put out a side resembling a junior kick about.Ā  Ā  The league is all important to us, need to make it back to Championship level but we're making a right meal of it in actual fact.

Ā 

Oldham have a great chance to win, believe me I follow us week in week out and can honestly say the Cups do not matter to us.Ā  Ā We simply give up and often, very often, go out to teams in lower divisions.Ā  Ā If you turn up on the day and want it more than us you'll win, take the opportunity.

Ā 

I saw your result with Swindon at the weekend and think you're better than that.Ā  Ā  Speak again another time.

Ā 

Ā 

Good one!!Ā šŸ¤£.Ā  We're hoping to keep it to single figures.

1 hour ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Belive me, we are not better than the result against Swindon, we are a team of lightweights, you can put out your second 11 and still stroll this tie.Ā 

9 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Belive me, we are not better than the result against Swindon, we are a team of lightweights, you can put out your second 11 and still stroll this tie.Ā 

Ā 

I'll be bloody amazed if we even score. Even if we had a ball each. I can't take another week of listening to the depressing crap that they're serving up (the team, not Mikey and Roy who try to find positives). I think I'll join my mate and go to watch Bath City v Welling United in the National League South instead. Welling are managed by ex-Latics loanee, Peter Taylor. Welling are about the 18th club he's managed apart from his stints as England U20 and U21 manager.Ā 

2 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Ā 

I'll be bloody amazed if we even score. Even if we had a ball each. I can't take another week of listening to the depressing crap that they're serving up (the team, not Mikey and Roy who try to find positives). I think I'll join my mate and go to watch Bath City v Welling United in the National League South instead. Welling are managed by ex-Latics loanee, Peter Taylor. Welling are about the 18th club he's managed apart from his stints as England U20 and U21 manager.Ā 

And England managerĀ 

On 11/1/2021 at 5:32 PM, Bristolatic said:

Ā 

Welling are managed by ex-Latics loanee, Peter Taylor. Welling are about the 18th club he's managed apart from his stints as England U20 and U21 manager.Ā 

Peter Taylor - very highly regarded coach in his day. I remember him taking a coaching session for us when I was playing for Oldham Town back in the early 80s. An absolute privilege to have met him.

First FA Cup game I haven't been to for a very long time

Ā 

My lad is going by train from London to keep up the family tradition and if its not too bad a score he reckons he might stay on until after half-time

Ā 

More about meeting up with our football friends than FA Cup glory

Ā 

Saying that, it is the magic of the FA Cup so you never know

Ā 

Ā 

30 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Ipswich have an appalling record in the FA Cup over recent years, whereas Latics' is pretty good especially against stronger oppositionĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

5-0 IpswichĀ 

Ā 

We haven't got beyond Round Five since 1993 believe it or not.Ā  Ā  That's a year before Oldham had that game with Manchester United at the semi-final stage and were seconds from victory before Hughes spoiled it.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I know Portman Road isn't the easiest venue to get to, same goes for Norwich, but hope you bring a good number of fans over and the weather stays good.Ā  Ā There won't be no trouble with our support, Ipswich isn't noted for fan bother, far from it, any scuffles happen with Norwich and even then it's not exactly Ajax / Feyenoord standard.

Ā 

You may have seen or heard about our win at Wycombe tuesday night.Ā  Ā That surprised everyone here, many thought a draw was the best we could take from it but that was one of the best displays from the team in recent times.Ā  Ā Cook still has his doubters but so long as these type of scores continue and the team makes progress the moaners have to make do with staying in the shadows.

Ā 

Despite all this I still feel Oldham have a good chance to win this weekend.Ā  Ā Our focus isn't with Cup competitions, we've never won the League Cup, haven't got to a FA Cup semi-final since 1981, sixth round since 1993 and get beat by under 21 kids in that pointless Papa Johns trophy crud.Ā  Ā All you have to do it on the day is bring your strongest team and play to win, the rest should take care of itself.Ā  Ā  I don't care about the FA Cup, we're not going to win it, have realised that for many many years now so come over, take the opportunity, believe in yourselves and there's a clear route to Round Two ahead.Ā  Ā 

2 hours ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

Ā 

We haven't got beyond Round Five since 1993 believe it or not.Ā  Ā  That's a year before Oldham had that game with Manchester United at the semi-final stage and were seconds from victory before Hughes spoiled it.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I know Portman Road isn't the easiest venue to get to, same goes for Norwich, but hope you bring a good number of fans over and the weather stays good.Ā  Ā There won't be no trouble with our support, Ipswich isn't noted for fan bother, far from it, any scuffles happen with Norwich and even then it's not exactly Ajax / Feyenoord standard.

Ā 

You may have seen or heard about our win at Wycombe tuesday night.Ā  Ā That surprised everyone here, many thought a draw was the best we could take from it but that was one of the best displays from the team in recent times.Ā  Ā Cook still has his doubters but so long as these type of scores continue and the team makes progress the moaners have to make do with staying in the shadows.

Ā 

Despite all this I still feel Oldham have a good chance to win this weekend.Ā  Ā Our focus isn't with Cup competitions, we've never won the League Cup, haven't got to a FA Cup semi-final since 1981, sixth round since 1993 and get beat by under 21 kids in that pointless Papa Johns trophy crud.Ā  Ā All you have to do it on the day is bring your strongest team and play to win, the rest should take care of itself.Ā  Ā  I don't care about the FA Cup, we're not going to win it, have realised that for many many years now so come over, take the opportunity, believe in yourselves and there's a clear route to Round Two ahead.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

I was playing a pool match in a pub in Needham Market on Tuesday and chatting a to a few Ipswich Town fans who were blissfully unaware of just how bad things are at Oldham.Ā  We talked of Ian Marshall and Joe Royle and the better times both clubs have had in the past but I think I left them feeling fairly confident about your prospects on Saturday.

6 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Annoying that people commenting on social platforms saying its a poor turnout etc. Its a 5-6 hour journey costing 100s Ā£s. Not an easy game to get to even for die hard fans

Given the current state of our club and our team, (as well as the stringent entry conditions) Ā I would say that 400 travelling to Ipswich is a decent following.Ā 
Even from where I live, the journey is a three hour drive so kudos to all who make the trip. I can only see one outcome but thereā€™s always a chanceā€¦šŸ‘€

Archived