Comical own goals…

Just wondering if anyone with a great memory (or one better than mine, which won’t be hard) can help me out with something…

A mate and myself were talking about amusing own goals recently and I recall a Latics one that was one of the funniest/worst I’ve ever seen. 

We had two defenders on the line at a post and the ball came at them. They both tried, almost taking turns, hoofing it off the line but kept hitting it off each other for what seemed like an eternity before it eventually bobbled in…

I think we were at home and I think it was at the Chaddy end goals. I’d say it was roughly 15 years ago… 

Does anyone else recall something similar or did I just dream it?

And if any other amusing Latics own goals (on the pitch, there’s bloody plenty of unamusing ones off it) come to mind please mention - sometimes you just have to laugh…

I recall John Ritson, Bolton legend, scoring one for us from well outside the box, mid 70s maybe.  Went down to Colin Garwood initially as I doubt anyone could believe he'd scored an OG from that far out  Didn't Bobby Moore notch one for us when he was at Fulham?

Remember the Bolton one as clear as day . Big game at Christmas. Nearly 20,000 on. The back of the Chaddy End was one long scrap. Tight game, but Garwood had scored late on. Then there was a through ball that both Garwood and Ritson were chasing . The Bolton goalie, Charlie Wright, came out and Ritson tried to pass back, but ended up perfectly chipping him.

Oh how we laughed!

Wasn't there for the Bobby Moore one, but it was spectacular and there was a great Chron photo.

24 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Remember the Bolton one as clear as day . Big game at Christmas. Nearly 20,000 on. The back of the Chaddy End was one long scrap. Tight game, but Garwood had scored late on. Then there was a through ball that both Garwood and Ritson were chasing . The Bolton goalie, Charlie Wright, came out and Ritson tried to pass back, but ended up perfectly chipping him.

Oh how we laughed!

That's the one - I was in the main stand (odd, I was usually on the Rochdale Road terrace with my Dad and Uncle) and right in line with it - probably 25 yards out from in line with the corner of the area and straight into the far corner on the full

I remember Kelvin Lomax absolutely drilling one in the top corner in about 2009 a clearance he swung a leg at it it could have gone anywhere it went in the top bin.

Kevin Francis while playing for Birmingham scored a cracking near post header for us from a corner diverted it beautifully into the bottom corner from the near post.

Can't recall the one nohairdontcare refers too though.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I recall John Ritson, Bolton legend, scoring one for us from well outside the box, mid 70s maybe.  Went down to Colin Garwood initially as I doubt anyone could believe he'd scored an OG from that far out  Didn't Bobby Moore notch one for us when he was at Fulham?

Moore certainly did. Sept 1974 , the name only goal of the game, our first season back in the 2nd Div. Ah, glory days. 

3 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Moore certainly did. Sept 1974 , the name only goal of the game, our first season back in the 2nd Div. Ah, glory days. 

Yes I was in the Ford stand and watched it rifle into the net, and remember the picture in the chron of the late great Bobby Moore almost horizontal heading the ball.

I'm sure a Portsmouth player similarly notched for us sometime in the 90s?

Whilst not at Latics at the time    little WillieDonachies for Wales v Scotland still amuses.

Classic own goal by Mark Stimson on New Years Day 1991 to save Latics a home point against Newcastle - just rolled the ball back to Budgie Burridge who was not anticipating it, ball rolled agonisingly past him for us to send the Chaddy End delirious. 

That Bobby Moore one in October 1974 was a classic diving header from a corner, Bobby just got up, shook his head sadly and carried on. The classiest player to ever to notch an OG at Boundary Park. 

One of the best (worst) away ones was big Killer Kilcline slicing a clearance in to his own net at Elland Road for the only goal of the game - a real shame as he was playing great and having his best game in a Latics shirt till then     

37 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Classic own goal by Mark Stimson on New Years Day 1991 to save Latics a home point against Newcastle - just rolled the ball back to Budgie Burridge who was not anticipating it, ball rolled agonisingly past him for us to send the Chaddy End delirious. 

That Bobby Moore one in October 1974 was a classic diving header from a corner, Bobby just got up, shook his head sadly and carried on. The classiest player to ever to notch an OG at Boundary Park. 

One of the best (worst) away ones was big Killer Kilcline slicing a clearance in to his own net at Elland Road for the only goal of the game - a real shame as he was playing great and having his best game in a Latics shirt till then     

Killer Kilcline, didn't he also earn the nickname Douglas Bader, great in the air with 2 wooden legs. 

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Kevin Francis while playing for Birmingham scored a cracking near post header for us from a corner diverted it beautifully into the bottom corner from the near post.

Did he not score two own goals in the same game? I think we won 4-0.

1 hour ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Yes I was in the Ford stand and watched it rifle into the net, and remember the picture in the chron of the late great Bobby Moore almost horizontal heading the ball.

I'm sure a Portsmouth player similarly notched for us sometime in the 90s?

Whilst not at Latics at the time    little WillieDonachies for Wales v Scotland still amuses.

Reuben Hazell scored one like that for Millwall against us and had Gregan screaming in his ear about it for the rest of the match 

38 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

Did he not score two own goals in the same game? I think we won 4-0.

No he didn't, but Birmingham did. I think it might have been the fullback put one through his own net.

Yeah 4-0 think it was November 95 if memory serves me right. Think Stuart Barlow scored for us too.

4 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

I didn’t think Bobby Moore could go up in my estimation after his stellar England career, but he did with that own goal!

What a player he was though. I remember Rodney Marsh saying the FA should hang their heads in shame for failing to use his experience and know-how after he retired. They haven’t improved much since.

seem to recall a certain Mike Doyle scoring a peach of an equaliser into his own net for noblot in the early 80s .he wasnt immpressed when a mate brought it up whilst attending his daughters 18th ha 

and of course Chris Prices fantastic headed goal against the Villa in 1990 fa cup quater final 

15 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

and of course Chris Prices fantastic headed goal against the Villa in 1990 fa cup quater final 

That wasn't a header it was a back pass that went in.

Felt sorry for him that night Rick Holden tore him a new one and he scored an own goal.

55 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Felt sorry for him that night Rick Holden tore him a new one and he scored an own goal.

I can honestly say I never felt sorry for him. Tricky was unplayable that night. 

On 11/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, LaticsPete said:

Bullet header into the net. Their goalie had no chance.

6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

never actualy seen it just heard pikeys commentry as was at work that night bloody twelve hour night shift

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the Ritson own goal very well, 6 January 1973 (att: 19745). Garwood had put us ahead in the first half, then with Bolton pushing forward for an equalizer we hit them on the break a few minutes from the end, when Ritson, under intense pressure from Garwood, lobbed his own keeper from just outside the penalty area. It was a pretty foggy Saturday afternoon, touch and go as to whether the game would be started or finished, and it was difficult or impossible to see what was happening at the other end of the ground.

Was also there for that amazing Bobby Moore own goal. at the Chaddy End from an Alan Groves cross. Moore actually scored an almost identical og in a match against Sunderland at Craven Cottage a few weeks later:

Archived