Comical own goals…

10 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

I remember the Ritson own goal very well, 6 January 1973 (att: 19745). Garwood had put us ahead in the first half, then with Bolton pushing forward for an equalizer we hit them on the break a few minutes from the end, when Ritson, under intense pressure from Garwood, lobbed his own keeper from just outside the penalty area. It was a pretty foggy Saturday afternoon, touch and go as to whether the game would be started or finished, and it was difficult or impossible to see what was happening at the other end of the ground.

Was also there for that amazing Bobby Moore own goal. at the Chaddy End from an Alan Groves cross. Moore actually scored an almost identical og in a match against Sunderland at Craven Cottage a few weeks later:

I seem to remember Moore's own goal came from a cross from the right so not from Groves.......but I may well be mistaken !!

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

One for the older members not an own goal but did the Liverpool Goalkeeper score from a goal kick in a fixture in the 1960's

I don't think the laws of football allow a goal to be scored from a goalkick (ie of the dead ball variety). If you mean a kick from the keeper in open play, then Pat Jennings scored one for Spurs at Old Trafford in 1967.

An earlier post briefly mentioned an own goal scored by future Latics man Willie Donachie. For those who are unaware of this or haven't seen it, here's a demonstration of what not to do when your team is leading 1-0 with just a couple of minutes to play in an important international fixture (just after the 5:00 mark).....

I would have bet my mortgage (if I had one) on that Moore own goal coming from a cross from the left, ie from the direction of the main stand. Of course, if you were in the Chaddy End, the cross would've been from the right from your viewpoint. The memory can play very strange tricks though, especially nearly half a century on!

Dropped into the Local Studies Library this morning, and read Jim Williams's Oldham Chronicle report on the game against Fulham, played on 28 September 1974.

The final paragraph reads: "The goal that won it I have left until last, because the match itself was so good that it didn't really matter. It came in the 71st minute when MOORE, attempting to head away a fiendish cross from Groves, knocked the ball into the roof of his own net. At the other end it would have been a great goal."

Not one of Jim's more colourful patches of prose, but pretty conclusive on the matter! The photograph which accompanies the piece also makes it fairly obvious that the cross came from the left.

Case closed, M'Lud?

On 11/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, LaticsPete said:

Moore certainly did. Sept 1974 , the name only goal of the game, our first season back in the 2nd Div. Ah, glory days. 

This was my first ever game .My older brother took me and kept going on about this player called Bobby Moore playing for Fulham .I also think they had another big name playing for them , it may have been Rodney Marsh ?

9 minutes ago, Yorkyp65 said:

This was my first ever game .My older brother took me and kept going on about this player called Bobby Moore playing for Fulham .I also think they had another big name playing for them , it may have been Rodney Marsh ?

I think Peter Mellor may have been in net for Fulham. 

20 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

Dropped into the Local Studies Library this morning, and read Jim Williams's Oldham Chronicle report on the game against Fulham, played on 28 September 1974.

The final paragraph reads: "The goal that won it I have left until last, because the match itself was so good that it didn't really matter. It came in the 71st minute when MOORE, attempting to head away a fiendish cross from Groves, knocked the ball into the roof of his own net. At the other end it would have been a great goal."

Not one of Jim's more colourful patches of prose, but pretty conclusive on the matter! The photograph which accompanies the piece also makes it fairly obvious that the cross came from the left.

Case closed, M'Lud?

Jim Williams wasn't infallible.............but on this occasion I'll gracefully concede. 😳

Archived