MATCH: vs Tranmere Rovers (A) 09/11/21 FL Trophy Group Stage B 🏆

Seen the highlights, I won't say this too often but quick thinking by DKD for the first goal to play the through ball as early as he did after the interception.  Two good finishes by Dearnley, although he couldn't really miss the 2nd after a peach of a cross from Nicky Adams.

As BP said, every goal came from the left and the 2nd half goals were far too easy with the way they played it through us.  The centre of midfield looks so weak!  Their first was a great cross but I thought that Clarke could've done better at the back post.

Quick question for anyone who watched the whole match, did Bahamboula play a bit deeper (i.e. not as a target man)?  He looked like he was able to drive at their defence more than he has done recently.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Quick question for anyone who watched the whole match, did Bahamboula play a bit deeper (i.e. not as a target man)?  He looked like he was able to drive at their defence more than he has done recently.

He seemed to. Wss coming back a lot further, picking it up and running at them. 

11 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Apart from the 5 in the Southern Section

Not many out of 16 though, is it? From memory last season wasn't any better.

The rationale for allowing these clubs in was that it would give the Premier League youngsters in particular match time and make them more competitive. Two points :

a) it hasn't really worked, has it? and

b) what makes the EPL clubs so special? Except for the fact that they were able to blackmail the EFL into going along with this because the latter are so reliant upon them for funding.

I think it's the thin end of a wedge, and the EFL should never have agreed to it. They have been very lucky since in that the fact that well supported clubs have made the final and that has drawn a veil over the fact that the fans of lower league clubs have largely shunned the competition. I'd love the the final  to be someone like Harrogate v Brighton U-21s, and watch the EFL trying to explain why Wembley is 80% empty.

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

Not many out of 16 though, is it? From memory last season wasn't any better.

The rationale for allowing these clubs in was that it would give the Premier League youngsters in particular match time and make them more competitive. Two points :

a) it hasn't really worked, has it? and

b) what makes the EPL clubs so special? Except for the fact that they were able to blackmail the EFL into going along with this because the latter are so reliant upon them for funding.

I think it's the thin end of a wedge, and the EFL should never have agreed to it. They have been very lucky since in that the fact that well supported clubs have made the final and that has drawn a veil over the fact that the fans of lower league clubs have largely shunned the competition. I'd love the the final  to be someone like Harrogate v Brighton U-21s, and watch the EFL trying to explain why Wembley is 80% empty.

Think when England won both the u-17 and u-20 World tournaments someone looked at how many games the players in both squads had played in the EFL Trophy. The answer was very few, despite the fact that u-20s are probably the target group for the rationale behind letting the u-21s / u-23s teams from academies play. In fact the player who had the most appearances in the EFL trophy was playing for Charlton and was only a fringe player for the National side.

I do think the EFL trophy could help develop England’s future players but that’s in the same way the loan system helps develop England’s future players. The person in the current England set-ups with the most appearances in the competition is probably Harry Kane thanks to quite a few loans to the likes of Leyton Orient.

47 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Think when England won both the u-17 and u-20 World tournaments someone looked at how many games the players in both squads had played in the EFL Trophy. The answer was very few, despite the fact that u-20s are probably the target group for the rationale behind letting the u-21s / u-23s teams from academies play. In fact the player who had the most appearances in the EFL trophy was playing for Charlton and was only a fringe player for the National side.

I do think the EFL trophy could help develop England’s future players but that’s in the same way the loan system helps develop England’s future players. The person in the current England set-ups with the most appearances in the competition is probably Harry Kane thanks to quite a few loans to the likes of Leyton Orient.

Imagine if the FA non league trophy allowed EFL under 21s in it.😲

8 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

What was evident last night (to me anyway) is that we are demanding too much from Benny Couto at the moment. 
He is a second year scholar who has now played seven or so games for the first team. He turned eighteen in September and this is his first season of professional football. 

He looks a very talented player and the club has quite rightly given him a three year contract. However he is still learning about the positional and defensive side of his game and will make mistakes. At the end of the game he was running on empty and should have been substituted earlier.

His promotion to the starting eleven was out of necessity due to Hart picking up an injury at Sutton. Hopefully Hart will be back soon to ease some of the burden on Couto - either allowing the manager to rest him or to play the pair of them together on the left side of the team.

Great post.

lf our fans could think like this we wouldn't be down where we are bc they wouldnt have hounded and dragged down all the talent that's left for free and played higher than us. 

'Played higher than us' fuckinell that used to mean something.

On 11/9/2021 at 2:44 PM, LightDN123 said:

It did, Johnstone Paint Trophy days. League 1 and 2 was good, with the North South divide 

Yes, it was a decent comp before they let the PL youth teams in.

I used to work with a Southampton fan who said that when they won the FL Trophy in 2009/10, apart from being a great day out at Wembley, it marked the start of their climb back to the top flight. They finished 7th in L1 that season (having started with a 10 point deduction) and it was their first trophy since the FA Cup in 1976. The FL trophy win meant a lot to them.

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes, it was a decent comp before they let the PL youth teams in.

I used to work with a Southampton fan who said that when they won the FL Trophy in 2009/10, apart from being a great day out at Wembley, it marked the start of their climb back to the top flight. They finished 7th in L1 that season (having started with a 10 point deduction) and it was their first trophy since the FA Cup in 1976. The FL trophy win meant a lot to them.

I attended Wembley to watch Southampton v Carlisle in the FL Trophy as a guest of the sponsors and it was an opportunity of taking my lad to Wembley for the first time. It was a good occasion for any EFL team who was lucky enough to reach the final and a great day out for their fans. 

Sadly we never got past the Northern Final so a whole generation of Latics fans have been denied an opportunity of seeing their favourites at Wembley

13 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I attended Wembley to watch Southampton v Carlisle in the FL Trophy as a guest of the sponsors and it was an opportunity of taking my lad to Wembley for the first time. It was a good occasion for any EFL team who was lucky enough to reach the final and a great day out for their fans. 

Sadly we never got past the Northern Final so a whole generation of Latics fans have been denied an opportunity of seeing their favourites at Wembley

What makes you say that? The under 23’s idea is as shite now as it was when it was suggested but they are so many millions of miles away from league standard the competition remains the most likely route to Wembley for teams at our level.  It’s easier than the play off route.

of course this does not apply to our current team or period of history as we are proper dog turd 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

What makes you say that? The under 23’s idea is as shite now as it was when it was suggested but they are so many millions of miles away from league standard the competition remains the most likely route to Wembley for teams at our level.  It’s easier than the play off route.

of course this does not apply to our current team or period of history as we are proper dog turd 

It was the Johnsons Paint Trophy I went to see and what Worcester was referring to. The under 23s idea is shite, agree 100%. 

Not sure if I would go to an EFL trophy final if Latics were there, may do generally but as not attending at present, very unlikely i would. Definitely wouldn't go to watch Latics play an U23 team in Final, but might consider if it was another EFL club. 

I would love all younger Latics fans to experience seeing OAFC at Wembley in a competitive game. 

3 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

It was the Johnsons Paint Trophy I went to see and what Worcester was referring to. The under 23s idea is shite, agree 100%. 

Not sure if I would go to an EFL trophy final if Latics were there, may do generally but as not attending at present, very unlikely i would. Definitely wouldn't go to watch Latics play an U23 team in Final, but might consider if it was another EFL club. 

I would love all younger Latics fans to experience seeing OAFC at Wembley in a competitive game. 

Yes, I was referring to the comp in its pre-PL days. I completely agree that letting their U23 teams in has spoilt it.

• Matt unfeatured this topic
On 11/10/2021 at 9:07 PM, Chaddyexile84 said:

I was there to witness one of the many occasions Jermaine Johnson ran clear of the defence to drag wide - think we drew 1-1 in Talbots reign 

I went to that and he scored the equaliser although he probably should have had a hattrick

4 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Yes he did I forgot that.

he should be our record goal scorer the amount of easy chances he missed though 🤣

I can remember his 'shot' at Chesterfield in the same season after beating half of the Chesterfield team.  I think it's still travelling now. 

Archived