Relegation.

6 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I would argue that an inability to pass, shoot, tackle, control the ball, close the opposition down and maintain a level of consistency is solely down to the players.
I understand that the level of footballer we have on our books is poor but I would argue that they are League 2 standard. The basic skills should be a given at whatever level of the game.
I don’t think that the players should be blameless in this - and they have contributed hugely to our current predicament.

Rationally you are correct, and I’ve made the argument myself before. However it doesn’t work like that. 

Why does Maguire look competent/half decent for England. Yet for United he looks awful? Has he lost his ability to head, pass, etc, or is it the coaching??? They’re countless examples of players at all levels who look shocking, the coach changes and suddenly you’re looking at a different player. 

Any decent coach/manager improves players and makes the team more than the sum of its parts. Curle has a very poor squad and no strikers and so should be judged accordingly, IE anything above going down and he’s done a good job IMO, but he can’t even do that. 

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Dunn was wrong then - it was a pathetic line to try and cover up the fact that he was an arrogant prick who was shite at his job.  If Curle came out with such a thing now, I'd be more than inclined to agree with him.  I've never known it so obvious from the outside looking in that the club is fucked..

Owners at number 1 and Sporting Director at number 2 and the list can finish there. 

The owners have been a failure since they've been here.  Their "strategy" is the reason why we're in this position.  Force crap players on the manager and piss off fans, players and sponsors alike so know wants to go near us.  This is stuff that's been ongoing since the start of their tenure and mostly before Curle or the current playing squad (apart from Dylan Fage!) were involved with the club.  Now the Manager and Players are expected to deal with wreckage.  100% the Owners fault - their approach has resulted in one relegation and will inevitably result in another.  Until they're gone, the players and manager are almost irrelevant..

as well as, i have no doubt at all, other clubs that means our loanees have gone from the quality of Lang, Surridge, Lyden and Iversen to what we have now.  Worth recalling that those four players were arguably (plus Missilou) the key factors in the highlight of their ownership - the win at Fulham

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Rationally you are correct, and I’ve made the argument myself before. However it doesn’t work like that. 

Why does Maguire look competent/half decent for England. Yet for United he looks awful? Has he lost his ability to head, pass, etc, or is it the coaching??? They’re countless examples of players at all levels who look shocking, the coach changes and suddenly you’re looking at a different player. 

Any decent coach/manager improves players and makes the team more than the sum of its parts. Curle has a very poor squad and no strikers and so should be judged accordingly, IE anything above going down and he’s done a good job IMO, but he can’t even do that. 

to be fair he's only one place away from the one that I would have snapped anyone's hand off for before the season started.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

He doesn’t ordinarily play against San Marino window cleaners at United 😂

(though I actually agree with you) 

18 hours ago, Hands on said:

I think we should all accept that the problem is not Curle but rather the hand he has been dealt.  The best manager in the world would struggle with the players we have.

The problem is our owners and their belief that they know how to make the club successful.  They are holding on to the fiction that you can make money owning a football club.  Putting you wealth into a football club and expecting to get it back is a delusion.

We are not deluded in knowing that dropping out of the football league will be a disaster but that is the course we are on.  Saving our status is not on the cards.  Saving our existence is probably where we are going and probably what we should focus on.

AL is daft enough to think he could still get his money back if we were in the NL.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I agree. U have to remember that kewell got more out of the same squad than curle did hence his points per game was lower. Appreciate kewell had more time but he delivered more with same players. Curle can’t have a free ride just because he’s been left in charge of a shit show. If he was learning, trying things new, playing people in their position I couldnt argue but he’s not. He’s contributing to the defeats by not playing the right tactics/formation, or trying something new. Hence someone else could prob get more results out of this lot, whether it keeps us up or not I’m not sure but I’m convinced a change would result in better performances and poss results.

34 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

I agree. U have to remember that kewell got more out of the same squad than curle did hence his points per game was lower. Appreciate kewell had more time but he delivered more with same players. Curle can’t have a free ride just because he’s been left in charge of a shit show. If he was learning, trying things new, playing people in their position I couldnt argue but he’s not. He’s contributing to the defeats by not playing the right tactics/formation, or trying something new. Hence someone else could prob get more results out of this lot, whether it keeps us up or not I’m not sure but I’m convinced a change would result in better performances and poss results.

He twigged in his interview Piergianni added a physical presence up front late on at Exeter.

Pity he's never thought of that before 

36 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He twigged in his interview Piergianni added a physical presence up front late on at Exeter.

Pity he's never thought of that before 

We looked a lot more dangerous up front on Saturday when Dearnley and Hopcutt came on with Hope shifting out wide a bit. But starting Dearnley and Hopcutt means at least one of Bahamboula and DKD don’t start (even if Hope doesn’t play). Sometimes a load of units up front will cause problems for even Premier League defenders, so factor in Captain He-man and no wonder we looked threatening for the last 5 minutes. 

TBH I think most fans can see the strengths of Captain He-Man in the opposition box, if Curle decided to start Captain He-Man up front I think most fans would be willing to accept it.

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

Same squad? Kewell had McAleny and a fit Dearnley for starters. 

This was a post from an Exeter fan on a non football forum quite illuminating 

was at the game at St James Park, you were definitely the better team for the first 20 minutes or so, had 2 decent chances so should have been at least 1 - 0 up. What I did not understand was the persistence of the keeper rolling the ball out short from the back time after time as Oldham tried to play up field. Sure try that a few times, but once Exeter were expecting it it just put you under pressure. We were a little worried in the last 5 minutes in case you snatched a second goal. Exeter are now 14 unbeaten in the league (a club record) so I was pleased with the result

12 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

was at the game at St James Park, you were definitely the better team for the first 20 minutes or so, had 2 decent chances so should have been at least 1 - 0 up. What I did not understand was the persistence of the keeper rolling the ball out short from the back time after time as Oldham tried to play up field. Sure try that a few times, but once Exeter were expecting it it just put you under pressure. We were a little worried in the last 5 minutes in case you snatched a second goal. Exeter are now 14 unbeaten in the league (a club record) so I was pleased with the result

Send that to curle

50 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

I assume he can't kick it as they play short for goal kicks 

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

same squad last season. Curle had both for his period managing at end of season yet points per game were down after he took over. 

Ok, yep that's true.  But over a season going off PPG Kewell would have had us 18th (where we finished) and Curle would have had us 21st so not a huge difference.

The squad is worse this season. So dropping from 18th to the bottom 2 is not that much of a surprise, and I'm not convinced that Kewell would have had us any higher.

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

We looked a lot more dangerous up front on Saturday when Dearnley and Hopcutt came on with Hope shifting out wide a bit. But starting Dearnley and Hopcutt means at least one of Bahamboula and DKD don’t start (even if Hope doesn’t play). Sometimes a load of units up front will cause problems for even Premier League defenders, so factor in Captain He-man and no wonder we looked threatening for the last 5 minutes. 

TBH I think most fans can see the strengths of Captain He-Man in the opposition box, if Curle decided to start Captain He-Man up front I think most fans would be willing to accept it.

Ffs 😳… it wasn’t funny the first time…

4 minutes ago, Wardie said:

He's not exactly pulling up plants at Chesterfield, with five goals, but could well be playing a league above our strikers next season.

He pulled up a decent amount here is my point 

some - Mr Sinnot particularly slated him and others bored us to tears after he left 

whilst I would have myself with one leg over Hope I would welcome him back with open arms 

52 minutes ago, Wardie said:

He's not exactly pulling up plants at Chesterfield, with five goals, but could well be playing a league above our strikers next season.

He still gets into our team.

Watching Stockport against Bolton we are going to get absolutely smashed in the national league. Stockport are 11th they would wipe the floor with this Oldham team.

38 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

He pulled up a decent amount here is my point 

some - Mr Sinnot particularly slated him and others bored us to tears after he left 

whilst I would have myself with one leg over Hope I would welcome him back with open arms 

Not sure where to post this but looking at Stockport tonight makes you realise where we are in the hierarchy. I know it’s a cup game with a full house but your can see their set up is a world away from our ours. Look at the quality of their sponsors for one. 

We are a relic. There are at least 10

teams at tier five which, quite frankly, are better equipped for professional football than us, ready to take our place.

Our position in the football league is not a god given right. Relegation is not a desirable end but you are kidding yourself if you think our recovery will commence from a low of being bottom of the league. Any recovery will need to start from a much lower base. The worst is yet to come 

Archived