Relegation.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Rate that relegation, starting with your least enjoyable:

1st - 1994 - End of an era, looked fairly good odds to stay up until THAT goal shot confidence.

2nd - 2022 - Absolute disgraceful and sad that we're dropping out of league football, yet utterly deserved due to the way the club's being run.

3rd - 1997 - Bad management appointment and a tough one to take seeing as we were in the top flight only 3 years earlier.

4th - 2018 - Was bound to happen with the owners' interference.  Had hoped relegation would either make them change their ways or leave out of  embarrassment. Yet here we are...

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

1st - 1994 - End of an era, looked fairly good odds to stay up until THAT goal shot confidence.

2nd - 2022 - Absolute disgraceful and sad that we're dropping out of league football, yet utterly deserved due to the way the club's being run.

3rd - 1997 - Bad management appointment and a tough one to take seeing as we were in the top flight only 3 years earlier.

4th - 2018 - Was bound to happen with the owners' interference.  Had hoped relegation would either make them change their ways or leave out of  embarrassment. Yet here we are...

1st - 2022 (38 year old me is fucking gutted)

2nd -1997 (13yr old me "we are definitely smashing division 2)

3rd-1994 (Ten year old me convinced we'd bounce back immediately)

4th-2018 (resigned myself to being shite at that point but at least still a league club)

This has been without doubt the worst season in living memory and we are almost certain to be relegated which could be confirmed as early as 5.00pm on Saturday!

With all due respect, these players should not be anywhere near to representing our football club and would struggle to survive even in the National League.

The last few weeks has been heartbreaking, truly horrific, the likes of which I never want to see, ever again. We simply have to get these imbeciles out of our football club before the start of the new season. They have systematically destroyed every aspect of this club in what should have been our 125th celebratory year!!

I will not even consider buying a season ticket under this regime and whilst I understand that for some supporters there are good reasons to do so, I urge the vast majority to do the same!

I really hope we can secure new ownership within the next few months and if so will welcome the new season with renewed optimism even if we are in the National League, however, if AL & Co are still here come August that will be me finished.

I cannot and will not put up with this ridiculous charade any longer!!

On 4/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, JoeP said:

This one is worse than the others.

The premier league we were always going to come down at some point. I can't feel anything but admiration for the people involved at the club at that time.

What sets this apart is that you felt we had a chance of bouncing back from the other relegations we have no chance with this ownership of doing that next year. Even in 2018 you were prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt that they would learn lessons because it would be in their best interest to do so. In 4 years they have learned absolutely nothing which is down to nothing other than sheer arrogance.

1 minute ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Not trying to scaremonger with this stat (given last Friday though anything can happen) but if we lose on Saturday and both Barrow and Stevenage win, am I right in saying we could be relegated this weekend? 

Yes.

1 minute ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Not trying to scaremonger with this stat (given last Friday though anything can happen) but if we lose on Saturday and both Barrow and Stevenage win, am I right in saying we could be relegated this weekend? 

The thought makes me feel sick. 

Yep, we would be 7 points adrift with 6 to play for and the fat lady will be getting pissed at the aftershow

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Given recent results for Barrow and Stevenage, I think we're going to need to win all 3 to stand a chance.

And still require them to balls up at least 2 with their game in hand 

I think we are one Great Escape too far this time 

I've got say guys and gals I'm absolutely gutted at your current predicament, being a Bradford fan I've always loved our games. Despite being lower league encounters they always provide a great atmosphere and entertainment regardless of both teams lowly league status, and that enjoyment is in short supply in L2. Having seen how you always perform against us I struggle to see how you are where you are. I'm praying for our northern bros to perform a great escape. 

9 hours ago, Wyke-9 said:

I've got say guys and gals I'm absolutely gutted at your current predicament, being a Bradford fan I've always loved our games. Despite being lower league encounters they always provide a great atmosphere and entertainment regardless of both teams lowly league status, and that enjoyment is in short supply in L2. Having seen how you always perform against us I struggle to see how you are where you are. I'm praying for our northern bros to perform a great escape. 

Cheers Wyke, thanks for your best wishes. I love the fact that you and others from similar clubs have taken time to come on and wish us all the best. It's funny but football is so much more than the game itself, its about camaraderie amongst your own support group and others too, its about a meeting of like minded souls who can empathise with our joy, despair or loss (not much joy at Latics at the minute). 

Many other clubs have fallen out of the league, good clubs too - big city clubs Notts County, Bristol Rovers and York City to name but 3, old rivals from Divisions 1, 2 and 3 - Wrexham, Shrewsbury, Tranmere, Luton, Halifax, Grimsby, Chesterfield, Southport, Stockport - all have survived in one form or another. I have met and spoken to fans of all these clubs whilst we were still rivals in the football league and have shared conversations and discussions relating to each's plight (including our own). 

Latics will be back somehow, might not be quite in the same form as we leave the EFL (assuming we do) but as all these others have survived and some prospered again, let that be our guide in the dark days ahead.      

19 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Given recent results for Barrow and Stevenage, I think we're going to need to win all 3 to stand a chance.

A win for us tomorrow (unlikely) and defeats for Barrow & Stevenage would blow it wide open again!

If we win all three I think we stay up. 

Will we win all three?……will we fuck!

However, it’s shit or bust for us now and Salford will also be under pressure for different reasons.

Bollocks to a clean sheet we just have to score one more than them…simples!🤣

28 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Those were the days . . .

😢

Great days of my youth and early 20s, one of the good things of being 51 is that I saw some amazing things in the 70s, 80s and 90s watching this club, great memories.

Hopefully under new ownership ( one day soon I hope ) our younger fans may experience something similar to what I and many others did.

We will bounce back .

6 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

Great days of my youth and early 20s, one of the good things of being 51 is that I saw some amazing things in the 70s, 80s and 90s watching this club, great memories.

Hopefully under new ownership ( one day soon I hope ) our younger fans may experience something similar to what I and many others did.

We will bounce back .

I honestly think that if the current team can somehow rally and get 3 wins and we somehow survive, it would even trump the Great Escape of 1992/93 season, purely on the basis of how critical it could be to the club's very survival. 

Whilst it is undoubtedly squeaky bum time for all supporters and players of OAFC, it also offers some opportunities to Latics current players to go down in OAFC folklore as champions of our survival campaign - cometh the hour, cometh the man (or men) 

Sheridan's Blue & white army!!!!   

7 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

I honestly think that if the current team can somehow rally and get 3 wins and we somehow survive, it would even trump the Great Escape of 1992/93 season, purely on the basis of how critical it could be to the club's very survival. 

Whilst it is undoubtedly squeaky bum time for all supporters and players of OAFC, it also offers some opportunities to Latics current players to go down in OAFC folklore as champions of our survival campaign - cometh the hour, cometh the man (or men) 

Sheridan's Blue & white army!!!!   

Agree. this relegation would be far more disasterous. This game is bigger than that one was. if youre dead then you can't die.

10 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Is that tweet from George aka the famous Topoff? Wasn’t he banned by the 🤡🤡? Was the ban ever lifted?

It is George. He was banned from all football grounds by the courts, not the Lemsagams. Ban up soon and really seems to have matured into a nice fella...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived