BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 15th Nov '21 Episode 58: Boats & Mo's

What does the future of Oldham Athletic look like? How do we, as fans wish to shape the future success of our club? This week, Matt, Andy & Ste, discuss the merits of OASF & PTB working together on the proposed 1895 Fund, another abject performance and defeat to Exeter and the efforts made this week to get the message into 100,000 homes across the Oldham area.

Please help us do the work we do by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk/, subscribing and looking in our online shop. We'll be adding more products in the coming weeks and months and would be grateful if you purchased the odd one or two to show your support!

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Read more about FanHub here: https://fan-hub.com/

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at https://pushtheboundary.co.uk/ and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at http://www.trustoldham.org/

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at https://redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com/

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 15th Nov '21 Episode 58: Boats & Mo's

Re Foundation fundraising I agree with the views on the pod.  

I understood that there had been a fundraising event in the OEC a few weeks ago yet the figure on the website is unchanged from when the website launched.  If that figure is to be front and centre then it needs to be updated pretty much live.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I understood that there had been a fundraising event in the OEC a few weeks ago yet the figure on the website is unchanged from when the website launched.  If that figure is to be front and centre then it needs to be updated pretty much live.

This 100%

Another good listen that prompted lots of thoughts and recollections.

1.  I think this is a pivotal year for you. Whist staying up to struggle yet again next year would be unpalatable, going down could be worse. if you doubt me, look at Southend. The demise of Macclesfield meaning only three go down this season may be their best chance of staying up, as things stand.  The contributory issues aren't all the same, but clueless ownership is.

2. I think the fund raising - the how, why, what for - is interesting. We did quite a lot of due diligence back in 2017/18 about doing a community share offer, albeit it didn't come to anything in the end because (largely) of events in court. But Pompey went down that route and raised millions of pounds to buy their club ; you obviously would probably need smaller ambitions but if you get the three basic questions right it is worth putting some energy into. You need a paradigm shift, it seems to me - and it doesn't look likely to come from within your club.

3. This will contradict point 1, but sometimes attrition is what is needed. We protested outside the ground at every home game for four seasons before we saw any movement, and even then we needed leverage created elsewhere. But that constant activity kept us in people's minds. You have done some really good media awareness raising, but you probably need to do more. And I am a big fan of creative stunts, we did one or two ourselves.

4. I'm hoping the FLR announcement will be later this week, and if that doesn't force the club to engage with OASF then nothing will. It's an opportunity for every Supporters Trust in the country to re-calibrate its relationship with the club it is attached to. It will be harder for you than most - but on the other hand, the spectre of an independent regulator may well make owners like Abdallah wonder whether this is a business they want to be in. We are putting a fair amount of effort into thinking and trying to anticipate what we as a Trust will need to do and/or change to adapt to a changing legal and political environment.

• Bender featured this topic
12 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's a costing we are considering. 

It will be updated monthly, minimum after our board meetings. One of the chaps has been allocated this task. To compile and update it.

It can't be too far off now tbh.

13 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I understand there's a possibility my idea to raise a few more thousands from a celebrity race night could be taken up.

One @Dave_Og himself might well sponsor I feel.

11 hours ago, underdog said:

It's a costing we are considering. 

It will be updated monthly, minimum after our board meetings. One of the chaps has been allocated this task. To compile and update it.

It can't be too far off now tbh.

I really think it needs updating more often than that.  Anyone who checks a few times and sees no movement isn't going to be inspired to cough up.  Surely it can't cost much if anything to update a number on a website?  Really needs to gather momentum and that won't happen with monthly updates, especially when starting with such a low base.

14 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I really think it needs updating more often than that.  Anyone who checks a few times and sees no movement isn't going to be inspired to cough up.  Surely it can't cost much if anything to update a number on a website?  Really needs to gather momentum and that won't happen with monthly updates, especially when starting with such a low base.

Don't take this as a dig as it is not intended to be one but...

Why don't you offer to do it?

59 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Don't take this as a dig as it is not intended to be one but...

Why don't you offer to do it?

Fair enough - consider this an offer to do it @underdog bearing in mind that my idea of hi-tech is a ballpoint pen - if you turn it off and on again it generally works ok.  Whether it's efficient for someone who knows the numbers to tell me and get me to update rather than just updating them I wouldn't know

7 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Fair enough - consider this an offer to do it @underdog bearing in mind that my idea of hi-tech is a ballpoint pen - if you turn it off and on again it generally works ok.  Whether it's efficient for someone who knows the numbers to tell me and get me to update rather than just updating them I wouldn't know

I'm 76yo and a bit of a computer whiz kid? However, I've had enough in my time of dealing with money and people together, it's a worrying combination.

Good luck with the updating.

On 11/16/2021 at 10:31 AM, Dave_Og said:

Hi Dave, thanks for the offer.

However there some hurdles with it. One is website access to update the figure manually, not even I have access to the new website haha.

Also, access to OASF 1895 bank account too, to get the figure and only OASF directors have access to that too. We are though, on the look out for 1895 committee members to manage the fund with OASF and PTB. Ideally legal but any professional skills would be considered I am sure.

Send me a message if you are interested.

Cheers

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived