MATCH: vs Ipswich Town (H) 16/11/21 #FACup 1st Round Replay ๐Ÿ†

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Thought Whelan was man of the match, a couple of misplaced passes, but his effort was tremendous.

ย 

ย 

From the commentary, it did sound like he worked very hard though out the match. He is a skilful footballer and if he continues to work hard at the other aspects of his game we might have a very good player.ย 

Sounds like Fage did alright too.

ย 

Just seen their first goal - I mean it's bloody amateur night.ย  Curle might be rubbish but only someone exceptional will be able to make improvements.ย  Yeah, there might be a few minor tactical alterations we could try with this lot, but it probably won't make any difference.ย 

54 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Sounds like Fage did alright too.

ย 

Just seen their first goal - I mean it's bloody amateur night.ย  Curle might be rubbish but only someone exceptional will be able to make improvements.ย  Yeah, there might be a few minor tactical alterations we could try with this lot, but it probably won't make any difference.ย 

Quite.ย  We've played them twice and but for a missed penalty and a Sunday League level error we'd be in the next round.ย  Neither was Curle's fault.

Last night was the first game I have attended since pre covid.ย  Before covid I had been going with a friend and my dad for about 26 years and seen the steady decline both on and off the field.ย  Covid was obviously the main reasons that broke the tradition but during covid we had a second baby which took up a lot of time and made me reassess why I go, it wasnโ€™t for the poor football that has been on display the team ended up being a location where we could all meet up and catch up, the essence of a Saturday.ย  With less time and less inclination we all decided not to return with the standard of football not improving, the fan unrest and ultimately no real direction occurring for the football team.

I decided to go last night to meet up with a family friend who was going and thought why not.ย  It was eye opening all the things you kind of ignore when you were going regularly.ย 

The first thing you come across is a dark car park, full of pot holes, nowhere to walk safely for pedestrians including children and dodging between the cars.ย  Then you come to a choice of walking through mud up a slope or around on concrete which has what can only be described as a river running down it when raining with the land to the left overgrown.

You approach a turnstile (Rochdale Road End) and you are forced to have cash available to pay to get in, I know a lot of people carry cash but I donโ€™t tend to and have been attending a few non-league games recently where you can pay by card for everything.

The first thing you see on the floor is chunks of paint all over the floor where it has peeled off the walls followed by a refreshment area which looks like it hasnโ€™t been touched in the 26 years we have been going.ย  In this day and age it isnโ€™t hard to get a nice tasting hot drink but the tea and coffee look like something out of Alan Partridgeโ€™s travel tavern.

Then you go to the toilets which are appallingly falling apart, all the blue paint on the floor has rubbed off, signs on the door that say out of order and all advertising on the walls is either ripped, out dated or non-existent.

Inside the stadium I enjoyed seeing the pitch looking great as Tuesday nights always feel a better atmosphere and surprised by the number of people still attending who clearly have the love of Oldham at their heart and need to be congratulated.ย  We sit in the seats we used to have as season ticket holders and chat to the people who used to be sat around us when we went and this is what going to the game is all about, community, meeting friends and and conversation with everyone there.ย  One of the things that is always apparent and I feel is always missed by the club is the distinct lack of diversity within the ground. Oldham is one of the most diverse boroughs in Greater Manchester and this should be encouraged and celebrated within the ground, it should be a home for everyone and anyone.

ย 

Aside from the glaringly obvious issues of the ground the game was enjoyable and thought Oldham had enough in the first 70 minutes to win it as Ipswich were relatively poor.ย  As I say I havenโ€™t watched many games so many on here will know better than me and everyone on a message board has players they like and dislike but my view was the tactic of three slow central defenders spread across the pitch seems one that is doomed to fail week in week out and will ultimately lead to numerous goals being conceded.ย  In possession the tactic is fine but as soon as we lost possession in the wrong area the opposition only needed to play one ball down the wings and the defence were all over the place and we were in trouble.ย  A lot of the chances were down the wing and cut back for the arriving players.ย  If I was an opposition manager I would be targeting this area every week.

Why we have managers who insist on 1 upfront (Bhamba was not playing upfront) is beyond me, at home people want to be entertained and Hope just had no pace, strength or ability to play that role by himself.ย  Second half the lack of substitutions killed us and we had no real plan of what to do except go deeper and deeper and eventually the inevitable goal came.ย  Then there was no rush to get any subs on (too late anyway) and the subs were just like for like, almost as though we had given up, a strange parallel to how it feels a lot of supporters feel about the club.

ย 

To cap it off at the end you leave by the bottom of the stand straight into a pile of mud and puddles where you can either decide to jump/jog down a short but steep slow onto tarmac or skate further across the mud until you hit some form of hard ground before returning through the car park attempting to avoid car racing for the exit.

ย 

An experience I enjoyed for the nostalgia but not one I will be repeating anytime soon, an all-round sad state of affairs where a lot of improvements could be made quickly with the right people in the club. Enjoy packing the park on Saturday and hopefully when the stand, land and ground can be joined together a new owner or group of people who have the interest, desire, drive and fundamentally the club at their heart can bring back the lost fans and make some easy improvements.

2 hours ago, Matt60 said:

ย One of the things that is always apparent and I feel is always missed by the club is the distinct lack of diversity within the ground. Oldham is one of the most diverse boroughs in Greater Manchester and this should be encouraged and celebrated within the ground, it should be a home for everyone and anyone.

Matt - an issue brought up quite regularly. If you go back to the 80s there was, for example, the Polish and Ukrainian clubs in Glodwick. The man who ran the Polish ex servicemen's club took a crowd of people to Latics regularly and he was a staunch supporter for decades before he died. There was a reasonably sized West Indian community in Oldham too with Kittyman's club down Westwood and the Anglo West Indian club at Primrose Bank and Bergmans in town was the meeting place for many of West Indian descent. There was a group of West Indian lads that attended Latics regularly. A crowd from the Irish Land League club in town also used to frequent home and away games.ย 

ย 

All that diversity within the town (Irish, West Indian, Polish,Ukrainian) has largely disappeared (for various reasons) to be replaced largely by people of Asian descent. They do not, and never have, attended Latics (a few rare exceptions I know) nor ever will from what I am told (and it's nothing to do with any perceived racism from within our support).

ย 

ย 

48 minutes ago, Matt60 said:

Last night was the first game I have attended since pre covid.ย  Before covid I had been going with a friend and my dad for about 26 years and seen the steady decline both on and off the field.ย 

A brilliant read actually. If very sad. I'm sure many of us feel like this now. I wasn't going to go this season. Ended up with a season ticket and if it wasn't for the 4 people i sit near. Enjoyment would be near 0.ย 

ย 

On the diversity thing - you have to get kids hooked when they are young. I'm not sure how many schools latics has links with but for what ever reason we don't seem to do that.ย 

Could be 'cause of the red and light blue lot down the road, TV, social media etc. I know Waterhead Academy have some links with Man United and lets be honest. Who would you rather watch? Agent Ole and fading former best player in the world Ronaldo, Or Stubbon Curle and Hallam Hope who looks like he could play for years and not trouble the score sheet.ย  A team that has been successful and has a chance of doing well again or a club who might not be around in 10 years time. I can see why people don't want to watch us.ย 

ย 

ย 

1 hour ago, Matt60 said:

Last night was the first game I have attended since pre covid.ย  Before covid I had been going with a friend and my dad for about 26 years and seen the steady decline both on and off the field.ย  Covid was obviously the main reasons that broke the tradition but during covid we had a second baby which took up a lot of time and made me reassess why I go, it wasnโ€™t for the poor football that has been on display the team ended up being a location where we could all meet up and catch up, the essence of a Saturday.ย  With less time and less inclination we all decided not to return with the standard of football not improving, the fan unrest and ultimately no real direction occurring for the football team.

I decided to go last night to meet up with a family friend who was going and thought why not.ย  It was eye opening all the things you kind of ignore when you were going regularly.ย 

The first thing you come across is a dark car park, full of pot holes, nowhere to walk safely for pedestrians including children and dodging between the cars.ย  Then you come to a choice of walking through mud up a slope or around on concrete which has what can only be described as a river running down it when raining with the land to the left overgrown.

You approach a turnstile (Rochdale Road End) and you are forced to have cash available to pay to get in, I know a lot of people carry cash but I donโ€™t tend to and have been attending a few non-league games recently where you can pay by card for everything.

The first thing you see on the floor is chunks of paint all over the floor where it has peeled off the walls followed by a refreshment area which looks like it hasnโ€™t been touched in the 26 years we have been going.ย  In this day and age it isnโ€™t hard to get a nice tasting hot drink but the tea and coffee look like something out of Alan Partridgeโ€™s travel tavern.

Then you go to the toilets which are appallingly falling apart, all the blue paint on the floor has rubbed off, signs on the door that say out of order and all advertising on the walls is either ripped, out dated or non-existent.

Inside the stadium I enjoyed seeing the pitch looking great as Tuesday nights always feel a better atmosphere and surprised by the number of people still attending who clearly have the love of Oldham at their heart and need to be congratulated.ย  We sit in the seats we used to have as season ticket holders and chat to the people who used to be sat around us when we went and this is what going to the game is all about, community, meeting friends and and conversation with everyone there.ย  One of the things that is always apparent and I feel is always missed by the club is the distinct lack of diversity within the ground. Oldham is one of the most diverse boroughs in Greater Manchester and this should be encouraged and celebrated within the ground, it should be a home for everyone and anyone.

ย 

Aside from the glaringly obvious issues of the ground the game was enjoyable and thought Oldham had enough in the first 70 minutes to win it as Ipswich were relatively poor.ย  As I say I havenโ€™t watched many games so many on here will know better than me and everyone on a message board has players they like and dislike but my view was the tactic of three slow central defenders spread across the pitch seems one that is doomed to fail week in week out and will ultimately lead to numerous goals being conceded.ย  In possession the tactic is fine but as soon as we lost possession in the wrong area the opposition only needed to play one ball down the wings and the defence were all over the place and we were in trouble.ย  A lot of the chances were down the wing and cut back for the arriving players.ย  If I was an opposition manager I would be targeting this area every week.

Why we have managers who insist on 1 upfront (Bhamba was not playing upfront) is beyond me, at home people want to be entertained and Hope just had no pace, strength or ability to play that role by himself.ย  Second half the lack of substitutions killed us and we had no real plan of what to do except go deeper and deeper and eventually the inevitable goal came.ย  Then there was no rush to get any subs on (too late anyway) and the subs were just like for like, almost as though we had given up, a strange parallel to how it feels a lot of supporters feel about the club.

ย 

To cap it off at the end you leave by the bottom of the stand straight into a pile of mud and puddles where you can either decide to jump/jog down a short but steep slow onto tarmac or skate further across the mud until you hit some form of hard ground before returning through the car park attempting to avoid car racing for the exit.

ย 

An experience I enjoyed for the nostalgia but not one I will be repeating anytime soon, an all-round sad state of affairs where a lot of improvements could be made quickly with the right people in the club. Enjoy packing the park on Saturday and hopefully when the stand, land and ground can be joined together a new owner or group of people who have the interest, desire, drive and fundamentally the club at their heart can bring back the lost fans and make some easy improvements.

ย 

Excellent post, the access to other than the main stand is abysmal, having to walk in the dark through mud and negotiate slippery slopes is a disgrace to the club. Please can the OASF director insist something is done about this at the next board meeting and report back.

As for Curle's tactics you have only seen one game yet spotted exactly what has been wrong all season.

What galls fans is the manager keeps making the same mistakes over and over again while stubbornly insisting it will come good and Hope will score goals.ย 

Why won't he try full backs, wingers and two strikers, even play one of his bigger players up front to unsettle defenders? - No he persists with the light weights which are gobbled up easy meat in this division.

I watched Port Vale last week and they are exactly the opponents we have failed against many times and fear unless we match them for physicality this will be yet another home defeat.

It's obvious AL and Mo have thrown in the towel and aren't interested, even more so if we were cast adrift at the bottom of the league.

What I can't understand is why does ALย keep putting money in to pay the wage bill if this is the case?

As for Blitz he's had a stranglehold on the ground and is a big a part a problem as the owner. Both need to go, but what's the realistic solution?

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

If so why has that not been resolved?

ย 

Probably because the current trust seems to be more interested in trying to get the charlatan's out than sit in a completely pointless seat that only serves those who sell their soul to the devil

ย 

The club probably aren't too keen on any of them either

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

Excellent post, the access to other than the main stand is abysmal, having to walk in the dark through mud and negotiate slippery slopes is a disgrace to the club. Please can the OASF director insist something is done about this at the next board meeting and report back.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

That's really one for the Supporters' Liaison Officer - But I don't think we have one ofย  those anymore?

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Matt - an issue brought up quite regularly. If you go back to the 80s there was, for example, the Polish and Ukrainian clubs in Glodwick. The man who ran the Polish ex servicemen's club took a crowd of people to Latics regularly and he was a staunch supporter for decades before he died. There was a reasonably sized West Indian community in Oldham too with Kittyman's club down Westwood and the Anglo West Indian club at Primrose Bank and Bergmans in town was the meeting place for many of West Indian descent. There was a group of West Indian lads that attended Latics regularly. A crowd from the Irish Land League club in town also used to frequent home and away games.ย 

ย 

All that diversity within the town (Irish, West Indian, Polish,Ukrainian) has largely disappeared (for various reasons) to be replaced largely by people of Asian descent. They do not, and never have, attended Latics (a few rare exceptions I know) nor ever will from what I am told (and it's nothing to do with any perceived racism from within our support).

ย 

ย 

ย 

Yeah its good to know 30+ years ago this existed but shame it is gone for various reasons.ย  Perhaps the term diversity is the wrong one but as you say a large asian descent that i feel is never engaged with by the club.ย  It is almost to easy to say i hear they never will but i guess i am always someone who says that something can always be done and i would argue the club has done very little if anything meaningful to engage, recruit players they can associate with, engage with school children and encourage them into the club and the junior teams, go into those communities, appoint someone to the club from this type of background and speak to people in that community and understand the issues why they wont come (which the club might not be able to do anything about, but it is always worth knowing what they are), i just think time and again it is a missed opportunity but this is moving away from the original post which was just my experience last night and i hope for better in the future.

3 hours ago, Matt60 said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Much of what you say is 100% accurate and it's an embarrasing and sorry state of affairs.

ย 

Lets be honest, we all know that all off the issues both on the field and off it, will never be resolved or even improved until AL has well and truely pissed off and new owners are found.

ย 

ย 

ย 

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Anyway, the big topic....ย  Were the floodlights up to scratch?

ย 

Better, but still the ultra bright advertising hoardings meant players on the far side looked like shadows.ย 

Remind me one of my first tasks when I win the Euromillions and take over the club is to bin them for the old style boards.

You chaps gave us a battle over two games and can hold your heads high.ย  ย Didn't think we'd win the replay at Boundary Park and was a little concerned over the first tie at Portman Road but we made it through.ย ย 

ย 

Looks like we'll be involved in the third round too as we have a very winnable tie in the second round with Barrow but really Cup wins at Ipswich are as rare as sightings of Lord Lucan.ย  ย  ย Took a long range effort for us to win it and your goalkeeper was at fault of the first but applaud both teams for showing signs of character and determination.

ย 

Strongly feel Oldham have the attributes to get out of League Two, you just need to apply to the league what I've seen of these Cup games.ย  ย  ย Took a moment to think back 30 years when both clubs were on the verge of a return to the old first division and some exciting players and team community were clearly evident.ย  ย  You can't change or bring back the past but it's OK to reminisce every once in a while.ย  ย  ย 

5 minutes ago, Tractors Passing Through said:

You chaps gave us a battle over two games and can hold your heads high.ย  ย Didn't think we'd win the replay at Boundary Park and was a little concerned over the first tie at Portman Road but we made it through.ย ย 

ย 

Looks like we'll be involved in the third round too as we have a very winnable tie in the second round with Barrow but really Cup wins at Ipswich are as rare as sightings of Lord Lucan.ย  ย  ย Took a long range effort for us to win it and your goalkeeper was at fault of the first but applaud both teams for showing signs of character and determination.

ย 

Strongly feel Oldham have the attributes to get out of League Two, you just need to apply to the league what I've seen of these Cup games.ย  ย  ย Took a moment to think back 30 years when both clubs were on the verge of a return to the old first division and some exciting players and team community were clearly evident.ย  ย  You can't change or bring back the past but it's OK to reminisce every once in a while.ย  ย  ย 

ย 

At present the result of any individual game or tie is a complete irrelevance.ย  Still, it gave me six minutes to crow in a pub full of Ipswich fans last night which is about as good as it gets these days.

ย 

1 hour ago, ShireBlue said:

Whatโ€™s peopleโ€™s experience using the e-tickets and getting them scanned off a phone? I trust the technology, just not the clubโ€™s ability to implement it.

ย 

I saw someone go through last night with no problems.

ย 

Archived