We have a striker!

5 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

He will never force himself in front of our free scoring strikers.

Oh wait, we have no free scoring strikers. 

Even if he did he'd be left up on his own with no support, unlike with the youth team.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

To bring a promising youth player into the utter shambles of a first team set up we have at the moment could be the worst thing ever for his development.

True but we were awful under Banide / Dino when we promoted Emmerson to the first team (who is from the same cohort as the current youth team). He did OK and we probably improved his development. 

The risk is definitely there though. 

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

While Hope of course starts.

I am a little surprised @BP1960that you are advocating playing Jim Simms from the start against Port Vale…

Jim Simms is a young forward from our Academy who has not yet played in senior mens football. Granted he has scored a few at youth level but any step up should be managed carefully.

I would ignore the ‘he can’t be worse than or current strikers’ argument and ease him into the first team setup before we throw him on from the start. 

It would be good to see him on the bench at the weekend and then you never know…

You might as well say don't start Vaughan or Couto and remember  Emmerson played for us when 15yo. 

Hope has had enough chances and rarely looked likes scoring, Simms might just stick away one of the chances Hope never gets near to.

You won't know unless you try.

What I would say is Curle plays a different system than the youth team and that might not work for Simms.

Personally, I'd sooner see the youth team manager take over, I feel he could get something out of all our players with refreshingly different tactics from Curle.

The alternative is Carry on Curle, another comedy to add to the film series.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I agree with what you’re saying but If you’re good enough you’re old enough so they say!
If we didn’t have such a shite team we wouldn’t even be considering our young prospects!!!

desperate times, desperate measures

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You might as well say don't start Vaughan or Couto and remember  Emmerson played for us when 15yo. 

Hope has had enough chances and rarely looked likes scoring, Simms might just stick away one of the chances Hope never gets near to.

You won't know unless you try.

You seem to have missed the point I am making @BP1960

Vaughan and Couto were on the bench for a few games before making their debuts. The same goes for Luamba. I believe that this was also the case with Emerson too but I cannot remember that far back anymore 😊 Vaughan and Couto now start games because they were not simply thrown in at the deep end.

This gradual introduction, as you should know, is an approach that is in the best interests of the young lad. It allows the player to get used to being part of a match day squad and watch the flow of a game before making his debut.

@Dave_Og says ‘desperate times, desperate measures’ and sometimes that can reap rewards. However in the case of Simms I would adopt a more cautious approach.

14 hours ago, wiseowl said:

To bring a promising youth player into the utter shambles of a first team set up we have at the moment could be the worst thing ever for his development.

Yeah. You only have to look how first team Football this season has ansolutely destroyed the careers of youth players such as Couto, Vaughan and Luamba.

Hang on..

Luamba is injured and Couto looks knackered, perhaps because they've been pushed into the first team a shade too quickly.

Vaughan has progressed at a sedate rate by being used sparingly.

The point's already been made that, although all look decent prospects, their progress into the first team must be on a managed basis not just because we're a bit desperate !  

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

You seem to have missed the point I am making @BP1960

Vaughan and Couto were on the bench for a few games before making their debuts. The same goes for Luamba. I believe that this was also the case with Emerson too but I cannot remember that far back anymore 😊 Vaughan and Couto now start games because they were not simply thrown in at the deep end.

This gradual introduction, as you should know, is an approach that is in the best interests of the young lad. It allows the player to get used to being part of a match day squad and watch the flow of a game before making his debut.

@Dave_Og says ‘desperate times, desperate measures’ and sometimes that can reap rewards. However in the case of Simms I would adopt a more cautious approach.

If he's been in regular training with the first team he will have started sessions anyway.

Throw him in at the deep end alongside Dearnley, we could always bring on supersub Hope if it doesn't work.🙂

I know nothing about Simms but at what 17? it's a big ask for him to step up into the league. If nothing else the Physicality of league football can really show. Emmerson was the same, got bullied easily,  I know he was a real young kid but i never thought he was going to do much when he came on. Not his fault at all, but really it was a bit soon for him.  I would imagine its the same for Simms. 

Couto has done well but his fitness isn't totally there yet and teams have looked to target him. At Rochdale he adapted and did brilliantly but he can't be expected to do it every week. If we could i would be taking him out of the firing line for a bit. Looks a good player but last thing we want to do is ruin his confidence by over playing him in a side getting tonked week in week out. 

The experience will do them all good but they aren't ready for regular contributions spots - yet. 

14 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

I know nothing about Simms but at what 17? it's a big ask for him to step up into the league. If nothing else the Physicality of league football can really show. Emmerson was the same, got bullied easily,  I know he was a real young kid but i never thought he was going to do much when he came on. Not his fault at all, but really it was a bit soon for him.  I would imagine its the same for Simms. 

Couto has done well but his fitness isn't totally there yet and teams have looked to target him. At Rochdale he adapted and did brilliantly but he can't be expected to do it every week. If we could i would be taking him out of the firing line for a bit. Looks a good player but last thing we want to do is ruin his confidence by over playing him in a side getting tonked week in week out. 

The experience will do them all good but they aren't ready for regular contributions spots - yet. 

The thing is do you continue with Hope who never looks in a position to score or a lad who knows where the net is?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

If he's been in regular training with the first team he will have started sessions anyway.

Throw him in at the deep end alongside Dearnley, we could always bring on supersub Hope if it doesn't work.🙂

Watch the Simms hat trick on the official Twitter feed. I think that he has a bit of growing to do before he starts in the league 👍

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Watch the Simms hat trick on the official Twitter feed. I think that he has a bit of growing to do before he starts in the league 👍

I saw him up against two big strong cente backs at Carlisle youth and he managed to score there.

He might just have the knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Archived