MATCH: vs Port Vale (H) 20/11/21

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LaticsLegend said:

Keepers average.

Is there anyone except Curle who thinks Adams is fit enough to play wing back?

Pidge great in the air but a disaster on the deck.

Hart not match fit.

Cisse the same, and not convinced he gives us what we need when he is.

Rest of the midfield too lightweight, no grit.

Probably missed Bahamboula but hasn't done much this season anyway.

Absolutely nothing sticks upfront, no centre forward in the squad.

Not sure what Hopcutt is.

Dearnley a second striker at best.

DKD would be perfect if you could play 12 men. Only real source of goals.

System doesn't work, no real tactics.

Could go on and on...

This team goes down unless we find a miracle in January.

30 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Only joking....

but you weren’t…

can you do another summary now that the game is over? 😃

53 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Pidge up front. 

Pretty sure someone in here suggested that. 

Does Keith read the forum??

50 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

That would be me

Ah but I predicted a front 4 of Hope Dearnley Hopcutt and Pidge would cause most defences problems. 

Bizzare game. Vale into us quickly and physically and as expected score from a move out wide and cross into the box. 

We equalise and the stop start nature of the first half stops Vale building pressure. 

2nd half they pile pressure down the flanks score and create more chances.

Then at the end we use pidge in the air and they fall to pieces from set plays again... Never seen a team so weak in the air.. 

Papers over the cracks slightly. 

Still wide open due to curles 352. 

You will struggle to find a worse performance than cisse put in while he's on the pitch. 

Hopcut didn't do a great deal. 

Dearnly had bright moments but clearly not fit. 

We needed a win from nowhere and we got it. Now we need to build some results.

Decided in the end to go today! Glad I did actually. 
Stole 3 points there, but who cares! They were the better side for the majority and must be spewing going home with zero points, but they simply weren’t clinical enough and our keeper made some decent saves too. 
One thing that did please me today was the fighting spirit we showed. Thats the minimum I expect and today to be fair they delivered on that.

Curle was getting stick for the majority from the main stand and was shouting “fuck you” towards the crowd after the 3rd which shows he’s feeling the pressure! 

I quite enjoyed that today, how Vale didn't win that game god only knows. 2nd half they ripped us apart but fair play to Latics they stuck at it and showed some fight. Adams is not a wing back, he has ability but he can't keep bombing up and down. Pidge has his limitations but we would have been smashed without him. A much needed 3 points and great support from the home fans. 

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

but you weren’t…

can you do another summary now that the game is over? 😃

Only things I'd change are Hart not being match fit - that run to the bench after the winner showed how much energy he had left.... & us needing a miracle to stay up. The quality of this league is bad enough for us to survive even with this lot.

The rest I stand by!

17 minutes ago, daniel said:

Curle was getting stick for the majority from the main stand and was shouting “fuck you” towards the crowd after the 3rd which shows he’s feeling the pressure! 

As if it was a stroke of Ferguson esque genius that an opposition player puts in their own net?

Only disappointing thing about the result is it means at least another game with that clueless tit in charge 

A wonderous result out of confusion and the awful back 3 strategy. After the unfit Cisse went off it reminded me of playground kick and rush and then Pidge went up top leaving a big hole at the back.

How we won I don’t know but a win was so sweet.

Can not criticise the players or the manager for their desire.

1 hour ago, Dickie Down said:

Did the introduction of Hope turn it round?

No, did nothing, the difference was when Couto came on and joined Hart in attacking the Port Vale defence with determination.

Cisse and Hopcutt looked way off the pace and Adams was poor.

On the plus side Dearnley looked a lot sharper.

I'll give Hart man of the match for his name matched what the showed today...heart.

A very dysfunctional performance, but a welcome 3 points.

51 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

As if it was a stroke of Ferguson esque genius that an opposition player puts in their own net?

Only disappointing thing about the result is it means at least another game with that clueless tit in charge 

Curle got away with that one, Port Vale will wonder how they didn't come away with  scoring 6 goals.

It doesn't hide the fact 3 centre backs tactic was again took apart.

He was fortunate Hart played in this game as without his sheer determination late on they would have lost.

A very pleasant change this season to watch Latics battle to the end, shift tactics when it was necessary, and get a slice of luck 

Vale showed what is needed in this div, power and pace, plus desire - but not putting chances away cost them

mom - pierrgianni, magnificently aerial domination at the back and caused many problems up front 

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

No, did nothing, the difference was when Couto came on and joined Hart in attacking the Port Vale defence with determination.

Cisse and Hopcutt looked way off the pace and Adams was poor.

On the plus side Dearnley looked a lot sharper.

I'll give Hart man of the match for his name matched what the showed today...heart.

A very dysfunctional performance, but a welcome 3 points.

I had a similar view of the game as @BP1960, but disagree on Jamie Hopcutt, he looked decent early on but by the end was out on his feet.

Really poor decision to start Ouss Cisse, clearly not ready, wasnt attempting to jump or tackle.

Introducing Benny was pivotal, he adds so much, not just a useful throw and dead ball.

If Benny can start with Sam, we will be much more creative.

Centre midfield and centre forward are still major problems, only fixable if EFL loan restrictions are addressed.

Sam Hart clearly man if the match, did well to refrain from chinning Worrall.

Won the game against the odds, without our best player, reasons to be cheerful tonight.

Enjoyed the atmosphere in BP, crowd was 5,000 plus. The reports of floodlights being fixed were wide of the mark.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

I didn't think Curle was shouting that more a case of "(Fucking) Get In". But I'm not close enough to hear him and my mask, glasses and the weather combo made it harder to lip read than normal. 

He was acting a bit out of character though, I don't think I've seen him trying to gee up the crowd as much as he did today. I think Curle thought his job was in danger with a poor performance today. 

Think Hart running towards the assistant manager after his role in the last 2 goals shows the team spirit. But from what I hear (mainly from Roy and Mikey, who are a bit biased) Hart is a good character for the dressing room, so it might just be Hart being Hart. 

Today's result honestly shows how poor this league is, they are still in the automatic promotion places and you can sort of see why, especially as they're main striker was injured today. But they were definitely not something special. 

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

You will struggle to find a worse performance than cisse put in while he's on the pitch. 

Said it before Cisse is Fane, Sylla revisited!!

Fane is a better play that cisse has shown far. 

Mosre destructive in the tackle, better in the air and although his passing was limited its still better than cisse

3 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

Fane is a better play that cisse has shown far. 

Mosre destructive in the tackle, better in the air and although his passing was limited its still better than cisse

Looking where Fane ended up that doesn't sound encouraging, despite dome of the bizarre predictionsmade about him early doors by some. I've seen Cisse once and whike he looks like he can put in a tackle his footballing ability is limited at best. I saw lads playing 6th tier South today would probably be technically  better than him.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

I didn't think Curle was shouting that more a case of "(Fucking) Get In". But I'm not close enough to hear him and my mask, glasses and the weather combo made it harder to lip read than normal. 

He was acting a bit out of character though, I don't think I've seen him trying to gee up the crowd as much as he did today. I think Curle thought his job was in danger with a poor performance today. 

Think Hart running towards the assistant manager after his role in the last 2 goals shows the team spirit. But from what I hear (mainly from Roy and Mikey, who are a bit biased) Hart is a good character for the dressing room, so it might just be Hart being Hart. 

Today's result honestly shows how poor this league is, they are still in the automatic promotion places and you can sort of see why, especially as they're main striker was injured today. But they were definitely not something special. 

100% was shouting “fuck you” I was 3 yards from him celebrating at the front. To be fair he was looking in the direction of the directors box, but doubtful he’d be shouting that too his employers, although he may be as pissed off as we are with them haha!

That was my first game since the opening day.

I’m genuinely shocked at how bad we are. I knew it must be bad but… wow…

But Vale couldn’t handle the chaos when we just started lumping men forward. Play that game ten more times and they’d win it every time. We’re a non league outfit in every way.

Having said that, I appreciate this is a bit churlish when we’ve actually won. Good spirit in the last 15 mins because in the previous 30 they’d started to look lost and frightened. So fair play for building up some momentum and getting the points.

Archived