Curle Gone

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd take it.  My last two jobs, 13 years apart both ended in difficult though very different circumstances.  Sign the agreement, take the money, move on, put it firmly in the past

And let cover ups continue?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Interesting comments from Suzanne Geldard in The Oldham Times.

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/latics/19741103.keith-curle-laid-foundations-behind-scenes-oldham/ 

I never doubted he was a nice guy and no one goes out of their way to fail

he was a fool to take the poisoned chalice - as will be the next guy 

Just now, Chaddyexile84 said:

I never doubted he was a nice guy and no one goes out of their way to fail

he was a fool to take the poisoned chalice - as will be the next guy 

Was he fool though?

It was interesting when she said ‘he doesn’t need the money’ we often say- why would anyone take the job. . But actually they’ll always be takers.

It’s could be-

Earn a few quid 

Your first crack at management. 
Your in last chance salon 

Or even (as in Curle’s case) I don’t need the money but it’s better than being sat at home doing nowt. 

52 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Interesting comments from Suzanne Geldard in The Oldham Times.

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/latics/19741103.keith-curle-laid-foundations-behind-scenes-oldham/ 

So he was a good manager because he gave her a tour of the shite facilities and moved some gym equipment around. 

I am sure every manager changes things to their way and looks to improve things. He was nothing short of terrible, his win percentage, brand of football and formation proves that. Bye Keith 

Just now, League one forever said:

Was he fool though?

It was interesting when she said ‘he doesn’t need the money’ we often say- why would anyone take the job. . But actually they’ll always be takers.

It’s could be-

Earn a few quid 

Your first crack at management. 
Your in last chance salon 

Or even (as in Curle’s case) I don’t need the money but it’s better than being sat at home doing nowt. 

Out of all those reasons to be a manger, that last reason you stated is one I would stay far from. 

He will say he gave it his all, and people in that situation always do. But in the back of their mind, they know they don’t need to push that extra yard or work that little bit harder. A huge generalisation admittedly but he’s managing Oldham. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Out of all those reasons to be a manger, that last reason you stated is one I would stay far from. 

He will say he gave it his all, and people in that situation always do. But in the back of their mind, they know they don’t need to push that extra yard or work that little bit harder. A huge generalisation admittedly but he’s managing Oldham. 

Yeah, good shout. If you don’t need the money,  I’d imagine that hunger is still there in the first couple of jobs. Professional pride etc.

But when it’s your 7/8th crack at doing the job, and people keep telling you to change 3 at the back. . . No wonder he allegedly told fans to fuck off. 😂

55 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

So he was a good manager because he gave her a tour of the shite facilities and moved some gym equipment around. 

I am sure every manager changes things to their way and looks to improve things. He was nothing short of terrible, his win percentage, brand of football and formation proves that. Bye Keith 

No mention why he  persisted with failed tactics for so long?

56 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, good shout. If you don’t need the money,  I’d imagine that hunger is still there in the first couple of jobs. Professional pride etc.

But when it’s your 7/8th crack at doing the job, and people keep telling you to change 3 at the back. . . No wonder he allegedly told fans to fuck off. 😂

I'd say it was the majority of  people who told him to change his back 3, Some fans actually know more about the game than some managers.

We actually stand a chance of staying up now he's gone . I'm not interested on how accommodating he was around the training facilities or how polite he was or that he was doing latics a favour by being our coach , I'm judging him on his sub standard performance in charge and it certainly warranted him being fired.

21 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I'd say it was the majority of  people who told him to change his back 3, Some fans actually know more about the game than some managers.

Its easy for people to slate fans for their opinions on tactics and formations just because they have never played the game at a professional level, I haven't but played many games since being old enough to kick a ball upto  about 42. We fans can see things that need changing but I imagine coaches and managers alike don't want to change things because they are to stubborn to or just set in their ways.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

He took it straight back, spiteful. 

He was a weird bloke, still is. Watching him warm up before coming on to play in the 10 role was hilarious. 

He made an impact against Middlesbrough in the league cup in fairness, think he hit the bar. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

He was a weird bloke, still is. Watching him warm up before coming on to play in the 10 role was hilarious. 

He made an impact against Middlesbrough in the league cup in fairness, think he hit the bar. 

I can hit the bar, I can drink as much whiskey as anyone. 😋

'Curle oversaw just 40 matches, meaning not a single one of the last 14 permanent appointments at Oldham have reached the 50-game mark. This dates back to the exit of Lee Johnson (103) back in February 2015'. 

Commentary from the latest betting odds. Damning isn't it and evidence of very, very poor ownership. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Marc Bircham 5/2 for the job, that would be interesting.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59421832

You would only want Michael Flynn or maybe John McGreal from the names on the betting odds but no chance of either. Looks like Selim has been earmarked for the job from day one. Likely to be Almo's worst ever decision which is some going!!!

Archived