BPAS PODCAST: 29th Nov '21 Episode 60: The Real Selim Shady

Where do we go from here? Part 97.

You can now support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 here. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone, but we'll throw the odd bonus episode your way by way of thanks should you choose to.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Read more about FanHub here

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.com

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

Absolutely spot on and completely true.

I have watching Latics for 63 years, but the present situation is sickening me to the core. 

I live 100 miles away from bp, and can no longer stomach the utter mess that we are in, so the decision has been  made that I am not going again until the present regime have officially gone.

I just don't see any other way, and see no hope until they leave.

• Matt featured this topic
3 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

Absolutely spot on and completely true.

I have watching Latics for 63 years, but the present situation is sickening me to the core. 

I live 100 miles away from bp, and can no longer stomach the utter mess that we are in, so the decision has been  made that I am not going again until the present regime have officially gone.

I just don't see any other way, and see no hope until they leave.

V sad 100 but fully appreciate what you are saying. Hurts like hell to stop following the club you've supported since knee high to a grasshopper. I took the same decision as you but a lot earlier, having seen right through this regime long ago. The worrying thing is that we've been well "in the shite" several times in the past.but this time, more than any previous time, there is such a massive disconnect with "dyed in the wool" fans. The utter lack of giving a damn for what we think is, for me, the most worrying sign of all. I still hold out hope that Blitz will eventually "save the day" (I know, I know but I think he will in the final analysis) - if he doesn't, then there is no doubt in my mind that we are doomed as a professional football club - and doomed pretty quickly.

23 hours ago, wiseowl said:

V sad 100 but fully appreciate what you are saying. Hurts like hell to stop following the club you've supported since knee high to a grasshopper. I took the same decision as you but a lot earlier, having seen right through this regime long ago. The worrying thing is that we've been well "in the shite" several times in the past.but this time, more than any previous time, there is such a massive disconnect with "dyed in the wool" fans. The utter lack of giving a damn for what we think is, for me, the most worrying sign of all. I still hold out hope that Blitz will eventually "save the day" (I know, I know but I think he will in the final analysis) - if he doesn't, then there is no doubt in my mind that we are doomed as a professional football club - and doomed pretty quickly.

It's never been this bad, though. There literally seems no hope. I can see why dyed in the wool fans are walking away - there's nothing left of the club that existed even just 4 years ago. The club's an empty shell and a million miles from the one all of us fell in love with.

Saturday seemed significant. Sacking Curle should have opened the door for a "Shezurrection"-style move, but the game against Salford was worse than anything under Curle, and that's some achievement (and I appreciate it's harsh judging Selim after just one game).  There seems no desire from the players to get stuck in - our only plan to score a goal was whack it to Dearnley and hope he beats 4 defenders.  The knocking it about at the back from goal-kicks just smacks of someone on the coaching staff (or Sporting Director level, maybe..) watching some presentation on how they're playing the game in top-level Europe and trying to get low-level players at the bottom of League Two to recreate it.

The fans are screaming at the owners to leave, but it's like they're screaming in space. No one seems to hear them.  There was a level of toxicity amongst the fans on Saturday, but the overall feeling I got was complete resignation to the fact that we're going down and the club's had it

I found that really interesting, if somewhat depressing.

From the outside, your club looks like it is being starved by neglect, rather than anything more wicked of the kind that we experienced. The end result is very similar, but I think it was easier for us to unite against a regime that in the latter days went out of its way to be confrontational and obnoxious. I think that conversation at the very end of the Pod was the nub of it for me - you're not quite uniting behind the campaign because it isn't sufficiently black and white for some elements of the support to align behind, even now. People, generally speaking, are unhappy with binary choices when it is them who is having to make them. 

One thing that didn't come out in the way I maybe expected was what happens in 2022/23, especially if you do go down? I reckon half the National League would be quite comfortable and competitive in L2, as Southend are finding out. Without a change or regime (or approach) this season may not actually be the worst of it for you. All of which suggests that head has to rule heart in terms of boycotting - but I know from personal experience that it is a bloody painful choice to have to make.

On the fan-led review ; I co-authored the Chapter of the FSA evidence on the independent regulator so it was interesting to hear what you thought. I agree it needs sharp teeth, hence the recommendation that we go down the legislative route. I don't think that will be in place until early in 2023, personally, although I hope it will be quicker. As cavalry goes, it is riding to the rescue a bit slower than is ideal for you.  

On the finance side you are right to point to fact that the current distribution is grotesquely skewed in favour of the EPL, which is probably why the senior people at Villa, Leeds and Palace have been wheeled out to rubbish the Review this week. I think the transfer levy should be jacked up from 4% to at least 10% personally, and if it were up to me there would be a levy on the betting companies as well, who do prodigiously well out of football. 

Keep the faith.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived