Prediction League next season

oafcmetty

Hi all - as you're probably aware @Bristolatic is stepping away from the PL next season, after many years hard work. Probably fair enough I reckon!

I'm happy to keep going with running the backend system, and will pick up the bits he used to do in that regard too - all the admin such as sending reminder emails, maintaining the users, working out the league structure at the start, entering results and pressing the buttons so it calculates scores etc. However I don't have time to do the write ups in here every week. As such, would anyone like to volunteer to do the match by match updates? It's not a difficult job - I'd just give you a nudge when the updated league tables are ready, you then just need to do the write up in here. If we don't get a volunteer we can still run the league, it'll just be up to the individual to go and check the league tables etc to see how they've got on, who the movers and shakers are, etc. I'm assuming @Stevie_J is happy to keep running the cup competition?

On another note, unfortunately we've reached the end of our free 12m of Microsoft provided services, so they're now charging us for hosting etc. It's not much - £10-£15/month depending on volume of usage. I'll continue funding through to the end of this season, but then for next season on we'll need to increase the entry fee - this is currently £5, and will go up to £10. I'll use this to fund the running of the site for the season, and split whatever's left 50:50 between the OWTB running costs and the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation. Based on the same number of users as this year (and the higher running cost estimate), this'd actually increase the money split between the later two by around £50 each, so hopefully not too contentious!

We didn't offer prizes this year, but that's something we could look at, if people were ok with increasing the entry cost to £15 or £20. Happy to take comments below.

On 4/1/2022 at 1:51 PM, oafcmetty said:

Hi all - as you're probably aware @Bristolatic is stepping away from the PL next season, after many years hard work. Probably fair enough I reckon!

I'm happy to keep going with running the backend system, and will pick up the bits he used to do in that regard too - all the admin such as sending reminder emails, maintaining the users, working out the league structure at the start, entering results and pressing the buttons so it calculates scores etc. However I don't have time to do the write ups in here every week. As such, would anyone like to volunteer to do the match by match updates? It's not a difficult job - I'd just give you a nudge when the updated league tables are ready, you then just need to do the write up in here. If we don't get a volunteer we can still run the league, it'll just be up to the individual to go and check the league tables etc to see how they've got on, who the movers and shakers are, etc. I'm assuming @Stevie_J is happy to keep running the cup competition?

On another note, unfortunately we've reached the end of our free 12m of Microsoft provided services, so they're now charging us for hosting etc. It's not much - £10-£15/month depending on volume of usage. I'll continue funding through to the end of this season, but then for next season on we'll need to increase the entry fee - this is currently £5, and will go up to £10. I'll use this to fund the running of the site for the season, and split whatever's left 50:50 between the OWTB running costs and the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation. Based on the same number of users as this year (and the higher running cost estimate), this'd actually increase the money split between the later two by around £50 each, so hopefully not too contentious!

We didn't offer prizes this year, but that's something we could look at, if people were ok with increasing the entry cost to £15 or £20. Happy to take comments below.

I'd happily pay more £20 as a one off isn't so bad each year and goes to good causes.

I'd add "especially if prizes were involved" but looking at my performance this year they are unlikely to apply to me in any event 

Thanks for all the effort @Bristolatic enjoy your retirement and to @oafcmetty and @Stevie_J far too often these days the only enjoyment from OAFC is this league 

@oafcmetty your post made me realise that I completely forgot to run this year’s cup competition. I had a lot going on at the time I’d usually start it and with that and my dwindling interest in Latics (which has been remedied some by Shez’s return) it went clean out of my head. Unfortunately, it’s too late to do anything about it now. I’ll do better next season! Apologies everyone!

Archived