Andy Gorton

Following on from a Twitter poll about ex Latics keepers was stunned to learn he only played 26 games for us.I thought he was a fantastic keeper,fearless and a superb shot stopper.As I was very young at the time does anyone else have recollections of him,as I recall Big Joe had sold Goram thinking Gorton was his ready made replacement !That obviously didn’t go to plan.Although i remember he was given a second chance in 1990 but never played a game and was subsequently released.Cult hero for sure!

Remember being on a Barlows coach and we were supposed to pick him up on the way to a game but he didn't show up, iirc correctly his dad was on the coach waiting for him as well.

Goram is the best keeper I've seen at Latics in nearly 40 years of watching us, on the old plastic one on one you'd back him every time, Gorton had promise but wasn't a patch on Goram and wasted any opportunities he may of had with his behaviour off the pitch.

One of the best goalkeeping performances i've ever seen when we played Everton away in a League Cup tie in which Irwin put us in front from a freekick only for Neil Adams to get the winner for Everton 5 minutes from time. Without Gorton that night God knows what score it would have been.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Remember being on a Barlows coach and we were supposed to pick him up on the way to a game but he didn't show up, iirc correctly his dad was on the coach waiting for him as well.

Goram is the best keeper I've seen at Latics in nearly 40 years of watching us, on the old plastic one on one you'd back him every time, Gorton had promise but wasn't a patch on Goram and wasted any opportunities he may of had with his behaviour off the pitch.

I think Goram must have the distinction of being the only goalkeeper who was both the best and worse of them for us

I still have nightmares about that Cardiff match 

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I think Goram must have the distinction of being the only goalkeeper who was both the best and worse of them for us

Bit unfair to compare the end of his career with his pomp. 

He still gets an airing every time they show THAT Gazza goal at Wembley. 

13 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

I think Gorton had left the club when Goram was sold to Hibs in September 87.

I remember Rhodes coming in as number one but I also remember Lance Key and a few others coming in and out.

Gorton definitely started the season after Goram left.Rhodes came in after and initially struggled.Lance Key played a good few years after on loan from Sheff Weds I think.Keeley was the keeper signed after Rhodes left.

11 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Although not as bad as Grobelaar.

9 hours ago, GrahamHughes said:

Gorton definitely started the season after Goram left.Rhodes came in after and initially struggled.Lance Key played a good few years after on loan from Sheff Weds I think.Keeley was the keeper signed after Rhodes left.

Key only played a few games, one stormer at Chelsea

Archived