OASF/PTB joint fans forum

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Blitz is open to sitting around the table and negotiating, clearly. 

So he says… been saying that for years. 

The patience some show with this guy amazes me.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just watched quite  a lot of it back. Will spend more time on it over the weekend.

I think that people do need to appreciate that some of the initiatives talked about tonight are not mutually exclusive. You can raise funds and boycott at the same time, for example. And you can do both of those things while protesting, making a nuisance of yourselves with the National League and putting the likes of TalkSport back in their box. Being able and willing to fight on multiple fronts is part of the answer, but you can't expect a dozen people who are already overworked and knackered to do it all for you.

This £6m figure is a red herring as well. Our owner paid less than £8m to buy a mid-table L1 club with a hotel and (crap) training ground thrown in.  When OAFC does eventually change hands it will be for a fraction of what AL hopes to get, and that fraction will be smaller still if you starve him of income and make it even more of a buyer's market than it already is.

You really do need to help yourselves by spreading the burden now, and being prepared to make real sacrifices. 

2 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I've just watched quite  a lot of it back. Will spend more time on it over the weekend.

I think that people do need to appreciate that some of the initiatives talked about tonight are not mutually exclusive. You can raise funds and boycott at the same time, for example. And you can do both of those things while protesting, making a nuisance of yourselves with the National League and putting the likes of TalkSport back in their box. Being able and willing to fight on multiple fronts is part of the answer, but you can't expect a dozen people who are already overworked and knackered to do it all for you.

This £6m figure is a red herring as well. Our owner paid less than £8m to buy a mid-table L1 club with a hotel and (crap) training ground thrown in.  When OAFC does eventually change hands it will be for a fraction of what AL hopes to get, and that fraction will be smaller still if you starve him of income and make it even more of a buyer's market than it already is.

You really do need to help yourselves by spreading the burden now, and being prepared to make real sacrifices. 

It’s not 8m

It’s 14m

17 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

The foundation literally spoke to the man this week ? 

Im not a fan of his, but he holds the cards to get us out of this mess, whether you like it or not! 

18 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

No, sorry, that won’t do.

They effectively caused a lengthy delay in any other action by laying out a ‘plan’ that they said would lead to something significant. 

The OEC and its relationship with Blitz is part of the problem. It’s self serving and it can’t be trusted.

Boycott them.

I was surprised PTB/OASF used Blitz’s asset and the OEC business for this meeting. Now I hope they never even consider doing it again. Stop feeding the parasite. 

It’s difficult to gauge your impartiality when it comes to the FLG and calling for boycotts as you clearly have a personal issue with Simon Brooke for whatever reason. 

What is their relationship with Blitz other than presumably paying him rent as a tenant?

47 minutes ago, wroteforluck87 said:

The problem for me is that FLG currently appear to be another entity taking money out of the club but that it is hard to criticise when PTB and OASF are actively asking fans to starve out ALMO, I cannot think of a reason why the FLG wouldn't openly state that they wish to eventually become part of OASF/FLG long term vision for the club, I'd also like to see them donate a percentage of there earnings to the 1895 fund if they truly are in this for the benefit of OAFC as they originally stated.

Rather than boycotting the OEC, I think this approach is the right one - they are the most local of businesses so an arrangement for donations from the OEC to the 1895 fund from takings is a very good idea as part of a fans partnership of sorts and encouraging oafc fans to use it as much as possible. 

It could also be a useful marketing tool for any local business! Eg if oafc fans take advantage of offer xyz then %age goes to the fund.

3 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

its actually 2 X £6M believe it or not. maybe that's what pete was on about.

disclaimer: l know he wasnt

Sorry to be critical of those who are more engaged and passionate than I am but the messaging doesn't seem aligned.

On one hand it is boycott is the only option and will definitely force the owner out, there are parties queuing up to buy and Blitz is a willing seller (although nobody knows for how much) then on the other it is nobody is going to help us and we need to raise 6 million quid (up from 2 million)

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

ps where can l watch/listen to this?

It's on YouTube, type in OASF and you will find it.

Going back to last night I thought all the women who spoke held the room well, going forward I'd suggest the whole fan base has representation as the demographic of those involved currently is pretty standard and differing experiences and skill sets need to be brought to the table.

My overriding feeling is though I haven't been convinced by this let's have your money and we'll buy the ground for a number of reasons;

If I pledge a four figure sum to this project how is that money protected, if we get new owners two years down the line and that fund isn't needed then what happens to the money that's been invested? I'd hate for some ego within OASF to start using that money to manipulate their own position (we have history) and like previous monies myself and my family raised it will be spunked on a whim to fuel one persons agenda, now I know three people have to sign the use of this money off but what actually is the plan if enough cannot be raised to purchase the footprint. 

Secondly this FLG is the elephant in the room, I'd be worried about their influence if/when we were in a position to purchase the stadium, I'm presuming they are not going to just walk away from their interest for the greater good of the club? Why are the empty units not being utilised with all monies generated going in to the pot, what has been their contribution to this contingency seeing as they appear to be making money off the back of the clubs name, there are a million and one questions they need to answer and the request for them to participate last night could be best described as awkward and there is no denying this needs ironing out if we are to move forward. 

Finally going back to this boycott I really think this will play in to Abdallahs hands, our most successful protests have come about when it's been made difficult for the club on matchdays and I personally think some support will just naturally fall away, of course it may hit him in the pocket but I think he is past caring on that front and you are going to have to find a way to engage with him if any of this is to progress, there is little time for ego and I cringed when Matt was reeling off his story of their last zoom call in September and the way he challenged Abdallah, is it any wonder he hasn't engaged since? Whatever you think of him he owns us and let's face it has been sold up the river by Corney and Blitz and some will say feels rightly aggrieved.

One final one for you when you are cosying up to Blitz, has anyone asked him to buy Abdallah out? Let's face it if he puts the lot together it may be possible for him to recoup his money and do the right thing for the town and people of Oldham, a proper business plan could then be formulated and what would be on offer would be tangible, as it stands nothing is going to happen without the other he would still have the security of the ground until the money could be raised and the supporters eventually could own the lot.

29 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

My overriding feeling is though I haven't been convinced by this let's have your money and we'll buy the ground for a number of reasons;

If I pledge a four figure sum to this project how is that money protected, if we get new owners two years down the line and that fund isn't needed then what happens to the money that's been invested? I'd hate for some ego within OASF to start using that money to manipulate their own position (we have history) and like previous monies myself and my family raised it will be spunked on a whim to fuel one persons agenda, now I know three people have to sign the use of this money off but what actually is the plan if enough cannot be raised to purchase the footprint. 

I believe the structure at Swindon is that the supporters trust own 50% of the ground, and the owner of the club owns the other half as well as the badge. I'd like to see whatever does get raised for the fund be invested in a similar way - so if it's not full outright ownership of the assets it's a partial ownership with a significant decision making stake. Would you invest if that was the plan?

8 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

The foundation literally spoke to the man this week ? 

Im not a fan of his, but he holds the cards to get us out of this mess, whether you like it or not! 

Yes. I know. 

They literally spoke to them this week and they don’t know how much he wants. incredible. 

He has said he’d sell for a reasonable price. He’s said that lots of times. How much!? 

58 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sorry to be critical of those who are more engaged and passionate than I am but the messaging doesn't seem aligned.

On one hand it is boycott is the only option and will definitely force the owner out, there are parties queuing up to buy and Blitz is a willing seller (although nobody knows for how much) then on the other it is nobody is going to help us and we need to raise 6 million quid (up from 2 million)

A double-pronged approach, no? 

One thing I realised after watching last night, is the size of the task those involved in OASF and PTB have taken on. A group of people who've only been working together for a few months, trying to put together an organisation capable of raising millions of investment capital all in their spare time. With a relatively small customer base and regularly coming up against apathy and/or negative snipers.

Fair play to them all for doing this. And I thought the words of the Blackpool representitives were important - ignore the negatives, focus on the positives.

47 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Finally going back to this boycott I really think this will play in to Abdallahs hands, our most successful protests have come about when it's been made difficult for the club on matchdays and I personally think some support will just naturally fall away, of course it may hit him in the pocket but I think he is past caring on that front

This is a concern I've always had. He seems to actively discourage fans from attending. I don't know how he's funding it or planning to fund it - you would think at some point he'd reach out to get fans spending, but all he's done is antagonise them further. It's literally as if he'd rather they didn't turn up to save his own embarrassment. 

His only communication seems to be after we draw media attention to ourselves. I'm backing the boycott and support the idea that we shouldn't let him spend our money and the visual of playing in an empty stadium would get media attention (for a while), but in terms of forcing him out? I'm not so sure...

I’m surprised a pledge type scheme wasn’t mentioned. I’d only be willing to donate a decent (for me) sum of money to the cause if I knew that others were doing so too and that it would only be triggered once the pot hit a significant milestone at which point the money could be used on something meaningful and tangible (ie purchasing 51% of the ground). 

Aside from that, I agree that the job of fundraising through events etc sits with everyone, however any such event would need the input of PTB/OASF in terms of reach and spreading the word. Again, respect for anyone spending their free time trying to do right by our club.

3 minutes ago, south east latic said:

I’m surprised a pledge type scheme wasn’t mentioned. I’d only be willing to donate a decent (for me) sum of money to the cause if I knew that others were doing so too and that it would only be triggered once the pot hit a significant milestone at which point the money could be used on something meaningful and tangible (ie purchasing 51% of the ground). 

Aside from that, I agree that the job of fundraising through events etc sits with everyone, however any such event would need the input of PTB/OASF in terms of reach and spreading the word. Again, respect for anyone spending their free time trying to do right by our club.

Completely agree with this.

29 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Finally going back to this boycott I really think this will play in to Abdallahs hands, our most successful protests have come about when it's been made difficult for the club on matchdays and I personally think some support will just naturally fall away, of course it may hit him in the pocket but I think he is past caring on that front and you are going to have to find a way to engage with him if any of this is to progress,

Interesting post @yarddog73

It is clear that there is still a doubt in the minds of many that a boycott (which impacts the club’s finances) will achieve the goal of forcing the owner to sell.

The fear that the fans who attend have is that by starving the club of income, is that it has little effect and the club will simply continue to free fall down the football pyramid and ultimately will hasten the arrival of administration.

What is apparent though is that the number who say they are joining the boycott is increasing  -  and maybe if Abdallah does not sell, then administration is the only answer.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

A double-pronged approach, no? 

I was, maybe wrongly, expecting more from the event. All a bit vague. If there are credible investors who can't fund the whole lot, then why not, how much do they want from us and what does it get us? Is this boycott indefinite?

9 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Weird isn't it given he put us right in this mess by leaving the brew boy holding the baby then allowing an absolute charlatan to own the badge to save himself a few quid, about time this bloke did the decent thing for the town and fucked off, Abdallah was set up to fail, hoodwinked if you like by Corneys bullshit as many of our fans were, he couldn't possibly make it work given every possible opportunity to make the club money was cut off, of course he's fucking useless but that doesn't excuse the fact Corney and to a degree Blitz knew exactly what he was letting himself in for.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Sort of agree here, I thought it was a little confusing.

If we have investors willing to help buy the ground off blitz, what is the hold up, are they saying they will only invest if Oldham fans raise some money too.

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I don’t think anyone would disagree with what you are saying here. Why would they. 

I notice you left out FLG. Good. 

Fans cannot wait for the FLG to act Kow,  need to somehow get some momentum building and look to secure alternative investment if possible. 

I have a few ideas for generating some funding, I am sure others have too. 

We can't keep operating in a silo, need to see what other clubs have tried/ done and where any have been successful in raising significant funds, how they did it and see if we can do similar.      

42 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Egg/chicken, chicken/egg. Pledges are great but they're not money until they are paid. My view is that momentum will only build when a cash balance is demonstrably growing 

Archived