22/23 Keep/Release - Goalkeepers

22/23 Keep/Release - Goalkeepers  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Jayson Leutwiler (2023?)

2. 2. Danny Rogers (2022)

On 4/30/2022 at 5:56 PM, deyres42 said:

Yes, he is a better goalkeeper than Rogers in my opinion.

On 4/30/2022 at 8:50 PM, DorsetBlue said:

As long as you don’t expect him to catch the ball

Or kick it. 

Goalkeeping seems to me to be a good area to save on budget. One young loanee and one veteran who can be sub and goalie coach. Two full time keepers competing for the shirt seems like a waste of a limited budget. 

On 5/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, nzlatic said:

Goalkeeping seems to me to be a good area to save on budget.

Can't disagree more.  

Get the right player in who can play every match and provide support consistently to the defenders.

It's far more valuable than having a fifth right back or winger, which is what we usually end up with.

For the National League we need someone who's good in the air and at set pieces.

7 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Can't disagree more.  

Get the right player in who can play every match and provide support consistently to the defenders.

It's far more valuable than having a fifth right back or winger, which is what we usually end up with.

For the National League we need someone who's good in the air and at set pieces.

Agreed, for me it's the most important position followed by striker then CB.

A good goalkeeper can calm the whole team and the most successful teams always have a world class keeper (Liverpool with Alisson, Chelsea with Czech, United with Schmeichel, Van Der Sa, De Gea).

There's a reason Brightons keeper always gets into most fantasy football teams.

Skimping on keepers is not an option for us 

9 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Agreed, for me it's the most important position followed by striker then CB.

A good goalkeeper can calm the whole team and the most successful teams always have a world class keeper (Liverpool with Alisson, Chelsea with Czech, United with Schmeichel, Van Der Sa, De Gea).

There's a reason Brightons keeper always gets into most fantasy football teams.

Skimping on keepers is not an option for us 

Exactly.

Even at our (old) level, Connor Ripley kept us up almost single handedly one season.  And I seem to remember he didn't come cheap even on loan.

22 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Can't disagree more.  

You've snipped part of my post. For clarity, I wasn't advocating bringing in shit keepers on peanuts.

I was making the assumption that the wages of a loanee (eg Ripley, Iversen) to be 1st choice plus those of a veteran who can be both sub GK and GK coach is less than the wages of two permanent contracted goalkeepers fighting over the shirt and a separate GK coach.

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You've snipped part of my post. For clarity, I wasn't advocating bringing in shit keepers on peanuts.

I was making the assumption that the wages of a loanee (eg Ripley, Iversen) to be 1st choice plus those of a veteran who can be both sub GK and GK coach is less than the wages of two permanent contracted goalkeepers fighting over the shirt and a separate GK coach.

That I agree with 

Worked with Paul Gerrards second spell and with Mark Crossley (though he was number 1 with a young backup)

22 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Not so sure loanees are always so cheap these days when they're comings from higher level, given how wages are these days.

The bigger issue is probably that we unlikely to get loans from a decent level, now that we are in the National League and have a terrible reputation on paying fees.

13 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Not so sure loanees are always so cheap these days when they're comings from higher level, given how wages are these days.

The bigger issue is probably that we unlikely to get loans from a decent level, now that we are in the National League and have a terrible reputation on paying fees.

Very true!

Archived