Serious/Genuine Question

7 minutes ago, PeteG said:

If not mistaken the contingency fund has so far raised £30k. It wouldn't run the club for a week so good luck trying to get a team together that is fan owned that is able to compete above the level we are currently at or going to.

I know it seems to be an alien concept to yourself, Barry and the club for that matter. But fans can actually be a useful source of revenue for the club.

It’s unlikely to happen, but my guess would be that if OASF did pick the club up for a quid they’d sell more season tickets than the club has for quite a long time. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I know it seems to be an alien concept to yourself, Barry and the club for that matter. But fans can actually be a useful source of revenue for the club.

It’s unlikely to happen, but my guess would be that if OASF did pick the club up for a quid they’d sell more season tickets than the club has for quite a long time. 

I don't disagree with that but the running costs are huge for any club at league or national league for that matter. Costs a lot of us probably don't even think about. We just seem to think its a case of paying for 23 players and a manager. Season ticket sales even with the potential increase in sales don't even cover a third of the cost.

13 minutes ago, PeteG said:

If not mistaken the contingency fund has so far raised £30k. It wouldn't run the club for a week so good luck trying to get a team together that is fan owned that is able to compete above the level we are currently at or going to.

Instead of trying to shoot it down get involved. 

£30k without it being officially pushed to businesses etc. Come down on the 12th Pete. I am sure you could provide some great ideas

I'm there to be shot at but i've said for a long time that fan owned clubs have a ceiling of bottom end league 1 at best. Wimbledon did that, Exeter have only just got promoted and let's see how they fare. I might be wrong but I don't think there is any evidence of a club doing better than that. Now we would all take bottom end league 1 right now but when we were there we felt that wasn't good enough. Unfortunately all clubs who have aspirations of being successful need a sugar daddy.

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I don't disagree with that but the running costs are huge for any club at league or national league for that matter. Costs a lot of us probably don't even think about. We just seem to think its a case of paying for 23 players and a manager. Season ticket sales even with the potential increase in sales don't even cover a third of the cost.

Why has this ever been said? 

Just now, adamoafc said:

Why has this ever been said? 

I've had tons of conversations where a lot of people don't really know the costs of running a club. Okay slight exaggeration about just paying 23 players and a manager but i'm sure you get my drift.

I'm there to be shot at but i've said for a long time that fan owned clubs have a ceiling of bottom end league 1 at best. Wimbledon did that, Exeter have only just got promoted and let's see how they fare. I might be wrong but I don't think there is any evidence of a club doing better than that. Now we would all take bottom end league 1 right now but when we were there we felt that wasn't good enough. Unfortunately all clubs who have aspirations of being successful need a sugar daddy.

Wouldn’t that be a massive progression on where we are now? 

But you were saying the fund would be doing all the leg work. We’ve now bumped that up to a 3rd of costs being covered once we add in season ticket sales. Now add in payments from the league, increased merchandise, building relationships to increase sponsorships, sorting out the agreements with landlord and OEC for as much income from that to come back into the club and you start to get a lot closer to covering all costs. 

It can be done. Just needs to be run properly. 

7 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Instead of trying to shoot it down get involved. 

£30k without it being officially pushed to businesses etc. Come down on the 12th Pete. I am sure you could provide some great ideas

30k to 2 million is some leap Adam, do PTB share the view that that is the kind of figure you want to get to?

23 minutes ago, PeteG said:

£30k probably does run the club for a week unlike Salford we don't lose £30k a week (think their actual figure was 3x that).

Wigan managed to successfully fund their club for 9 months, until their buyer appeared. We won't need the same funds as Wigan, although I think quite a bit of the money raised by fans ended up paying off the administrators thanks to some ridiculous fees.

Exeter and a few others are fan run and funded. 

What the fund needs to be able to do is fund the club in the event of administration, after the club's assets have been sold (probably for much less than they are worth). £30k won't cover that, but I can see the fans being able to manage for a few months. People would be more willing to give more (but only what they can afford) if not doing so ends up with the club going bust.

As has already been hinted there are buyers waiting in the wings, if the club goes into administration it becomes a bit of a buyer's market. But the fans might need to fund the club for a period while the sale is completed.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

30k to 2 million is some leap Adam, do PTB share the view that that is the kind of figure you want to get to?

Would you put a cap on any investment? If we can reach that figure through investment - grants etc then brilliant. 

15 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Wouldn’t that be a massive progression on where we are now? 

Didn't I say that? However, I also added that when we were there, it was considered not good enough and i'd agree with that. We should be aiming higher than that. There was an interesting article in the Sunday Times yesterday about how our attendances have fallen over the past 30 years where the general trend has seen a massive increase in attendances during that period and how it is believed that it is related to the demography of the town.

3 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Would you put a cap on any investment? If we can reach that figure through investment - grants etc then brilliant. 

Agreed. Think there does need to be some realism regarding how long it will take to reach such numbers though, tis a fine line between enthusiasm and naivety.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Not true at all (think of where rugby and football teams "share" a ground for example - there are many other examples and legal mechanisms available to share the same space) but I`m not going to get into a petty argument with you - it's all you seem to want to do nowadays.

But a lease is exclusive to the lessee until the lessee allows a second tenant. At the lessee’s discretion is my point 

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

The latest (unaudited accounts) accounts showed a profit for the year of £100k and they also showed a reduction in directors loans. Which shows that he was taking money out rather than putting money in.

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

The latest (unaudited accounts) accounts showed a profit for the year of £100k and they also showed a reduction in directors loans. Which shows that he was taking money out rather than putting money in.

You seriously believe the club is a profit making business?

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Was that before they accounted for the allegedly unpaid rent? 

4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

You seriously believe the club is a profit making business?

In the long run absolutely not it never has been never will be. But the owner currently appears to be trying to run it that way. Do you think he's funding us at the moment looking at the squad the state of Boundary Park the transfer restrictions? 

I'd actually rather we didn't become fan owned probably for the same reasons you do. But Exeter will be starting next season 2 divisions above us having invested in their squad their ground and training facilities I know who's shoes I'd rather be in.

It really depends on how badly the Oldham public want a professional football club representing the town.

The attitude of some people on here is so defeatist and negative it’s unreal.

If supporters want to keep a professional football club in the town then to ensure its survival they’re going to have to give it their maximum support.

I am willing to put my ST money in to a slush fund. I am also prepared to donate £10pm Direct Debit, (1 packet of fags, 3🍺) for however long it takes, maybe for life.

If we can get 3000 fans to do the same that would raise a minimum of….

3000 x £200 = £600k*

3000 x £10 = £30k per month

If we can get local businesses involved that could swell the fund considerably!

I wouldn’t want to just throw money in willy nilly but if it can be done like some sort of share save, say in increments of £50* where you have some sort of receipt for your investment (like premium bonds) it might work.

This could also actually encourage any potential investors to get involved!!

I’m hopeful that some sort of similar proposal will be revealed at the fans forum.

I can guess the reaction to this post from the usual suspects already, however, the truth is, if we don’t get seriously involved in some sort of rescue plan we may not even have a club to support!!

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

In the long run absolutely not it never has been never will be. But the owner currently appears to be trying to run it that way. Do you think he's funding us at the moment looking at the squad the state of Boundary Park the transfer restrictions? 

I'd actually rather we didn't become fan owned probably for the same reasons you do. But Exeter will be starting next season 2 divisions above us having invested in their squad their ground and training facilities I know who's shoes I'd rather be in.

In fairness they've been able to invest mainly because of once in a generation player sales. Of course we should strive for similar but it isn't a given.

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

It really depends on how badly the Oldham public want a professional football club representing the town.

If supporters want to keep a professional football club in the town then to ensure its survival they’re going to have to give it their maximum support.

I am willing to put my ST money in to a slush fund. I am also prepared to donate £10pm Direct Debit, (1 packet of fags, 3🍺) for however long it takes, maybe for life.

3000 x £200 = £600k*

I wouldn’t want to just throw money in willy nilly but if it can be done like some sort of share save, say in increments of £50* where you have some sort of receipt for your investment (like premium bonds) it might work.

I’m hopeful that some sort of similar proposal will be revealed at the fans forum.

I can guess the reaction to this post from the usual suspects already, however, the truth is, if we don’t get seriously involved in some sort of rescue plan we may not even have a club to support!!

Wouldn't fan ownership rely on that kind of contribution every year though?

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Wouldn't fan ownership rely on that kind of contribution every year though?

I’m not necessarily talking about total fan ownership but for fans to be involved financially in some capacity.

38 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

3000 x £200 = £600k*

Couldn't agree more.  Such a shame that this wasn't started 20 years ago - a massive wasted opportunity born out of the complacency that set in as soon as Moore arrived even though it became evident so soon after that he wasn't the real deal.

2 hours ago, PeteG said:

But season ticket sales keep the club going into the new season. Then parachute payments and gate revenue kick in.

The present owner has not put any money into the club since before the present season started and he settled some of the debt with Blitz.

He has clearly expected the club to financially support itself in the past 2 years.  Kind of the same place it would be if it was fan owned, except the club would have bigger gate revenue.

Archived