Serious/Genuine Question

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I don't fully understand the beef with them. Can't say I've researched it but as far as I can work out there has never been a real opportunity for the club to use the facilities and profit from them. I can't really imagine why the individuals involved would operate a business just for the benefit of the club so not really seeing why they are so much worse than, say, the landlords of local pubs. 

Really? Ok. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's a topic that's been discussed on here on multiple occasions.

I'd put in here that towns/cities such as Bolton Bradford and Burnley have the same issues that we do. 

You've also got the historical aspect of football grounds not being particularly hospitalable to ethnic minorities in the past. I think that's alot less of an issue these days. Partly because of that you probably still don't have that tradition of taking your son/daughter to their first match that you do in let's call it the white/british community. I imagine most of the Athleticos started going down because their parents an uncle a grandparent started taking them.

I don't think their is a unique solution here. Other than to make Boundary Park a better place to come interms of facilities and give people a team that they can get behind and people will come.

Particularly relevant today-there is an article on Look North West tonight that features Blackburn Rovers hosting Eid prayers on the pitch. Don't we have a Muslim owner?

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I wouldn't listen to today's podcast then if I was you...

Couldn't work out if they are boycotting or not, surely if you are depriving the owners of money any percentage of tickets sales even those for away games need to be withheld?, all a bit confused to me.

Now the problem I have is I get shit for supporting my club by paying £200 at the start of the season, but those that have boycotted who wanted to back Shez will have paid £22 × 8 so far, add another £22 if they can still be arsed for Crawley, plus another 10% on our sizeable away ticket sales so my reckoning is most of these who can't make their mind up have contributed nearly as much if not more than I have. 

You can bet your bottom dollar the same ones will be back if we start brightly next season there is nothing surer, if the teams top 6 like I expect it then crowds will be nowhere near the sub 2000 predicted.

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Couldn't work out if they are boycotting or not, surely if you are depriving the owners of money any percentage of tickets sales even those for away games need to be withheld?, all a bit confused to me.

Now the problem I have is I get shit for supporting my club by paying £200 at the start of the season, but those that have boycotted who wanted to back Shez will have paid £22 × 8 so far, add another £22 if they can still be arsed for Crawley, plus another 10% on our sizeable away ticket sales so my reckoning is most of these who can't make their mind up have contributed nearly as much if not more than I have. 

You can bet your bottom dollar the same ones will be back if we start brightly next season there is nothing surer, if the teams top 6 like I expect it then crowds will be nowhere near the sub 2000 predicted.

Yes, I can't get my head around this away days only thing, not so much the money side of it, I just don’t see the point in only attending half the games. And if everyone has the same idea you are going to need a season ticket to get your hands on plenty of them anyway.

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Think it will be a struggle for "away days only" given the small allocation we're likely to get for a lot of games. You'd imagine most, if not all, away tickets will be snapped up by ST holders...

Just now, Dave_Og said:

I love a debate... 

Apologies. I’m just a bit wary of sounding like a broken record with my my views of OEC, FLG and their interactions/relationship with Blitz. I don’t like it, I don’t trust it. 

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Haven't read the article but, if I am right in guessing its general content, it's long been "the elephant in the room". The greater the % of the Muslim population in the borough, the smaller the pool of fans that Latics has to draw from. Unfortunately, some people consider it a taboo subject. 

What has been needed for many years is to get to the root cause of why Oldham's Muslim community (in particular) won't pay to watch the Latics. In the long term, it's pretty critical stuff because there is only one way that Oldham's demographics are headed.

The OACT, perhaps more than most, should have an idea as to the reason why there seems to be little "return" from a distinct sector of Oldham's community.

Put it this way - a council report in 2019 stated that circa 17.5% of Oldham's population was either of Pakistani or Bangladeshi heritage. So, if we had 5,000 home supporters in a game, all things being equal, you should expect to see circa 875 fans of Pakistani/Bangladeshi heritage.

It's certainly food for thought and, if not addressed, is actually a greater existential threat to the long term future of the club than anything else. 

Bangla Bantums have done it. Soon to break ground on a new fan/community hub at Bradford ground. 

However, dropping out of the EFL will possible affect the funding streams OACT can now Tap into.

1 minute ago, underdog said:

Bangla Bantums have done it. Soon to break ground on a new fan/community hub at Bradford ground. 

However, dropping out of the EFL will possible affect the funding streams OACT can now Tap into.

There are plenty of diversity-related grants available to non-league teams.

3 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

There are plenty of diversity-related grants available to non-league teams.

And they were successful in getting grant to help get active Asian women in the poorer wards. Specifically football. 

As well as the national citizenship awards 

Here's hoping they can keep going

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

See I haven't been since September but for those fans that did return were not being hypocritical. The decision to return by many fans was based on firstly the appointment of John Sheridan and then the Lemsagams said they were going to sell the club. It was an entirely reasonable stance they wanted change, the owner said he would change and they kept their end of the bargain up and returned to support the club. People have given the owner the opportunity of the rest of the current season to make progress on selling of the club he has not done that. Therefore it's perfectly reasonable for those same people to now turn round and not renew season tickets or recommence a boycott.

I certainly see it as alot more reasonable than complaining about an owner and the general state of the club but still giving him your custom.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

See I haven't been since September but for those fans that did return were not being hypocritical. The decision to return by many fans was based on firstly the appointment of John Sheridan and then the Lemsagams said they were going to sell the club. It was an entirely reasonable stance they wanted change, the owner said he would change and they kept their end of the bargain up and returned to support the club. People have given the owner the opportunity of the rest of the current season to make progress on selling of the club he has not done that. Therefore it's perfectly reasonable for those same people to now turn round and not renew season tickets or recommence a boycott.

I certainly see it as alot more reasonable than complaining about an owner and the general state of the club but still giving him your custom.

How do you know he has made no progress in selling the club? Is that documented anywhere? In any case it's not going to happen overnight given the complexity of any deal

I think progress has been made Shez is named as manager, Mo has largely disappeared and a promise that the budget remains the same was welcome news, obviously the proof will be in the pudding once the signings are made but I'm hopeful Shez wouldn't of signed without some assurances, it looks to me like decisions have been made without Abdallah being given the opportunity to change, if he leaves it to Shez and puts a team out there to challenge whilst seeking new owners will the stayaways return?

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

How do you know he has made no progress in selling the club? Is that documented anywhere? In any case it's not going to happen overnight given the complexity of any deal

I think progress has been made Shez is named as manager, Mo has largely disappeared and a promise that the budget remains the same was welcome news, obviously the proof will be in the pudding once the signings are made but I'm hopeful Shez wouldn't of signed without some assurances, it looks to me like decisions have been made without Abdallah being given the opportunity to change, if he leaves it to Shez and puts a team out there to challenge whilst seeking new owners will the stayaways return?

Our budget allowed us to pay players £800 per week. How does the apparent maintenance of that constitute good news?  It certainly won't give us a competitive NL budget. 

As for whether he's really trying to sell, if he is that doesn't really square with a former chairman of the club expressing interest but saying Lemsagam has failed to return any of his calls. 

The other part of his January statement said that he'd strengthen the squad to fight relegation. How did that go? 

He simply cannot be believed. 

57 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The decision to return by many fans was based on firstly the appointment of John Sheridan and then the Lemsagams said they were going to sell the club. 

Well they've just appointed him as permanent manager and said in a statement last week that they were still committed to selling the club...

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Apologies. I’m just a bit wary of sounding like a broken record with my my views of OEC, FLG and their interactions/relationship with Blitz. I don’t like it, I don’t trust it. 

You’re not the only one 🙄 

The OEC seems to be mission control for most of the groups involved with Latics at the moment. 

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I get that trust needs to be earned. I'd say now is the time for them to earn it so would hope an open mind can be kept for the summer to see what develops. 

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Progress has been made!

We've just been relegated out of the football league for the first time in 115 years.

If you think that just letting Sheridan sign some players on the same budget as last season will be enough to get us out of the national league then you've gone insane.

This guy won't change he's too ignorant for that. He will probably sack Sheridan before the calender year is out.

14 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Particularly relevant today-there is an article on Look North West tonight that features Blackburn Rovers hosting Eid prayers on the pitch. Don't we have a Muslim owner?

Yes, but AL would have to show he's capable of an altruistic gesture to a section - any section - of the Oldham public. I don't think he gives a damn about any part of the community. 

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I get that trust needs to be earned. I'd say now is the time for them to earn it so would hope an open mind can be kept for the summer to see what develops. 

Given that OEC is being used for events including the upcoming forum… it would appear it does not have to be earned. 

3 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Given that OEC is being used for events including the upcoming forum… it would appear it does not have to be earned. 

It's just a venue - I've no idea of any of the arrangements.  I don't know for example:

1. How many it holds

2. Whether there are many/any suitable alternatives

3. Whether there is a hire charge and, if there is, whether it is more or less than any of the suitable alternatives (if there are any)

4. Where profits from any takings go in whole or part

So I'm not prepared to say that it is definitively good or bad to be holding it there.  i do know that the future of this club that I have supported for five and a half decades is, at best, precarious and so I'm prepared to give the benefit of any doubt.

18 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Never heard a boo at BP. See lots of applause for it every week though. To be honest I don’t really understand either reaction for what has become the emptiest of empty gestures. Those same players will enthusiastically rock up at Qatar in the winter. 

You don't sit in the Jimmy Frizzell then. It's not as bad as earlier in the season but still discernable. To be fair more clap than boo but whether you agree with the gesture or not booing sends out the wrong message, 

On 5/2/2022 at 8:02 PM, underdog said:

You'll be more knowledgable about it than me, underdog but spoke yesterday to a 30 years plus Bradford supporter. He says there is disquiet in some quarters because of perceived "constant subsidies" for the scheme i.e. free/discounted tickets regularly available to certain sections of support but not others?

Archived