Serious/Genuine Question

Interesting debate this.

I think that football fans are perfectly capable of playing a significant role in the running of football clubs. Usually, that falls short of ownership outright, albeit Pompey fans and the admirable people at Exeter have proved that it can be done.

I think your realistic aim for now is probably to have influence, rather than control, and that might be the best option in the short term. One of the reasons I think that is that your club needs a fairly big injection of money, as well as the energy and ambition that you can bring. So some form of partnership or joint venture type arrangement seems the most promising to me, which is why raising some money of your own seems a good thing to do.

I'm a bit mystified by the attempts to explain all this way as a partial product of demography. Your problems stem from decades of under-investment, lack of continuity, non-existent strategic planning and simple managerial incompetence. You have to break the paradigm somehow, and time spent defending the status quo and looking for excuses not to grasp this nettle seems like time wasted to me.

I know this is hard. You feel as though you are turning your back on your club when it needs you most. But what you have now is quite a lot like being in an abusive relationship. Sometimes, you have to draw a line in the sand for your their sake, as well as your own.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

You'll be more knowledgable about it than me, underdog but spoke yesterday to a 30 years plus Bradford supporter. He says there is disquiet in some quarters because of perceived "constant subsidies" for the scheme i.e. free/discounted tickets regularly available to certain sections of support but not others?

wouldn't surprise me, positive discrimination.

in 1997 l went for a job w a certain local MBC l won't name, absolutely aced the interview (l usually do) they even took me to meet my new team, showed me my desk, the canteen etc. but then l didn't get it because l was 'too similar to the present demographic' basically lm white AF and l was born in England. my Grandad(pbuh) exploded in a racist rage and wrote a letter to the chron!!! he was angry w me for about three years after that bc l didnt care.

couple of years later l applied again, got it, went thru all the process but told them l couldn't start for a week and then l didnt turn up. they rang me l was like oh yeah sorry, they said its ok start tomoro l was like ohhh excellent thanks and then didnt turn up 😂😂

they rang me again and this time l explained about how l had no intention of ever taking it and how l was deliberatley wasting their time and money and good luck crawling back to somebody they had turned down two weeks earlier.

an ex works in HR and she is sometimes told to employ the best none white applicant no matter how shit they are 'for quotas'

so stuff like a free ticket to the Football but only if your skin is not white isn't even eye brow raising.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 12:10 AM, Monty Burns said:

so stuff like a free ticket to the Football but only if your skin is not white isn't even eye brow raising.

Not to disregard what you said before this about quotas etc

But if a handful of free tickets here and there as we do with our partner schools (which won't be specific to ethnicity) for seats that would sit empty otherwise helps  the next generation of football fans in borough to chose Oldham over United/City/Liverpool or who ever else then am all for it.

That mahdlo youth centre in town centre they have a bus that goes round the estates picking up the kids and taking them to youth centre I'd be getting on the them with a load of free tickets an all to get them in boundary park.

don't let that come across as me being against it, lm not l was just saying it happens.

w regards to giving tickets away ld rather give them to kids that want them than kids that don't.

maybe thats marco's answer to an empty BP?? we shall see..

6 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

always makes me cringe, literally the council advertising how backwards the town is 😒

Not surprising with a backward council.

I can't stand Tories from top to bottom but Labour councils really are the worst

Exactly the same in Blackburn with Darwen.

Having met a few, including our new council leader here, they're a bit thick too 

54 minutes ago, wroteforluck87 said:

Not to disregard what you said before this about quotas etc

But if a handful of free tickets here and there as we do with our partner schools (which won't be specific to ethnicity) for seats that would sit empty otherwise helps  the next generation of football fans in borough to chose Oldham over United/City/Liverpool or who ever else then am all for it.

I'm under the impression that the free tickets handed out by OACT/LaticZone etc are an EFL initiative so don't know whether or not this will happen next season...

38 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Not surprising with a backward council.

I can't stand Tories from top to bottom but Labour councils really are the worst

Exactly the same in Blackburn with Darwen.

Having met a few, including our new council leader here, they're a bit thick too 

some arent complete idiots, but if you get these sport hating ones then...

8 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm under the impression that the free tickets handed out by OACT/LaticZone etc are an EFL initiative so don't know whether or not this will happen next season...

Hope it continues.. other than the cost for making the ticket it's hardly a loss is it.. if a few kids decide they want come oldham more often off the back of it then its done it's job

Archived