BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 2nd May '22 Episode 82: Rip It Up & Start Again

I hope to god you're not as dumb as you make out. I hope to god.  I hope to god.

You can now support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.com where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Like 2

Listened to this earlier today, and I thought it was one of the best in a very impressive series.

One of the interesting things for me was the recognition that relegation - though disastrous in itself - isn't necessarily the end of the fall. Andy really caught my attention from the beginning as he laid out the many-headed nature of the problem ; squad decimated, recruitment key, key parts of the infrastructure questionable or absent, quite apart from the acute worries about money. 

Equally, I thought everyone was very good at articulating why the current incumbents offer absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are up to the job that they face now.  To that extent, the (interesting) discussion about whether Sheridan has the skill set that he will need to do this particular job is something of a red herring for me. He starts with one hand tied behind his back, so how good he is seems a little besides the point. 

I think you may be surprised by how good the top half of this Division is. I've read a lot of comment from fans of clubs like Bristol Rovers that suggests that most of the clubs at the top would be pretty comfortable in L2. I think that is probably true. It doesn't help. 

I share Andy's view that people should be running out of reasons to continue underwriting this regime now. You've given them time, energy, money and passion and they have let you down very badly. You deserve far, far better, but to get it I think you are going to have to force a change, rather than wait for it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

Equally, I thought everyone was very good at articulating why the current incumbents offer absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are up to the job that they face now.  To that extent, the (interesting) discussion about whether Sheridan has the skill set that he will need to do this particular job is something of a red herring for me. He starts with one hand tied behind his back, so how good he is seems a little besides the point. 

I share Andy's view that people should be running out of reasons to continue underwriting this regime now. You've given them time, energy, money and passion and they have let you down very badly. You deserve far, far better, but to get it I think you are going to have to force a change, rather than wait for it.

Do you think Sheridan signing up again with this ownership is underwriting this regime? I think it would be a really strong message to the owners if he walked.

19 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Do you think Sheridan signing up again with this ownership is underwriting this regime? I think it would be a really strong message to the owners if he walked.

I think it is very hard to say.  Much of what he has said and done so far suggests that heart is struggling with head, as far as he is concerned. You will all  have a far better idea than me if what assurances he might have been given, and how likely he is to rely upon them.

I suppose the question I would put back to you is - do you think that he wants to play Oldham Athletic politics? He doesn't seem the type to me, but what do I know?

43 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I think it is very hard to say.  Much of what he has said and done so far suggests that heart is struggling with head, as far as he is concerned. You will all  have a far better idea than me if what assurances he might have been given, and how likely he is to rely upon them.

I suppose the question I would put back to you is - do you think that he wants to play Oldham Athletic politics? He doesn't seem the type to me, but what do I know?

This is what I cannot fathom, for me if he signs up again it is a rejection of all the work PTBTrust /BPAS are trying to achieve, in effect an expression of support for this regime. 

He has done what's best for John and not the club once before when he upped sticks and went to Notts County.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

This is what I cannot fathom, for me if he signs up again it is a rejection of all the work PTBTrust /BPAS are trying to achieve, in effect an expression of support for this regime. 

He has done what's best for John and not the club once before when he upped sticks and went to Notts County.

I'm hoping he knows something we don't about changes to come. 

7 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

I'm hoping he knows something we don't about changes to come. 

i think its a vain hope myself . i think he wants to try and make amends with HIS team rather than the bunch of missfits he inherited to try and bounce strait back suspect he has agreed a budget a retained list and a list of players he thinks he can get to attempt this without interference from almo whether this transpires we shall see .

35 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

i think its a vain hope myself . i think he wants to try and make amends with HIS team rather than the bunch of missfits he inherited to try and bounce strait back suspect he has agreed a budget a retained list and a list of players he thinks he can get to attempt this without interference from almo whether this transpires we shall see .

Retained list? It's barely our choice. 

• Matt featured this topic
20 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Listened to this earlier today, and I thought it was one of the best in a very impressive series.

One of the interesting things for me was the recognition that relegation - though disastrous in itself - isn't necessarily the end of the fall. Andy really caught my attention from the beginning as he laid out the many-headed nature of the problem ; squad decimated, recruitment key, key parts of the infrastructure questionable or absent, quite apart from the acute worries about money. 

I think you may be surprised by how good the top half of this Division is. I've read a lot of comment from fans of clubs like Bristol Rovers that suggests that most of the clubs at the top would be pretty comfortable in L2. I think that is probably true. It doesn't help. 

I really wish you would disappear from this forum. Go back to Blackpool and build sandcastles or something.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, redlion said:

I really wish you would disappear from this forum. Go back to Blackpool and build sandcastles or something.

You're going to be in a very small minority spouting that bollocks. I, for one, really appreciate his contributions. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, redlion said:

Yep, it's a right bastard having someone on here who has been through the wringer with his club and is willing to chip in with useful advice and information

• Like 16

On 5/2/2022 at 8:37 PM, basilrobbie said:

Thanks for your contribution to the community. Please try to ignore some of our more disruptive members.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redlion said:

You utter idiot. Try growing up instead stupid comments like this. You and PeteG liking each other’s comments I wonder who’s account @redlion could be…..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adamoafc said:

You utter idiot. Try growing up instead stupid comments like this. You and PeteG liking each other’s comments I wonder who’s account @redlion could be…..

Your grammar is very poor. Have you ever been to school ?

4 minutes ago, redlion said:

Your grammar is very poor. Have you ever been to school ?

You're not adding anything to this. Either let people talk about the issues in the topic and read the thread as it unfolds, debate the points constructively yourself, or move along.

• Like 10

On 5/3/2022 at 5:16 PM, redlion said:

Keep contributing Basil, experience is invaluable at this time. Your contributions are welcomed by the thinking majority.

34 minutes ago, Mercater said:

Keep contributing Basil, experience is invaluable at this time. Your contributions are welcomed by the thinking majority.

I've been thrown out of a Red Lion. I've no intentions of being thrown out BY one....

• Like 11

On 5/3/2022 at 10:33 PM, Magic Mikey said:

That should be school? 

😂

as an aside, l wonder, would you be intetested to know that in completely unrelated instances, l find it absolutely hilarious when somebody tries to be clever, but their actions only serve to further highlight distinct lack of natural intelligence? lt is one of my most favorite things on this planet.

(hope that ones ok🙄)

• Like 1