Oldham Trivia

Not quite sure I've got the story totally correct (I'm sure someone will put me right), but I believe that one of Oldham's stranger claims to fame was the bid made to host the winter olympics sometime early the last century. They were to be held on the Counthill Slopes. The bid unsurprisingly failed. I think the Oldham Tinkers song "Skiing Owdham Style" is a reference to this.

KtF

Actually the present building dates from 1830 and was designed in the Gothic Style by Richard Lane, a Manchester Architect.

Designs by Mr Barry, later to become Sir Charles Barry the designer of the House of Commons, although far superior, were rejected! :tongue1:

:surrender: It seems that my source for this claim had read the same book as Diego, only missed a detail. So I humbly hold my hands up and admit that I was wrong, and Diego was right :cry:

*Sets calendar reminder to edit all evidence from thread after the Great Slaughter of the Midlanders*

Carl Cox the Djaaay is an Oldhammer!

As are many other famous peeps, not including me!

He's gone a long way from fish and chips and Yates's though...

There was a story on popbitch the other week about his manager, who has a catchphrase. Carl's rider is bottles of Moet and Chandon, so when taking bookings, his manager always says: "No Moet, no showey. No Chandon, no band on."

Not quite sure I've got the story totally correct (I'm sure someone will put me right), but I believe that one of Oldham's stranger claims to fame was the bid made to host the winter olympics sometime early the last century. They were to be held on the Counthill Slopes. The bid unsurprisingly failed. I think the Oldham Tinkers song "Skiing Owdham Style" is a reference to this.

KtF

What is a fact is that when Manchester bid for the Olympics, part of the package was that BP was to be used for the hockey tournament. Would you believe they were going to put down a plastic pitch and then reinstate the grass pitch afterwards? OAFC was going to be compensated the cost of this, but in the meantime Latics were going to play at the Olympic stadium in Manchester until the new grass pitch was ready.

Urban myth Diego....blue plaques mean nothing other than someones paid for it. Fish Friers say...The first fish and chip shop in the North of England is thought to have opened in Mossely, near Oldham, Lancashire, around 1863. Mr Lees sold fish and chips from a wooden hut in the market and later he transferred the business to a permanent shop across the road, which had the following inscription in the window, “this is the first fish and chip shop in the world”. Also has a plaque.Now a Chinese opposite the Market.

However, (as you say) in London, Joseph Malin opened a fish and chip shop in Cleveland Street within the sound of Bow Bells in 1860.

My post was nothing to do with fish and chip shops. As I said Oldham's claim to fame related to being the birthplace of the chip shop (though not in the sense it is understood today of 'fish-and-chip shop').

So yours is another fishy tale, whereas I was chipping in with my own six penneth.