Rochdale scoreline

Allott looked good in that midfield role, he was ordering Kalala and Mac about well, and he cant shoot for toffee but very impressed!

Wright seemed assured, some dodgy balls to Taylor who looked way off the pace.

Thompson the best of the centre halfs, Smalley just kept getting run out!

Davies is Warneyesque, chased everything!

Good run out, decent following, lets hope that Davies and Ricketts get on the score sheet soon!

Not bad comments there by most. Although, agree with one about Lomax....he was shocking (played fine at Barrow though.) Almost had us 1-0 down within 2 minutes. Felt sorry for the lad....maybe he's best sticking with on the left now (a bit like Taylor has done once he's swapped flanks.)

Thompson's been a worry for me as for me, he doesn't come as highly rated as he does for others but after a not so great start at Barrow I thought he improved immensely tonight. Very happy to see that. Promising.

Wright - Not sure yet. Some good stuff, like a cracking ball down the wing that sent Taylor away but backed off a little bit sometimes. Also got in a complete mess for their 2nd, as did Stam. But definitely worth another look on Thursday. Has he got the muscle at LB for our division though....that's got to be a worry.

Allott and Kalala...great ball winners but are looking up for someone to hand it onto to get us moving forward and they aren't there. McD isn't it and we've lost Wellens.....I had said I didn't want to see KK come back here but after 2 games, we either have the flanks to attack down or simply punt it up to big guys. Looked very barren in that area just inside the oppo's half. But we knew we would be.....the gap needs filling quickly though or we'll run out of friendlies to bed them in, in.

Oh and another thing I really do like about Kalala is his far post runs. He scored from one at Barrow and had a chance from one in the first half which drew a great save from their keeper. Could be the new Cooksey who drifts in unnoticed and notches a number of goals from midfield.

Davies again did a lot of running tonight, ala Barrow. Gets in some nifty positions....liked the knock down from Ricketts which he scooped over the bar. Had a similar layoff and shot just wide at Barrow....think he'll be the man to maybe crack in a few belters next season.

Ricketts - decent start. Looked motivated. Chased and won plenty of headers. Even got back to defend at times. A very useful 60+ minutes. Struggled for breath at times, but only natural. It's preseason!

Overall for now, in the early stages of the new season, I just would like to see us more "up-for-it" at throw-ins....this went on all last season and seems exactly the same going into the new season. The defensive "unit" needs a lot of work (think we've got the players now)....I'm guessing they're playing like individuals a lot at present as Shez hasn't sat them down and gone through it with them. You can't take much from friendlies, but there are more positives to take rather than mulling over the negatives of losing or one or two below average performances.

Clyde will be interesting.....can't wait!

Oh and another thing I really do like about Kalala is his far post runs. He scored from one at Barrow and had a chance from one in the first half which drew a great save from their keeper. Could be the new Cooksey

:shock: I hope the rest of his game is better than Ernie's.

I thought all in all it was a decent enought performance.

I think we do need a creative midfield player though, Kalala and Allot both did well but we need someone else in there who can pick out a pass.

I was impressed with Ricketts, he is much slimmer than i thought and looked pretty fit. Showed some great touches and could be a very good signing for us.

I am a bit worried about Gregan though, i think other teams have realised that all they need to do is get a pacy striker up against him and drop the ball in behind him, it was happening towards the end of last season too. Hopefully Thompson/Stam will have the pace to cover.

Next season will be a big year for a number of our younger players. We all know Taylor has the pace to get past people but now he needs to get his head up and pick out a pass or put a decent ball into the box.

It's also a big season for Wolfenden and Smalley, they will both get a chance to break into the first team and they both, especially Wolfenden, need to take it and prove they can make it in the first team. I personally think they both will

we either have the flanks to attack down or simply punt it up to big guys.

Last season when we were beating teams in November/December time, what we were doing was playing our full backs far up the pitch as possible and helping out Lids and Taz (as a bloke who was calling him that all night) firing crosses into one striker P*rts (20 Goals).

This season, from last nights performance it looks like Eardsy' crossing has improved dramatically and if the solution is Wright on the left he looks like he can fire in a few decent crosses too. Also we have two BIG strikers with Hughes in the wings (which exact wing I am not sure??) How many goals do you think our new strikers will score with previous records as well as previous goal scoring seasons.

The Allott and JP will simply move forward together and back together a tighter defensive unit. I know we shouldn't compare last season to the coming one, but there were mistakes things that needed improving and bringing JP and Allott in we will not lose games/goals in the middle of the park!

(*Nearly) every second ball last night was ours when they were there, very impressed. Battled extremely hard and it was only a friendly.

I don't think we need a first teamer that is a creative spark, maybe someone who can liven things up in the middle, pick that one special pass late on in games substitute but not a starter, as long as we have the full backs flying.

The future's bright, the future's tangerine!

The time is now to dream of promotion and winners medals.

Spot on about the full backs (although BigFin will disagree as usual <_< ). They are vital to the attack in the modern game with its inwardly cutting wingers, and having two workhorses in midfield gives extra security against their forward runs leaving us exposed. If Taylor, Eardley, Liddell and Leftback can get the balls in we'll not be missing a Wellens type player and there will be space for perhaps McDonald to break forward. I do wonder if it's the restricted deliver that means Lomax isn't being given the chance to nail done the left back slot.

Guest sheridans_world
Spot on about the full backs (although BigFin will disagree as usual <_< ). They are vital to the attack in the modern game with its inwardly cutting wingers, and having two workhorses in midfield gives extra security against their forward runs leaving us exposed. If Taylor, Eardley, Liddell and Leftback can get the balls in we'll not be missing a Wellens type player and there will be space for perhaps McDonald to break forward. I do wonder if it's the restricted deliver that means Lomax isn't being given the chance to nail done the left back slot.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!

Hahaha! Full Backs have fans

BFL wont be happy :grin:

Gives me an idea

I'm glad we didn't win, we would have felt guilty. :lol:

Why did he run on the pitch :blink:

Most people around me just hurled abuse at him. Was he urging people to get on with him? Like someone said "just a friendly". Some got a bit excited!

What an absoloute idiot. 'It's only a Friendly' - Exactly, he'll be fined and banned for what? Getting on the pitch in a friendly against Rochdale.

Allott and Liddell impressed me, Liddell worked hard and pressured them and almost won a header. Whilst Allott, as I was advised by his former coach, is as hard as nails and not scared of anything. Davies confused me, is he right or left footed, I thought right, then when he had a real chance he was determined to cut back onto his left?

Reedited as there was no swearing in there.

Edited by Ackey
Ackey 26/07/07 - swear filter is there for a reason !

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!

Hahaha! Full Backs have fans

BFL wont be happy :grin:

Gives me an idea

whats the idea??? Still waiting!

Right - full backs, my point is not that i dont belive in the value of attacking full back play, I believe in exactly what you said, that in this division it is very hard to find someone who is good enough to play the attacking role, and strong enough to withstand the physical aspect - which is more important...

So... in my book you just get someone solid and strong - forget this attacking wonder - it aint gonna happen....

Rather have Boertien than Lee - Lee is too small and would get hammered - imagine Millwall/Orient/Northampton, they would eat him alive....

Kalala makes some very good late runs into the box like mcdonald did at the start of the season last year getting in some great positions. He scored at Barrow and was very unlucky not to score against dale after a great save. I expect Kalala to ship in with 8 goals next season.

+ does that count us 'comps' who were sat with David Eyres + ex bp legend Billy Urmson!!

Have to say thought we did ok, we seemed to improve 2nd half, when we got the ball zipping about a bit more.

I thought Davis looked a real handful! Though not so sure about comparing him to Warne!!! Davis has FAR more in his locker IMO than Warne did.

Just hope latics fans don't get on Ricketts back too early. Think he's going to be one of them players who frustrates the hell out of fans. But sure when he gets fully fit, he'll be class. Gregan and Thompson def need to work on their line, as at times, it resembled a line graph of our last 10 years league positions!!

Ratboy and Jp looked a handful in the middle, but as most have seen and are a bit worried about...where's the creativity going to come from?

Very impressed with Alessandra, very good footwork and quick, hope he breaks through......All in all, even though we are a little bit short in a couple of positions, i do think we have a stronger squad, than at this time last year!!

Hold on to your hats, here goes!! :chubb::OWTB1:

Once again Rochdale AFC prove they cant hande crowds of any nature. Especially away following's. It's happened in the past when they played Hull on sky and when Plymouth won the league and invaded the pitch en masse at the final whistle. The organisation is absolutely abysmal. There was nigh on 1,000 or so 'tics fans in attendance and a good 200 or so still waiting to get in when the game had already kicked off. Myself included. This was a mix of the one's who hadnt seen the kick off change and those coming out of the pub - no prizes for guessing which bracket I fell under. The one thing that annoyed me, was they only had 3 turnstiles on. I can guarentee they had more than 3 turnstiles open for every other stand, so why not more for the stand which has the most bodies in?

It took until half past 7 for them to open another turnstile. Once inside the stewards told everyone, "go right." - did anyone listen? did they heck. I've witnessed first hand the stewarding in the home ends at dale and it is Hitler-esque. You cant even sneeze without being given a verbal warning of 'anymore and you're out', so I kind of expected the same. Instead we got an absolute farce.

The Police were a disgrace. It was a friendly for frig sake. They made feelings run high amongst that far section near the WMG when there was no need too. They kicked out the younger one's as per usual. Hence why the entire block gave them a standing ovation and called them "big men" on their return. They didnt take a liking to one bloke sticking two fingers up in their faces. It kick started the atmosphere though and it was rocking. Dont think the Daley's appreciated my small town in Heywood chant. In fact, the daley's i've spoke too said a few were getting annoyed at it. It's a shame no one would join in with my "sing less than bury" chant. They'd of being going spare.

As for the one guy running on the pitch. The people abusing him need to ask just why he did it. He was naffed off more than likely about the youngsters getting kicked out, yet they wouldnt go near any adults. He'd been SMOKING along with a few others near me in full view of the coppers all evening. Not one came up to ask him to put it out. When he did run on the pitch, not one copper even followed him on. They waited until he came back over himself. Jobsworths!

The abuse i've been getting is awful. Even with my phone off, people have still found a way. I've had various messages left on my mum's answering machine and went to my nans this morning and had to put up with my dale supporting uncle who'd come home on his dinner purely to 'biffo bash'.

As for the game. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRING! We made too many subs for it to ever being anything resembling a competitive game.

Allott was impressive though his distribution needs working on. Lost count of how many times myself and those around would praise Allott for winning the ball and end up using the words "s*** ball though"

KALALA - Will prove an immense signing. Cracking find and a joy to watch. Won absolutely everything. Battled well and did everything right.

Davies Get someone to play through balls to him and he'll score bagfuls. Superb pace and a blistering shot. I still cant believe how powerful that shot of his in the 2nd half was.

Allesandra Looked lively. As soon as he came on he wanted the ball. Good feet and a good knowledge of who's around him. I think he's above Wolfenden in the pecking order.

Smalley Very impressive at right mid.

Ricketts - Holds it up well, but to me, he looked knackered and disinterested alot of the time. Especially when he wasnt given the ball to his feet and made to work for it. I thought he'd scored a few with his head too in his career? He should have got at least 2, but headed a bit like a salmon!

THOMPSON - my man of the match on Tuesday. He looked very impressive. Seemed to win everything and had a good touch on him.

Gregan - did well at times but he wasnt up with Thompson more often than not.

Stam - Bullet header, shocking tackle.

Taylor - awful game.

Alan Wright - always found space but wasnt that impressive. Worth another look seeing as he only met the team on monday, but I cant see him being signed personally.

Positives

Kalala

Thompson

Allesandra

Davies

Smalley

THE FANS

Negatives

The Old Bill/Stewards

Lack of Organisation at Spotland

The Abuse

That stupid dog mascot

Must admit I did enjoy the drive back over to Oldham, along Roch Valley Way we were stuck in the traffic and there were a few lads on the barriers walking and so we decided to shout things such as, "they'll be dancing in the streets of rochdale tonight."

KTF

He'd been SMOKING along with a few others near me in full view of the coppers all evening. Not one came up to ask him to put it out.

Guy in front of me asked a copper if he could smoke. The copper went and asked the steward with the tattooed head. He said it was fine and the copper come back and said no problem, smoke away. So he did.